Bucking for excitement - tips please!

estellebradley

Visit site
I've had my 5 yr old for about a year now (had him since first broken in) and every week he comes up with a new trick! His latest is bucking when cantering with other horses, it's pure excitement but not sure how to stop it? Any advice would be welcome! He does not do it on his own and all back, teeth, saddle etc checked. It was really embaressing when he did it today in the lap of honour and I nearlly fell off in front of lots of people!

xnaughtybutnicex

Visit site
my horse does it when the horses are cantering around in the field (field and arena are next to each other) usually only in the winter n have found calmer helps alot but apart from that havent found anything else to help.

Ezme

Visit site
Bucking for excitement is often something they grow out of when the novelty of being in company and/or going fast wears off. If a horse wants to buck theres not alot you can do about it except fitting a daisy rein/buckstop, basically a leather strap from the saddle dees to the crown of the bridle so the can't get thier head down. Or if you find a driving bearing rein works the same but off the mouth

Ezme

Visit site
Hence the word often not always! lol i've ridden a few who carry on, issac used to do it but it used to make me giggle becasue although he was 17.2hh his bucks were rubbish so i used to just dig my heels in and he'd keep goin. much to the amazement of my instructor, said everyone else got scared and backed off! Not me! hehehe

birdof1977

Visit site
My old mare used to do it at the age of 26. She was semi-retired by then, apart from some light hacking 3-4 times a week, I think that she was just so excited to be going somewhere other than the field or the yard and she just couldn't contain herself.
It used to make me smile and wonder if she was ever gonna act her age.