Bucking into trot

PiebaldRosie

Visit site
Hi,

I've recently started riding a horse for a friend and he's coming back into work after a back injury. He's fine to walk on a long/short rein and collect/extend etc. Because of his injury he's lost some topline (but is building up again now) and I'm having some trouble with walk-trot transitions. We don't know much about his history, but as far as we know, he's been used to going along with his head in the air and has had several bucking episodes previously when injured.

He's started bucking from walk into trot- I'm not sure whether the bucking is learnt behaviour from when his back hurt before, or excitement. If anyone has any tips/advice/exercises to get him back on the straight and narrow that'd be great!

I've tried going into trot on a longer rein in case it was a 'handbrake' issue, but he does it regardless. They're not huge bucks, but I want to tackle the issue before it develops and I'm unseated in full view of everyone out walking their dogs/having a bbq!

All the usual (tack/teeth/bit/back etc) have been checked very recently :)

be positive

Visit site
I would do some ground work with him, lunging or longreining to get him going in trot before trying it ridden, if he was in pain for a long while it may take some time before he realises it will not hurt, if that is combined with him learning a new way of going it will be even tougher for him to get into trot, a few sessions should really help and if you can do loads of transitions he will find it easier once you get back on. I would also be hacking as much as possible to build up the topline.

Pigeon

Visit site
To me that screams back pain. Give him the max dose of bute for a couple of days and see if it helps? It could be learnt, but I honestly would want to rule out discomfort first!

lindsayH

Visit site
I agree with pigeon. I've often seen bucking during upward transitions an an early sign of back pain. Some saddle fit related, some kissing spines and in some cases it eventually turned out to be related to hind limb problems. Often the problem couldn't be pinned down until it got worse. I'm sure some times this could be caused by a lack of balance (especially in young horses), or a learned behaviour but so far every time I've seen it a pain cause has eventually been found. Does the horse do it on the lunge?

Barnacle

Visit site
I also want to know if he does it on the lunge and if he does it in a school or just out hacking.

I'd also like to know exactly how you are asking for the trot. I know that sounds a bit odd... But humour me.

And what exactly do you do when he bucks?

Before his back injury, did he do this? Or was he fine?

I would also be concerned that it's pain-related. Particularly as he has had this injury. A bit of bute for a few days and then a ride (after a few days break) might help show whether this is the case. If he does not buck, you know it's pain. If he does buck, you still haven't ruled out pain as the bute may simply not be enough - but it's worth it for the possibility of discovering the cause.

I'd also double-check his saddle. I'd be inclined to get a second opinion. Saddle fitters aren't always that great. If he does it on the lunge untacked, of course, it's probably not the saddle.

It is possible the horse is reacting to anticipating pain due to his past experience. If so, in-hand work will stop this. I'd get him stretching down in walk and relaxing and then get him to do the same in trot. Then start asking for some lateral movement, haunches in and shoulder in, in both gaits. Lots of transitions and don't forget halts. Halt-walk-trot, halt-trot, walk-halt etc. If he's inclined to move forward but not stop, let him take his time. Don't force him to stop abruptly. He may just need to develop his topline a bit to be comfortable with a rider again or just is a bit green. Excitement going into trot in a school would be a bit odd... He may also have learned at some point that a few bucks put off his rider and be trying to avoid work. If that's the case, work in-hand will help with that too. Use lots of voice commands in-hand as well - that'll make it easier to ask from the saddle. Give lots of breaks to motivate him (or a treat if you are so inclined) when he is working well.

Last edited: