Buckles or billets, which do you prefer?

Depp_by_Chocolate

www.northeastequine.co.uk
Billets are actually the leather pieces that go round the bit, that is what billets refer to in saddlery, you have either buckled up billets or hook stud billets, not just "billets" So when customers tell me they want billets on their bridles it gets confusing!
Oz

Ah right, never knew that, I just automatically asumed the billet was the hook stud. I've thought that for years!

MaisieMooandCometToo

Visit site
I have both a bridle with buckles and one with hook billets.
Personally I think the hook billets look a lot smarter but although I use the 'Alec' method I still find them a lot harder than buckles when I'm swapping bits around (or cleaning tack).

GingerCat

Visit site
I much prefer the look of hook stud billets, buckles look too fussy IMO.
Also, in my long ago youth, buckles tended to go with poor quality imported leatherwork although I accept that this is now not always the case.

In 40 years of riding I have never had a 'wardrobe malfuction' with hook studs.
The majority of tack failure is usually caused by it not being cleaned properly, or dried too quickly or improperly fastened/adjusted :rolleyes:

The problem I find with stiched rather than detachable fastenings is that it's more difficult to clean bits and the joins in the leather...*see above* ;)

Theresa_F

Visit site
Billets for me though I do have a bridle with buckles for the pony as they are easier for little fingers to do

I have never had a billet hook come undone and I too put them through both keepers before pushing over the hook. I then give a pull to make sure it is secure in place.

teddyt

Visit site
I put my billets through both keepers before sliding bac on the stud, no bending or stretching of the leather. I haven't had one break on me yet, or come undone when not meant to!

Ditto this. I have always had hook studs and have never had one break or come undone.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Ditto this. I have always had hook studs and have never had one break or come undone.

Ditto this and if your tack is as supple as it should be then you'd have no problems with it at all, even with arthritis (I have it in a hand too) there is just a knack to it and doesn't take long to learn either, just do it in three simple stages - loop over the bit, push end through both billets (the little holding straps) and then hold down as you gently push backwards so that the stud holds. The stud should be sitting with the little prong over the leather. I'm sure there must be a video of how to do it gently and properly but I can't find it. When you come to dismantle the bridle then push the turned over end forward with your thumb, it should slide through both billets, off the stud so you can slip a finger under it to slide it open. Simples. :)