Showing Buckskin as a Show hunter

maddycj

Visit site
I have found a great dun yearling that is everything I am looking for.

My main question is if in 2024 a dun can be successful as a show hunter or working hunter in the upper levels?

Last time I bought a youngster I was told no, so interested to see if judges have changed.

minesadouble

Visit site
I would say for a WH colour is of little relevance.

I think the issue with a SH (assuming you're talking weight classes rather than smalls) would be where has the buckskin colouring come from?
Horses of the type of breeding and size that contest SH classes rarely come in buckskin, to my knowledge anyway, I'm happy to stand corrected.
But if you had a hunter that was the perfect type, with good conformation who moved well and gave a good ride then I don't think the colouring would hinder it.

dorsetladette

Visit site
I would say for a WH colour is of little relevance.

I think the issue with a SH (assuming you're talking weight classes rather than smalls) would be where has the buckskin colouring come from?
Horses of the type of breeding and size that contest SH classes rarely come in buckskin, to my knowledge anyway, I'm happy to stand corrected.
But if you had a hunter that was the perfect type, with good conformation who moved well and gave a good ride then I don't think the colouring would hinder it.

And in a large class an unusual/stand out colour might actually draw the judges eye. So could be a positive.

I've stewarded and listened to many conversations in the ring along the lines of 'I really like the bay' 'which one' 'the one with 2 whites and a red browband' 'over there' 'no, the other one' - half the time the judges are talking about totally different animals.

My dad did very well with a dappled grey welsh section C stallion in the 90's and he was the only one in the ring.

Jellymoon

Visit site
I don’t see any reason why not, but as above, if the dun part came from a lot of native, then he may not be a SH type…

dorsetladette

Visit site
Can I ask when they bought him? I knew the stud back in the day.

Oh wow. The owner and my father were very very close friends. We had a few colts from them. Ambassador and Eros to name a couple.

My dad owned 'Jestic' in the mid to late 70's then sold him back to John. He then bought him back as a wedding present for my mum which would have been 79/80 (ish) we then had him until the mid to late 90's when he passed. Mum still has some of his mane sellotaped to a photo frame.

We also had his son from another family friend who we (my parents) sold to a good friend who established 'Cheshmere' stud. Oddly his breeder never registered the stud name. So our friend did and she still breeds under the name now.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Brilliant!
The stud owner was very kind to us when we lost a BOGOF foal in the late 80s. (The foal was nothing to do with the stud)
They were a local stud and I know that a member of the local RC had a mare bred by Mr Taylor until fairly recently when her (the mare's) death was reported in the newsletter.
I used to ride our cob gelding on the way to the blacksmith's forge, every6 weeks or so, up the hill past the stud where 2 stallions were in fields at either side of the road. Fortunately the fencing was very strong! My heart was in my mouth as one of them was above our heads. Gelding was completely unmoved by it all.
I guess Majestic would have been likely to be one of the stallions, as we bought the cob in 1975 and had him pts in mid- 80s. What a small world!

Eta, Majestic would be back with your parents when we had the foal and Mr Taylor showed us round the stud/farm.

rara007

Visit site
Looking through the pictures from RIHS and HOYs the last few years should give you your answer. I’m not sure there’s been any but don’t follow hunters! You do get dun RIDs I think (the ones I’ve known have been Dun but grey out) and obviously WB blood is prevalent now but they still don’t seem to be making much progress in the ring.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Is the answer to this that it will be OK when the ridden coloured winners start having white heads and more white than dark colouring?