buckstop, any one used?

Welshie Squisher

Visit site
As title, has anyone used te buckstop to prevent bucking?
If so, how did you find it?
Did it actually work?

Tack has been checked, teeth done last month, back fine.
He's 5 and full of it and throws some mighty ones in going into canter at times.
I am not prepared to break my neck for no horse, so ideally I would like to find something that stops the big bucks :D

This is a horse that comes up with a new trick everytime you cure the old one. He's as cheeky as they come, and insists on constantly pushing the boundaries :(

'S'teamed

Visit site
yup

tried one on a pony we had

he was still a "bucker"

turned out, after we had the poor sad little bugger shot, that he had a huge cyst on his spine..so the "buck stop" was just another torture implement TBH

BellaBee

Visit site
My mare came in a buck-stop. Took it off sharpish after she'd got used to the yard (new yard was complete culture shock to her so she bucked round and round for days)

Yes it does work for the huge vertical bucks, but I found that she could still kick, buck, and leap in the.
I hated her in it as it made her miserable due to naturally having a low head carriage, which she couldn't do in it. Plus you can't jump in it.

I wouldn't use one again on a horse unless the bucks were really dangerous, and even then only occasionally just to remind them that they can be stopped. Oh and the part that attaches from the poll to the bit slid in her eye every few minutes.:eek:

Welshie Squisher

Visit site
Aww that's so sad 'S'teamed :(

I am certain its not pain related and have had things checked and also riding instructor thinks it's a just youth and exuberance :D
He will hopefully grow out of it, until then I need something that can prevent the real big buck, they are near on vertical with his head fully beneath his knees - only if allowed to buck again and again, they build in size :(

Welshie Squisher

Visit site
Thanks BellaBee.
In an ideal world I'd not use one as I don't like gadgets but I've had a few recently that have been massive, if I don't do something to stop him I'm gonna get hurt.
I don't care about bucking, the messing about ones and cow kicks just nake me and my daughter laugh, but these big ones are new in past few weeks.
He's kike a spanish riding school horse, he takes a huge leap then throws a massive buck or he just bucks but several in a row which get bigger each time.

He's a ****, last month running up the school banks was his "in" trick.
2 months before, it was rearing, prior to that it was napping :(

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
that doesnt sound like a naughty horse tbh

re the buck stop.

monty roberts used one on a horse in a demo once. at the time it was claimed there was nothing wrong with said horse. as it turned out there was a lot physically wrong with the horse.

celia

Visit site
Would agree that bucking to that extent sounds like a reaction to something. I hope this doesn't offend you but have you tried a more experienced/confident rider on board? If it genuinely is just him being naughty/playful then someone who will get on and ride him through it may be what is needed. You've mentioned that he's had several other 'tricks' which just makes me wonder if he knows he can get away with it? However, if he still persists with it - especially in such a dramatic manner - then I really would be assuming it is pain and would get the vet out to investigate further.

Welshie Squisher

Visit site
Would agree that bucking to that extent sounds like a reaction to something. I hope this doesn't offend you but have you tried a more experienced/confident rider on board? If it genuinely is just him being naughty/playful then someone who will get on and ride him through it may be what is needed. You've mentioned that he's had several other 'tricks' which just makes me wonder if he knows he can get away with it? However, if he still persists with it - especially in such a dramatic manner - then I really would be assuming it is pain and would get the vet out to investigate further.

No this doesn't offend :)
He's had very experienced riders on him, and even a riding instructor. He is a very good boy with a good rider.
The thing with him is he's way too smart for his own good, and mine for that matter :(
He knows the difference between a very good rider and a not so good one.
Depending on how he assesses your ability, he behaves accordingly.

He doesn't rear anymore because I consistently rode through it, he doesn't gate nap anymore because again I rode through it and he never got away with it.
I can't ride through bucking if I am on the floor, and I am gonna end up on it so I need to do something now before I end up on the deck and lose my confidence, which I went through hell getting it back but thats another storie ;)

He's not the kind of horse that you can get a better rider to ride through a problem, he's way to smart and knows when I am back on him and reverts instantly back to his original behaviour. I've tried it, had a Riding instructor ride him 4 times a week for over a month, he was perfect for her.
I got on him, he napped, ran up banks the lot and was rather pleased with himself. In time I have learnt to deal with everything he throws at me, as has my daughter.

You know, everyone assumes pain, or there must be a reason, the tack etc.
But sometimes pony's are just naughty gits and I know for a fact that this pony is just damn right naughty at times, he's young and constantly pushing the boundaries.

Yes he may be naughty because he needs a more experienced rider and he's young (there's your probable reason) but the reality is I own him and I can't just pop him into a drawer and say oh I'll be back in a couple of years when I am a better rider :p
I have to carry on moving forwards, I never thought I could get by the rearing but I did, now I have to learn to deal with the bucking.

ETS: He has been checked by a vet, has had his saddle looked at by a qualified saddle fitter, has had his teeth done. I have done all the necessary checks :D

Last edited:

charmeroo

Visit site
Yes. Recently fitted to a friend's horse by Monty Roberts practitioners. Seems to be working well - fitted loosely but not interfering with way of going. Also very good psychological aid for nervous rider!

Charliechalk

Visit site
Have you had his back x-rayed? My horse used to buck going into canter, the more you pushed him the worse he got. Had two vets look at him, full lameness work up etc, was told there was nothing wrong with him and that he was just trying it on as he was a new horse. I'm not the most confident rider and thought he was just too much for me. Anyway things got to the point where i was going to sell him as i totally lost confidence with him and had all the usual checks done. Another vet was on the yard one day and i asked him to look at him, he immediately found tightness in his back and said he thought he had kissings, after a bone scan it turned out to be arthritis. Just thought it might be worth a try getting a second opinion, if i hadn't asked the last vet i would have probably sold my horse on. After steroid injections into his spine he is a totally different horse. Interestingly my horse only ever bucked with me, my instructor and friend rode him and he never bucked?!

Welshie Squisher

Visit site
Yes. Recently fitted to a friend's horse by Monty Roberts practitioners. Seems to be working well - fitted loosely but not interfering with way of going. Also very good psychological aid for nervous rider!

Thanks, I was concerned about it interfering with his general way of going so I am glad to read this.
You are so right about the psychological factor. He will only be wearing it out hacking, but the thought of having it on knowing the massive bucks won't happen means that both my daughter and I will continue to hack him out.
I'm sure life restricted to a school would only worsen his behaviour.

Well I've ordered one, 2 in fact as my friend asked me to get her very badly behaved pony one, funny enough he's also 5 ;)
Its worth a try, I've been seriously injured before and I'm just not willing to risk my neck anymore for any horse.
I truely believe that this lad will not only come good, but he'll be great within a year or two, I just dont have the guts to just ride through everything without a bit of help at times. Our Riding instructor shakes his head at this lad, calls him a very rude boy :eek:

Welshie Squisher

Visit site
Have you had his back x-rayed? My horse used to buck going into canter, the more you pushed him the worse he got. Had two vets look at him, full lameness work up etc, was told there was nothing wrong with him and that he was just trying it on as he was a new horse. I'm not the most confident rider and thought he was just too much for me. Anyway things got to the point where i was going to sell him as i totally lost confidence with him and had all the usual checks done. Another vet was on the yard one day and i asked him to look at him, he immediately found tightness in his back and said he thought he had kissings, after a bone scan it turned out to be arthritis. Just thought it might be worth a try getting a second opinion, if i hadn't asked the last vet i would have probably sold my horse on. After steroid injections into his spine he is a totally different horse. Interestingly my horse only ever bucked with me, my instructor and friend rode him and he never bucked?!

No I've not had his back x-rayed, simply because everyone thinks it behaviour related, not even bad behaviour, just excitement with being young.
This horse in only learning, he was only backed at 4 and hasn't done very much, although he's an expert in evasion!
He gets quite excited going into canter, and if you try to steady him or hold him back, thats when the big bucks come, I think they are in protest at being held back a bit. Just letting him go isn't really an option as I think I'd have a nervous breakdown because he often leaps into canter :(

This only happens when hacking, he goes into canter fine in the school.
This doesn't suggest pain :confused:

SpruceRI

Visit site

One of my friends has a pony that bucked a lot, especially just after you'd first got on. Did it with anyone who was brave enough to ride him as the bucks were quite big sometimes.

They've had the pony for years and all vet checks/lameness work ups showed nothing up. Eventually they had him scanned. He also has arthritis in his spine just behind where the saddle sits. And after the steroid injections is now much better

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
Our green youngster used to buck all the time going into canter, was literally due to being unbalanced, when he became balanced the bucks are rare now, just a thought? xx

Welshie Squisher

Visit site
Our green youngster used to buck all the time going into canter, was literally due to being unbalanced, when he became balanced the bucks are rare now, just a thought? xx

Yes this is quite possible, and with me on him I'm sure it would make the problem worse as I'm not the greatest rider.
He is much better on one reign than the other, he is visibly unbalanced on his right reign, but on his left he's way better, in fact he can canter a 10M circle on his left which is pretty impressive as he's a chunky boy.

The bucking out hacking has always been in a straight line, so good and bad reigns I guess dont come into it, but lack of balance could well do so.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
yes i do use the buck stop i have a small one for my welshie

and a cob size one for my 15 hh.1

they do work, some need to be shorter than others depending on the horse.

it works by if the horse lowers its head to put a buck in , the buck stop raises the bit in horses mouth which is uncomfortable, so horse decides not to do it , so bucking stops or is reduced , My gelding tried to buck and couldn't same with the pony .

thatsmygirl

Visit site
I use to have a ex racer who stood on her head but use to keep her head up!!! That's how I sat them all so it wouldn't off worked for her |0|
oh I haven't started my diet yet welshy squasher building up to it :)

Archiepoo

Visit site
Hi welshie squisher ,is your horse that bucks a section D? if it is then that could his reason for doing it-they simply love to buck!! ive got one and hes exactly the same ,clever, evasive and a right b**gger! I for one will be very interested in whether the buck stop works for you!!;)