BUCS Nationals. What's the format?

charlimouse

Visit site
So yesterday we had our BUCS regionals (Championship), which by some miracle (given one of our team members fell off in the SJ :rolleyes3:) we won :biggrin3:. I was even more shocked to win individually :eek3:, with another member of the team in second behind me, both of us finishing on 0 penalties :biggrin3:.

So we are off to Nationals :biggrin3:. I have had a look on the BUCS and Student equestrian websites, but can't really find out what the format is, other than it is a knock out competition of 4 rounds in each discipline. So if anybody could give me a bit more of an idea what to expect it would be much appreciated :smile3:. Then we had better start practising!!!

Thanks!

GinaGeo

Visit site
I can't really help with the format! My teammates have told me that the first round consists of a quadrant type dressage test. The final round is a freestyle to music at (possibly) advanced medium? Not sure what happens in between though! The SJ, I think goes upto 1m30? I'm not really sure - would be interested to find out though, would be nice to be a smidgen prepared!

It's all very exciting though!!

hcm88

Visit site
Well done!
From what I know (I haven't done it yet a girl I teach did it last year so we went through it a lot), you have 4 rounds in the show jumping of max 100cm, max 105cm, 1.10-1.15 and 1.20-1.25. The best rider on each horse (there are 3 on each horse I think) goes through to the next round. For dressage the first phase is a quadrille-style trio, top placings progress to next round (which I believe is a normal test) and then 3rd. Final is between two riders performing two tests, one a technical and one to music. I think!

I know you get separate dressage and sj results that are then merged for an overall

Zeb93

Visit site
Well done for qualifying! Our team qualified on Wednesday as well so will see you there!! I went last year as an individual so know a bit about what to expect. Hopefully all the info will be on the website soon anyway. On my phone ATM but will post a proper reply later!

MungoMadness

Visit site
No idea as I have never gotten as far as regionals let alone nationals, but wanted to say good luck!

I imagine the test etc is all on the website where the league test is?

Zeb93

Visit site
The jumping and dressage are separate competitions with results for each and then a combined result. The first round decides the team competition and then all further rounds are purely to determine individual results. The draw for the dressage is done in the evening of registration and then the first and second rounds are the first day. The first round is a quadrille test (!!) so you nominate three members of the team to ride the test together. The fourth person rides it with the other people dropped from their teams. There is a judge for each rider and a judge for the overall impression. The marks from all four judges count for the team result. Individually, it is only on how you ride the test, as if it was just you in the arena. There are three people on each horse and the top person on each horse goes through.

The second round is elementary level but has to be ridden in sitting trot. I found this really separated out those who had a chance and those who were weaker. Again the top rider on each horse qualifies, and six riders go through to the semi final which takes place the next day. The test for this is roughly medium level. There are two horses so two people go through to the final. In the final both riders ride both horses, and do a freestyle on one and a set test on the other.

The show jumping is the final day and is the same format as the dressage (without the quadrille) so three on each horse and top rider qualifying. The first round is 1.00, the second 1.05 - 1.10, the third around 1.15 and the final, where again both riders ride both horses, is around 1.20.

It's great fun and everyone really gets behind each other. Even if you don't get past the first round it's an amazing experience! I got to the semi final of the sj which was awesome as most people are finished so there are lots of people watching and supporting. I loved every minute and can't wait to go back again this year.

Hope this helps a bit - all the info should be on the bucs website soon anyway :)

GinaGeo

Visit site
Great thank you! It's all starting to seem a little clearer! Thanks for asking Charlimouse!

MungoMadness

Visit site
So much respect to the people who get to those final rounds, absolutely sod jumping a horse I've never ridden round a 1.20! 90cm is enough for me thanks!