Budget jump ideas

Mrs C

Visit site
Looking for any ideas to make small jumps. We have trotting poles but no jump wings. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks

HeyMich

Visit site
Tyres
Buckets (upturned)
Milk crates
Oil drums with the handy hanging jump cups
Hay bales

Or if it's for really small jumps/raised poles you can use cheap baby potties (for £1 each at the pound shop) or just simple blocks of wood.

welshpony216

Visit site
this^^^^^
For fillers, you could use
old ripped blankets
hay
milk cartoons (with some gravel or sand in them so they don't go flying around)
milk crates
cones
I have used cardboard boxes
buckets (upturned)

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
I would advise against using milk crates for wings. They are extremely dangerous should your horse attemp to duck out the jump and land on one.

Because they are made of strong plastic they can cut like a knife and should a horse land on one it wont be able to get its foot out and will tear it's leg (and tendons) to shreds. Especially this https://www.homebrewcentre.co.uk/plastic-bottle-crate-holds-20-beer-bottles:

It always makes me grimace when i see physios and chiropractors standing on one to get the necessary height to treat a horses back.

Last edited:

GoldenWillow

Visit site
If you are at all handy you can make stands. We used 6ft Square fence posts, and I think it was 3" x 1 1/2" inch for the feet and attached them like this. These are ones I found on ebay, but we cut the ends of the base pieces on an angle so there were no square edges. We used screws rather than nails and we did have to buy a thick drill bits for the holes. It would be 7 or 8 years ago that we made them and we bought wood from wood yard rather than retail outlet but they worked out at approx £5 per stand.

1611588873815.png

Mrs C

Visit site
Thanks all. Yes I'm worries about using buckets or crates in case she puts a foot through. Hay bakes - would the pole roll if it was hit?
Thanks for the pics goldenwillow I can ask hubby.
Seen some plastic polyblock type things but they're 80 quid a pair!

stormox

Visit site
Barrels, and you can get things that hang on them as jump cups if you dont want them full height.
Tyres - make a great jump on their own or put piles on them - they can be used in a lot of ways.
Bales as fillers.
Pallets, as they are or cut in half
You can make a great course with odds and ends and imagination

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
i would make cavaletti ends personally as will give you a lot more flexibility. Marine Ply and off you go. We copied the design from the Jump for joy ones.