Budget Trailer Camera - It worked!

BenvardenRach2

Visit site
Hi All,

We have been wanting to get a trailer camera for a little while as one of ours doesn't travel too well, everyone seemed to recommend the Rydale cameras they look fabulous but a bit out of budget at the mo!
We purchased a car reversing camera on ebay for £30, for that price it was worth a shot! Turned up with Chinese instructions and a different monitor to what was shown on ebay...

Luckily my dad is incredibly handy, he managed to wire the camera to the internal light in the trailer. He also wired up the monitor screen to a cigarette lighter adapter so that we can just plug and play rather than having to cut into the internal car wires :eek: It is all 'wireless' as such so that when the car lights are on the trailer camera also comes on.

It works bloody brilliantly!! The picture is great and is live no lagging at all! :p super chuffed with our bargain, it'll be such a relief to be able to keep an eye on the horses :)

Just need to figure out how to get rid of the reversing guide lines haha

attachment.php

Alibear

Visit site
Its great isn't it. Mine is just a video baby monitor that's wireless, stuck up high in the trailer with a portable USB battery for power and the screen plus into the car lighter. No wiring required and no skill required for installation. I just have to remember to charge up the USB battery now and again but it lasts about 12 hours of video time. It was someone on here who posted their success with it first and I just copied it. It also has night vision and a temperature sensor which has been hand in the recent heat. It's been interesting to see how the temp does drop down once you're moving and how quickly it heats up when stationary.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Its great isn't it. Mine is just a video baby monitor that's wireless, stuck up high in the trailer with a portable USB battery for power and the screen plus into the car lighter. No wiring required and no skill required for installation. I just have to remember to charge up the USB battery now and again but it lasts about 12 hours of video time. It was someone on here who posted their success with it first and I just copied it. It also has night vision and a temperature sensor which has been hand in the recent heat. It's been interesting to see how the temp does drop down once you're moving and how quickly it heats up when stationary.

that is a brilliant idea!

Identityincrisis

Visit site
None of the above suggestions worked for me :( the chinese reversing cameras were faulty (2x) and the baby monitor didn't want to know.

In the end I bit the bullet and ordered an Equi Vue, it's not the cheapest solution but it's fantastic, and like op I have a nervous traveller so it has brought huge peace of mind

JustMe22

Visit site
For those who don't want to do the fancy camera trailer, we bought a very cheap secondhand old-school go pro hero session something or other. It comes with the mount and everything so just stuck the mount to the front of the trailer and the picture comes through to my phone via the app.

BenvardenRach2

Visit site

Oh that sounds fab, I have heard of people using baby monitors! Love the night vision and temperature feature!

BenvardenRach2

Visit site
None of the above suggestions worked for me :( the chinese reversing cameras were faulty (2x) and the baby monitor didn't want to know.

In the end I bit the bullet and ordered an Equi Vue, it's not the cheapest solution but it's fantastic, and like op I have a nervous traveller so it has brought huge peace of mind

Oh no such a shame that the cheaper options didn't work for you - I hope mine doesn't crash! :(
Really does give you piece of mine it''s priceless!!

BenvardenRach2

Visit site
For those who don't want to do the fancy camera trailer, we bought a very cheap secondhand old-school go pro hero session something or other. It comes with the mount and everything so just stuck the mount to the front of the trailer and the picture comes through to my phone via the app.

My partner actually suggested this!! Gopro was plan B if this camera didn't work.
Brilliant idea :D

SammyDingle

Visit site
I bought this exact one (was only £25 when i bought).. we wired to internal light in trailer also.

I used it for 3 years with the trailer and never had an issue, sold the trailer and hopefully it is still working for the new owner

jm2k

Visit site
sorry to jump on old thread but...... what set up did you do for the camera in the trailer?

Floxie

Visit site
I'd love to know specifically what cameras people are buying - I've seen loads on Amazon but can't narrow my search down - I think the problem was finding one with a monitor that can be powered by USB/cigarette lighter, because I don't want to use my phone.

Floxie

Visit site
If you get a monitor that can be USB powered you can easily get cigarette lighter to usb converters. That's what I use. Unfortunately the baby monitor unit I use isn't sold any more.
Although this looks the same but a different brand name on it https://www.amazon.co.uk/LifetSmart...XC4PTVT1R31&psc=1&refRID=2WF57W08EXC4PTVT1R31
Yes, sorry, that's what I meant by USB/cigarette lighter, I got a bit lazy with words so maybe that didn't read right! :D Thanks for the link that's excellent - see, I can't see anywhere on there where it says what type of plug the monitor uses - that's why I was struggling! (maybe it is there and I'm being dim though...)

Edit - I stand corrected, sent it to the hubby for review and he pointed out the 5v bit means both monitor & camera are USB powered :) Fab. Aside from the number of reviews saying it breaks after a few months, eek..!

Last edited:

BenvardenRach2

Visit site
Hi All,
Not sure why my original post has disappeared!

My very clever father wired it all up for me i have just asked him to give me the details on what exactly he did as i'm clueless :D

This is the camera we bought..
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-REAR...831848&hash=item23abd64dc5:g:CgIAAOSwIfBchitu

It's a car reversing camera, unfortunately cant get rid of those reversing lines .. but this is it in action yesterday.
x.jpg

We have it plugged into the rear cigarette lighter so I have the monitor in the back to keep an eye on him.. the picture is pretty good and we seem to have a strong connection it never drops out!
I'm pretty sure my dad bought a cigarette lighter converter type thing - bare with me when he texts me back I shall let you know exactly how he did it ;)

Alibear

Visit site
Yes, sorry, that's what I meant by USB/cigarette lighter, I got a bit lazy with words so maybe that didn't read right! :D Thanks for the link that's excellent - see, I can't see anywhere on there where it says what type of plug the monitor uses - that's why I was struggling! (maybe it is there and I'm being dim though...)

Edit - I stand corrected, sent it to the hubby for review and he pointed out the 5v bit means both monitor & camera are USB powered :) Fab. Aside from the number of reviews saying it breaks after a few months, eek..!

Maybe I got lucky, mines a few years old now and hasn't let me down.

BenvardenRach2

Visit site
The answer!! ..

For the camera (in the trailer) I tapped into the interior light circuit for the power.
In the car, rather than hard-wire in, I connected a 12v cigarette lighter to the cables so I can simply fit and disconnect it into the lighter point.
Because I tapped into the interior light, I need to have the side lights on (as a minimum) to get the camera powers up and for the image to come through.

Not sure how easy that is to do as he is an engineer :p:D

Floxie

Visit site
I'm thinking most of the complaints are about the battery life of the monitor, which if you're running it off the cigarette lighter won't be a problem. I'd like one with the camera wired into the trailer electrics so I don't have to worry about taking it on and off and charging (like the reversing camera BenvardenRach2 has), but I suspect hubby would kill me (he's had to wire reversing cameras to all my cars and doesn't really enjoy it, not being one of nature's electricians :D

Floxie

Visit site
The answer!! ..

For the camera (in the trailer) I tapped into the interior light circuit for the power.
In the car, rather than hard-wire in, I connected a 12v cigarette lighter to the cables so I can simply fit and disconnect it into the lighter point.
Because I tapped into the interior light, I need to have the side lights on (as a minimum) to get the camera powers up and for the image to come through.

That makes sense, thank you! Like, I'd not want to do it myself, but I'd understand what they were doing if somebody else were to do it for me haha!

BenvardenRach2

Visit site
That makes sense, thank you! Like, I'd not want to do it myself, but I'd understand what they were doing if somebody else were to do it for me haha!

Yep that's exactly what I think too , I could never do that myself!
Find yourself someone handy, bribe them with a nice treat and you'll be sorted ;)

AFB

Visit site
I've just bought a cheap fake Go-Pro from eBay with built in wifi - downloaded the app to my old tablet and hey presto, sorted for £20!

Tablet now lives in the glove box ready for OH/supergroom to keep an eye on when we're out and about.

BenvardenRach2

Visit site
I've just bought a cheap fake Go-Pro from eBay with built in wifi - downloaded the app to my old tablet and hey presto, sorted for £20!

Tablet now lives in the glove box ready for OH/supergroom to keep an eye on when we're out and about.

Do you have the link for this AFB? built in Wifi I am intrigued!
Would like to get stable cameras but no wifi to connect too so would probably need to buy a camera with sim card insert and pay for a monthly data sim

AFB

Visit site
Do you have the link for this AFB? built in Wifi I am intrigued!
Would like to get stable cameras but no wifi to connect too so would probably need to buy a camera with sim card insert and pay for a monthly data sim

This is the link - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4K-2-Ult...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The Wifi isn't internet connection as such, more like a bluetooth type connection so you need the two devices within a certain range of each other. It basically emits a signal like your home router would for your phone/tablet to connect to the camera, but doesn't then connect to the web.

Probably wouldn't work for what you're looking for but it's decent quality footage and comes with various attachments which made it easy to fit so may help someone else.

jm2k

Visit site
The answer!! ..

Is it possible to get a photo or a Dummy Guide to tapping into the interior trailer light for the power?
Dont mind a bit of DIY if i have a good step by step guide :)

Esveetoo

New User
Visit site
Hi All,

We have been wanting to get a trailer camera for a little while as one of ours doesn't travel too well, everyone seemed to recommend the Rydale cameras they look fabulous but a bit out of budget at the mo!
We purchased a car reversing camera on ebay for £30, for that price it was worth a shot! Turned up with Chinese instructions and a different monitor to what was shown on ebay...

Luckily my dad is incredibly handy, he managed to wire the camera to the internal light in the trailer. He also wired up the monitor screen to a cigarette lighter adapter so that we can just plug and play rather than having to cut into the internal car wires :eek: It is all 'wireless' as such so that when the car lights are on the trailer camera also comes on.

It works bloody brilliantly!! The picture is great and is live no lagging at all! :p super chuffed with our bargain, it'll be such a relief to be able to keep an eye on the horses :)

Just need to figure out how to get rid of the reversing guide lines haha

attachment.php

Hi, can you give a step by step guide to wiring the camera inside the trailer please,? I bought this one.... thanks! :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HD-1080P...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0