Building a Manege - tape or glue the membrane?

HappyNeds

Visit site
As the title really, we’ve just had the first membrane laid over the level subsoil and in the drainage channels (not glued, just overlapped about a foot). Assume this is ok as once the stone is on top nothing will move.

But the second membrane - the contractor has asked us if we would like it taped or glued, and we can’t find any opinions on which is best? Any ideas?

I have read that the top membrane does need to be overlapped 1 meter, in case the glue/tape etc fails, as this reduces the possibility of sand making it down into the drainage stone, but I can’t find anything else.

Thank you :)

HappyNeds

Visit site
Thanks Booboos. He's already laid the first membrane, and that's only up to the boards (I was hoping he would leave it long enough to staple to the boards but he didn't). Does this really matter or not, as long as the top membrane is attached to the boards?

I'm off to google how heat sealing works, assume it's some kind of hair-dryer that melts it together somehow?

catembi

Visit site
Pls could you PM me when you get an answer?

My school was done by someone who has since gone out of business & every single membrane edge has come up (top membrane) as the edges weren't treated in any way. The whole thing, as you can imagine, is one almighty trip hazard. The stone base under the top membrane is also far from flat, & we've got to try & re-do it all ourselves as our budget is pretty well zero!

Stick your beak in at every stage & make sure it's right as you don't want to spend £££££ & end up with a c**p unrideable school a few years later!

T x

Booboos

Visit site
First membrane you don't need to do anything, the stone will keep it down (provided it is all laid with a minimal amount of care).

The top membrane should reach the level of the bottom of one level of boards (there can be other boards below if you wish) so that it goes under the boards and is tacked onto the outside - does that make sense?

Not sure what it is called but it's kind of a large hairdryer thingey operated by gas bottles. Most builders have one or you can rent one at builders' rental places - they should all know what you mean if you describe it. It's a bit like ironing the two membranes together only the heat is placed between them not above them.

Booboos

Visit site
Pls could you PM me when you get an answer?

My school was done by someone who has since gone out of business & every single membrane edge has come up (top membrane) as the edges weren't treated in any way. The whole thing, as you can imagine, is one almighty trip hazard. The stone base under the top membrane is also far from flat, & we've got to try & re-do it all ourselves as our budget is pretty well zero!

Stick your beak in at every stage & make sure it's right as you don't want to spend £££££ & end up with a c**p unrideable school a few years later!

T x

That sounds like a mess, so sorry to hear about it!

To fix it you will need to be brave and pull it all up, localized solutions do not work if the hardcore is unlevel. Unfortunately you will lose the membrane in the process (it is relatively delicate) but it is crucial that you get to the hardcore and level that off properly (for this you will need a large digger and experienced driver with laser leveller). Re-doing the membrane is a DIY job as is doing retaining boards though so you should save some money there (buy the most expensive membrane you can afford and as close to 500 as you can).