Building a stable in a field

annt

Visit site
My 2 mares have been living out 24/7 this winter with a field shelter for comfort and they are fine but I am planning to build a stable in their field in the spring to give me flexibility to bring them in next winter etc. I am planning on getting a 2 box mobile stable with tack room on end but really need you experienced folks to guide me on what to place down as a base? And do I need planning permission etc? Am I right in thinking if it's mobile it's ok? Want to be armed with some good knowledge before I get any builders in who may just want me to spend a load of cash😂😂thanks xx

debsflo

Visit site
I have a mobile double stable in my field on metal skids. One side is a field shelter. I just have rubber mats on earth and shavings and its never muddy. I do have it on high ground which drains well and have matting in front for hard standing.

WelshD

Visit site
As above some councils insist they be moved regularly. Even if not moved any base other than mats or possibly slabs is likely to be seen as permanent therefore making the argument that the stables are moveable pointless

Mike007

Visit site
They can insist all they like ,but ignore them . If they want to spend mony on enforcement and appeal that is their loss.It is a bullying tactic . The best way to deal with bullies is to stand up to them . I had a council that tried to bully me ,ultimately it cost them over 3 million at today's values. Oddly enough at the same time their accounts showed an unaccounted expenditure of roughly the same amount. An accounting error that was never explained. Like hell. It was that if the ratepayers ever saw how they had wasted the money they would have been sacked and possibly prosecuted.

Sparemare

Visit site
We have large mobile stable blocks. We can move them and have moved them. I have a video of them being moved to prove to the council if they ever turn up here.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Hope they never ask for mine to be moved! They are literally slotted between a school and shed. It would be impossible but... they are on skids so are in theory mobile!
Ours too have dirt floors with a thick layer of scalpings then well fitted mats.

annt

Visit site
Thanks for all the advice!! I think the consensus seems to be plenty of hardcore and rubber mats on top. Looking forward to getting them now! X

popsdosh

Visit site
Thanks for all the advice!! I think the consensus seems to be plenty of hardcore and rubber mats on top. Looking forward to getting them now! X

That will need planning permission in its own right! Even without movable stables on top.

jumping.jack_flash

Visit site
It will need planning permission, and dam right . . What would yo do IF someone built crap in a field. . .planning permission is there to protect everyone, even when it may seem unfair at times! . .

X

pinkypug1

Visit site
I'm doing the same at the moment to move my retired horse out of livery but putting in a large field shelter with concrete hardstanding in front then opening onto a large all weather turnout paddock. This way the horses can always be out but if the field gets really wet they can be locked in the all weather bit!! It's beside my OH business out in the middle of the countryside no not sure about planning but he's sorting hey whole thing.