Building a stables

JBM

Visit site
Perfect thanks! I’ve already decided to move the doors out into the attached paddocks to the right side so needing can be put on the left.
It will be for livery so just wondering what anyone would add or not like for handiness for their own horses and such

thank you ☺️

Attachments

• 257B3673-FFB6-4CC4-B3BC-1D5011FE5F46.jpeg
    257B3673-FFB6-4CC4-B3BC-1D5011FE5F46.jpeg
    310.8 KB · Views: 147

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
That's a rather more major undertaking than I was expecting :).

Can't quite make out some of the script. Just the one fairly modestly sized tack room between 12 livery stables may not be sufficient?

Otherwise, an American barn in which each stable has its own access to a small turn out area sounds ideal. But would be very costly to install from scratch.

Reactions: JBM

JBM

Visit site
It’s 12x12 which I was worried about too the planners only problem was that making the tack room bigger makes the whole shed bigger. I was thinking cuz of the feed room also being 12x12 and I don’t think it would need all that space? That shelving and such could be put up for storage?
Or maybe I could have an indoor and outdoor wash bay so the wash bay by the tack room could become part of the tack room that would make it 12x24 instead.
haha yeah I went for a big stables

Asha

Visit site
i agree with TP, that size tack room wont be big enough for a livery for 12. Mine is 12x14 and thats just for my own use. You'd be surprised how quickly it gets filled up. Rugs /brushes etc etc. is there another area for storage of hay/bedding etc

Looks a great set up though.

JBM

Visit site
Would 12x24 be suitable with extra shelving in the feed room? And move one of the wash bays outside? Or would one wash bay be enough? There’s a separate shed for bedding and hay a bit away from the stables for fire safety
Also was thinking of having bars up outside stables for hanging rugs up

also thank you for all the nice comments ☺️

Last edited:

JBM

Visit site
Photo:

Attachments

• 0A1A5BD2-F0AA-4BF7-9E7E-C508E98EC799.jpeg
    0A1A5BD2-F0AA-4BF7-9E7E-C508E98EC799.jpeg
    299.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 84D30CE3-D0FE-4D42-932A-5696EDEF9709.jpeg
    84D30CE3-D0FE-4D42-932A-5696EDEF9709.jpeg
    258.8 KB · Views: 57
  • AE816CC6-8631-434B-9069-CB88BCE4A07B.jpeg
    AE816CC6-8631-434B-9069-CB88BCE4A07B.jpeg
    288.4 KB · Views: 57

Muddywellies

Visit site
I would at least double the size of that tack room. Also you'll need a separate area for the drying and storage of rugs. Do you have an area for crosstying for grooming and tacking up? Do you specifically need two 12x12 wash bays?

AntiPuck

Visit site
The tack room may be ok if there's also space for lockable trunks/boxes outside of each stable, for example? How exciting!

JBM

Visit site
I was just using the wash bays for tacking and grooming as they will have cross ties? All in one kinda area. I was suggested to have 12x12 so the horse can move a round a bit without accidentally crushing you
I’ve gone back to the planner with the idea of stretching the tack room out into the wash bay so there would only be one then he just needs to get back with the new plans☺️
also was planning to have long bars on the outside of each stable to hang rugs

Otherwise

Visit site
I'd say don't underestimate how much storage space you need, most people have far more rugs and pads than they really need. At my yard we have a tack room with space for 2 saddles and 2 bridles per horse and then above that is the rug room with wall to wall shelving. People generally have a rug rail inside their stable for the rugs they're using everyday and also have a box outside their stable as they need somewhere to store a grooming kit, first aid kit, numnahs, boots, lunging stuff etc.

I like having a sink in the tackroom along with a saddle stand and hooks to hang the bridle whist I'm tack cleaning. It's also nice to have a freezer for ice boots.

The other thing to think about is where would people clip, if it's in the wash box where and how would you run electricity?

JBM

Visit site
I'd say don't underestimate how much storage space you need, most people have far more rugs and pads than they really need. At my yard we have a tack room with space for 2 saddles and 2 bridles per horse and then above that is the rug room with wall to wall shelving. People generally have a rug rail inside their stable for the rugs they're using everyday and also have a box outside their stable as they need somewhere to store a grooming kit, first aid kit, numnahs, boots, lunging stuff etc.

I like having a sink in the tackroom along with a saddle stand and hooks to hang the bridle whist I'm tack cleaning. It's also nice to have a freezer for ice boots.

The other thing to think about is where would people clip, if it's in the wash box where and how would you run electricity?
Well the bigger tack room would be 12x24 so should be a long enough wall for stacked saddle racks and then bridle racks.
2 walls can be full shelving and as the feed room is also 12x12 there can be extra shelving in there higher up for storage purposes
Water and electricity should be easy enough as we already have a small farm near where the stables will be being built so it’s just about taking it over.

JBM

Visit site
Thanks so much ☺️ And I’d be happy to add stuff in once it’s built too if liveries wanted it. It’s my first time building a whole stables ? so I honestly probably won’t get it perfect but as close as is good!

paddi22

Visit site
looks amazing!!!.. might be handy to walk through in your head how a day will work. where will liveries put wheelbarrows? where will you store shavings and hay? where do 24 rugs go? where will 12 plus saddle and bridles fit? will people have lockers to keep stuff? how big are they? where do people clip? where at the electrical points? 2 washdays seems excessive. bigger backroom would be of more use than a spare wash bay.

JBM

Visit site
Thank you I’ll defo do that!
I’ve sent back the plans to redraw and I get to redraw them once more after that so just waiting to see how the bigger tack room would be which leaves one wash bay

paddi22

Visit site
also as a past livery person, it was nice to have a little area for a kettle for tea and to have a chat!

JBM

Visit site
also as a past livery person, it was nice to have a little area for a kettle for tea and to have a chat!
Of course! I’m going to chat to my dad about that cuz we might have a kitchen between the farm and stables for everyone ☺️ Tea is always important!

Muddywellies

Visit site
At my yard whete there are 12 horses, the rug room is full of rugs. The YO does limit how many rugs we can keep there but we all still have about 2 turnout rugs and then 3 or 4 other rugs per horse. And it's horrible when they are all hanging up drying (and they take ages to dry) and the room stinks. You'll seriously need plenty of rug storage plus a drying room with heating and extraction. I wouldn't have boxes or rug rails outside stables as it will never be tidy.
If you're offering DIY you really will need an awful lot of storage. Not quite so much if it's full livery, but still more than your existing plans have allowed for.
Also you'll need a loo and somewhere to make a brew.
And how do you get to the wash bay/tacking up areas? Do you have to go all around the outside to get to them?
Hay storage must be separate from the building due to fire risk. You'll need hay soaking facilities and good drainage near the barn. Also bedding storage?
It does look fab and with a little tweaking it will be wonderful.

JBM

Visit site
Another room can be added in future but for now with my budget the one shed is it ? as the all year turnout was the most important thing to me.
You have to go outside yes but the actual wash area is sheltered
We are providing haylage as that’s what we make which would be included in the livery price and the haylage and bedding shed is away from the barn due to fire risk

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Never underestimate how much stuff some liveries “can’t possibly live without”! I gave mine a 8x5 shed each and they still had stuff elsewhere lying around!