Building an arena

StephL

Visit site
I am researching about building an arena, would be looking at approx 20m by 40m (ish!) on flat land.

How much did your arenas cost?

How much work did you do yourself?

Any pointers etc?

Any piccies of your arenas would be great too!!

Thanks people!!! :) :)

Slightly Foxed

Visit site
My arena cost about £19k a year ago. Everything was done by the contractor, including removing an existing woodchip arena. My current arena is sand and fibre and it's fantastic.

We're on heavy clay so correct drainage is crucial. Drainage makes or breaks your arena, don't skimp on it!

Whereabouts are you? I can recommend a good contractor.

Tnavas

Visit site
Can't help with the cost but the most important part of any arena is the foundations

DRAINAGE - don't skimp on it and don't let contractor skimp on it.

Ensure the whole arena is above the surrounding area

Choice of surface is crucial too - Washed sand is the best type of sand, less dust - a mix of sharp (edges are angles) and smooth sand (little spheres) One allows the surface to pack the other keeps it open so that you get a sympathetic footing - can't get hard, can't slip out from under the horses feet.

Mari

Visit site
KLH Arenas put my 20 x 40 in 10 yrs ago for 12k I recently got them to give me a quote for extending it to 60m - another 12k !

Foxhunter49

Visit site
We put in an arena for around £15,000 three years ago. The land was level as it had previously been a tennis court (we extended it both ways to get 20m x 40m. As it was already fenced with post and rails around three sides outside of the tennis netting and we left the netting up one long side, that cut back on the expense.
French drains were put in, a trench about 2 feet wide and deep, back filled with stone, then stone put down with a membrane on top, sharp sand and rubber on top of that.
I had quotes from arena people and in the end got a local drainage company to do it. Luckily one of their men had worked for an arena builder for several years so he knew what was needed.

Fosterdown

Visit site
Hi,
we put an arena in 2 years ago, 20 x 40 with floodlights, cost around £11,000. We did most of the work ourselves, we got a digger with driver to help level the site but other than that we got a kit from McVeigh Parker and sourced the hardcore, large shingle and silica sand from a local supplier, it has worked really well and never floods.

rowy

Visit site
We just recently got a quote for around £18 000 with proper drainage (we are on clay) and 6 floodlights. The surface we are getting will probably bring it up to £20 000

StephL

Visit site
Thanks for all the info guys!! It has given me somewhere to start (and at least I know now if people are trying to rip us off!!!!)

applecatcher

New User
Visit site
We've just had delivered the 40m x 20m diy riding arena kit from mcveigh parker which costs just over 2k. All good, delivered by a crane lorry so we didn't have to worry about unloading. That's the easy bit over with, now we've got to put it in!

Zinedine04

Visit site
Hi. Just wondered how you got on with your McVeigh DIY kit. We are thinking of purchasing one for our own arena and wondered if you could advise any pros and cons?

They seem very reasonable on price compared to others but would welcome your knowledge.

Thank you for your time

kathantoinette

Visit site
EAST YORKSHIRE - my OH has a contracting company and builds arenas. There are a few you could look at if you are interested in getting him to do. We are in East Yorkshire. PM me for info if you are interested.