Building my own stable cost?

rallan15

Visit site
Me and some friends have some free land and we were thinking of building a stable block there. We have 5 horses between us so we would probably aim for either 5/6 stables. We have looked at stable blocks from multiple companies but they have all been really expensive. We would like to be able to build it ourselves to save money. Does anyone know how much this would cost? Also if you've ever build your own stable where did you get the materials from?

meesha

Visit site
If in the southwest look at mike Corcoran he is on nfed.very reasonable, you can collect and build yourself. Think my 12x24 field shelter was £750 and could be 2 stables, don't think you could do it much cheaper!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I doubt that a 5 stable block could be classed as mobile... Though 3 x twin stables could be. PP would definitely be needed for a big block of stables.

Stable manufacturers buy their materials in bulk, so you may not be able to save much if you DIY it. Several will supply you with the disassembled sections which you can put up yourselves, which would save money.

Sparemare

Visit site
We do have planning permission but we would probably just go for whichevers cheapest (as long as it's fine for our horses obviously)

Oh that's great, so as you've already got planning permission, what configuration of stables did you get planning permission for? I know when we got PP for ours we had to submit full drawings of what we were building, including materials we were using (roofing, walls etc). If you can give an idea of that I'm sure some suggestions can be made.

rallan15

Visit site
Oh that's great, so as you've already got planning permission, what configuration of stables did you get planning permission for? I know when we got PP for ours we had to submit full drawings of what we were building, including materials we were using (roofing, walls etc). If you can give an idea of that I'm sure some suggestions can be made.
We have permission for 5 wooden stables (in a row) with tin roofing and some sort of lining but we didn't have to include that when getting planning permission.

turnbuckle

Visit site
Hmmm...how good are you at DIY? Horses can give stables a literal kicking...solidity is key.

May be worth speaking to a local builder instead?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Your PP will detail exactly the dimensions of the stable block - overall length, depth and height. 5 12'x 10' pony stables with no overhang and low roofs would clearly be cheaper to construct than 5 14' x 12' boxes with high roofs and a deep overhang.

meleeka

Visit site
We built a pair of stables/shelters. It's not that hard if you have a compentant DIYer.

Mine were built very cheaply using shuttering ply with the same material kickboards. I'd probably line the roof too if you are using tin as it tends to have condensation.the frame is the bit that will give them strength so use as thick square wood as you can. I'd also have a concrete base if you have PP then you can set/bolt the stables into that. Another small thing, screws are better than nails I find.

DTV

Visit site
As a rough guide I built a double 12x12 with pitched roof for approx £1400.Concrete base was already in place however.Concrete is pricey,i'm a bit out of touch these days but budget around £1000 per stable. (could be a saving if you dug the footings and then got it poured later.)Best to ring round contractors for a quote.A concrete apron is a bonus to if you have mud. (who doesn't lol.)Timber all came from local sawmill/merchant and I negotiated a discount by ordering everything in one go.Good luck,it's a big job!

Notimetoride

Visit site

When I applied for PP I had to go into incredible detail including plans, elevations, details of all materials to be used, type of lighting, and had to provide exact details of muck removal and waste water.
Tbh you'll just need to stick with whatever you have specified in your application and has subsequently been approved by the council, being careful to comply with any conditions attached.

whiteflower

Visit site
When I applied for PP I had to go into incredible detail including plans, elevations, details of all materials to be used, type of lighting, and had to provide exact details of muck removal and waste water.
Tbh you'll just need to stick with whatever you have specified in your application and has subsequently been approved by the council, being careful to comply with any conditions attached.

This

You will need to stick with whatever has been ok'd on your planning permission so people giving you ideas for cheaper options won't necessarily fit with that.

As has been Said above, a big cost is a concrete base which will need digging out hard core laying and then concrete poured on.

The costs will depend on what you have chosen to submit on the plans, a flat roof is often cheaper to construct than and apexed one, smaller over hang will cost less and obviously smaller stables less