Building stables: where to start?

Joeyjojo

Visit site
I have a property with three stables, one is in an old brick building and two are in an old wooden block. All are a bit small and in need of repair and so I am hoping to demolish the wooden block and start again, adding in two more stables all at least 12x12. Trouble is I don't really know where to start. I know I'll need planning and drawings, but I was hoping there might be someone here with experience of doing this who could guide me through it a bit. Any recommendations for wood vs brick (is it down to cost or planning?) How do I find someone to do the work, do I just get stables from one of the big manufacturers and builders to do the groundworks or will I need a specalist equestrian construction company? I'm in the south east if anyone has any recommendations.

meleeka

Visit site
I just asked for recommendations of manufacturers and got quotes. They arrived and erected them in one day. Slightly difference as mine are on skids so no planning and no concrete needed. I would think it would be cheaper to get a groundwork company to do the base.

blitznbobs

Visit site
Speak to the companies that supply wooden or an architect for brick built . Brick built will be generally more expensive but imo look better and definitely last longer if well built . Brick tend to be cooler in the summer too but I don’t want to get into the argument of which are warmer in the winter cos it could go on for days!

Planning should be a formality if thee are already stables on site which you are demolishing - but it can take a while so get on with it quickly - they are supposed to give you an answer within 8 weeks but don’t hold your breath!

Planning permission can be applied for via the planning portal - just google your council there will be a link on their website ...

MagicMelon

Visit site
I got plans done by a draughtsman, didnt cost much as there wasnt much to the plans. Then I got my local joiner (who does stables etc.) to build them on top of a hardcore pad with just wood. They just sit right on top of the hardcore and it works perfectly well, they're very sturdy and have withstood serious winds we get living on top of a hill in NE Scotland. I have a block of 3 stables which are about 18ft x 17ft each so big stables, I didnt want pokey ones. 12x12 IMO is tiny, I wouldnt even stick a pony in one that size. I leave 2 of the stable doors wide open 24/7 directly into my field so my horses can use as they wish. The third stable I use as my tackroom (I put down rubber mats). The one thing I regret is where I put my water tap so think all these little things through, like where to put power points and lights etc.

tessah

Visit site
Planning is not a formality if you already have stables. It does set a precedent though.

I have just had a long battle due to anti people in the vicinity etc. I cant be more specific in public I am afraid. But happy for you to pm me.

I used a planning consultant as I knew before I started there was potential there. As the current stables were there I also needed plans drawn up for those and new plans.

I didn’t use a stable company to submit the plans as I knew there was potential. I just had to suck up the planning consultant.

Hopefully starting to build this spring.