Building stables

Wiejimmy

Visit site
Hi all,

I am in the process of aquiring planning permission for the conversion of existing field shelter to hay barn and a further stable block for 2- 3 horses. This is on 2.5 acres of agricultural land in yardley gobion south northants (2 seconds outside of milton keynes).

I will be hoping to sell after i have finished building. The plot has mains water. No electric as yet but i am working on it.

Value of equestrian land seems to vary massively, just wondering if anyone could give me a rough estimate of value for 2.5 acres with stables and hay barn that has full planning please. Just want to know if it is worth the investment.

Any info or advice is welcome and thank you in advance!

Cheers
James

Read more at http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?762284-Building-stables#c23RifgxXk1XxFzj.99

be positive

Visit site
The best people to give a valuation would be local agents who know the area and the market but I suspect you may be best to get the pp, possibly the electric if it is not too expensive and market it so whoever buys can finish the job to suit them, depending on where it is situated getting pp for an arena may be useful to give the buyer more options.
I am buying a property with 2 acres and am very pleased there is a barn and no stables, stables may have added value but the barn suits me and my horses far better.

Wiejimmy

Visit site
Hi be positive!

Thank you very much for that advice! It is sound advice and i will heed it. I have a permanent field shelter on the plot!

Thanks again!

James

Leg_end

Visit site
I’m in an expensive area and pony paddocks go for £25k an acre with no facilities so I’d guess you be looking at anything from £70-150k depending on what your local market is like.

One thing to note is that you will need change of use to sell as equestrian if it is currently classified as agricultural.

Wiejimmy

Visit site
Hi leg_end

Thank you very much! Thats is brilliant information, i think i will be looking to change the use to equestrian as it will be sold as that! Im hoping the addition of stables and a haybarn all with planning will help bolster the value. Planning and construction is very expensive :D

My fingers are crossed! I may even apply for planning permissiin to build a small arena as incentive for the potential buyer.

Im hoping to retain an acre for veg growing and a workshop for my tractors!

Thanks again
James

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
To get the higher values the paddocks have to be close to houses - hopefully, the ones the prospective purchasers live in.

Not in NW Surrey; even out of the way places up to 5 acres are commanding 50k plus an acre, possibly with stables and water on (adding yet another 50 - 100k on top, I kid you not!), highly unlikely to have power, and very much green belt - def no planning permitted for accom.

Wiejimmy

Visit site
Hi the fuzzy furry!

Thats insane! I think i will be lucky to get 60k with stables here by the sounds of it ����. Thank you for your reply!

Cheers
James

Leg_end

Visit site
I wouldn’t bother going for pp to do an arena. With 2.5 acres the grazing would be preferred and so I’d leave it up to the buyer if they want to do that.

Wiejimmy

Visit site
Hi leg_end,

That's a good shout! An arena would significantly reduce grazing area. I will just get stable and hay storage!

Cheers!
James

Spottyappy

Visit site
I think you would command a lot of interest as small pieces of land don’t come up.
Water is essential, imho. Electric not as you can use head torch or put solar in. I don’t have electric as the cost was prohibitive, and I have managed fine for 30 odd area with the solar and head torch.
Yardley Gobion is a lovely area, and I think you are well placed to attract buyers from Mk, as well as The local northants villages. I agree with Fuzzy on price, ( I’m Bucks), although where you are will probably not make quite those figures,with land in such short supply, it may.
I would also put in planing for the arena along side the stables. You don’t need to build it, but the plans are there, if a prospective buyer wants to put one in, With the awful winters we experience, it may be something some buyers would like to do. But, by gaining permission you’re opening the market to people who would like to install one, and then know it would be possible to. Equally, not putting off those who don’t.

be positive

Visit site
I think you would command a lot of interest as small pieces of land don’t come up.
Water is essential, imho. Electric not as you can use head torch or put solar in. I don’t have electric as the cost was prohibitive, and I have managed fine for 30 odd area with the solar and head torch.
Yardley Gobion is a lovely area, and I think you are well placed to attract buyers from Mk, as well as The local northants villages. I agree with Fuzzy on price, ( I’m Bucks), although where you are will probably not make quite those figures,with land in such short supply, it may.
I would also put in planing for the arena along side the stables. You don’t need to build it, but the plans are there, if a prospective buyer wants to put one in, With the awful winters we experience, it may be something some buyers would like to do. But, by gaining permission you’re opening the market to people who would like to install one, and then know it would be possible to. Equally, not putting off those who don’t.

That was my thinking regarding the pp for an arena, it gives options and if the hacking is not great will appeal to someone who wants to ride all year round, 21/2 acres is not much grazing so unlikely to be bought for retired horses or young stock far more likely to suit someone with 2 or 3 horses that are in work so having the option to build an arena as and when they want will probably put value on.

Wiejimmy

Visit site
Thank you spotty yappy!

That is brilliant advice, thank you for the breakdown! I was only ever considering getting planning for an arena as i just wouldnt be able to afford to build one.. You are correct i think obtaining planning for the arena would be great for a potential buyer. Gives them a bit of scope to develop/add value and also use the arena in general.

Thanks again, your post really helped me.

Cheers
James

Wiejimmy

Visit site
Thanks be positive,

I am severely lacking in horsey knowledge, i am learning and did a small amount of riding years ago. Really appreciate your input as it helps me understand.

Thanks again
James