Building top line in youngster

dilbert

Visit site
I know this has been discussed previously but I'm still not sure what's right for my boy so any advice would be great :)

Toms 4 and a half, a big chunk of a boy. I've had him for two months and he's a star. We've just been hacking out ( including two pleasure rides which we loved), we've attempted a lesson but tbh I'm not so keen on pushing this until next year when he's a bit older.

Anyway, we did have a bucking incident last Sunday when I hit the deck in canter but my sense is that he was bitten or spooked by something as he doesn't seem to do excitement when we hack alone.

I had him checked by a McTimoney lady yesterday who could find no evidence of any tightness, soreness, tenderness anywhere and was very impressed with him. She just commented that he needs to bulk up and build his top line. Obviously a lot of this will come with age.

What's the best way of doing this slowly and gently? He lives out 24/7 so his main diet is grass , hay and hedgerow! He also gets fast fibre with his minerals supplemented ( from forage analysis) and a handful of linseed.

Thanks for reading :)

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
I'll watch this with interest as I was told the same thing yesterday about 5 year old Shy - also told he needs to build up muscle.

McW

Visit site
You could do school work with him, what you don't want to do is to have him think there is only hacking to be done. As when you decide you want to go in the school he could be surprised!

Out hacking do you just plod or expect matching paces? I'd be asking him to push on with his walk really stride out. I'd be having a contact and starting to ask him to drop his nose. On a clear stretch I'd be doing walk for 4 trot for 4 just remember when you come to to walk to sit deep and don't pull as this will be good foundation for head carrage. Leg yield is a great one up a country lane from one side to the others.

Have you thought about schooling in the field if you'd like a bigger area than a school?

dilbert

Visit site
We don't have a field to school in at the moment which is a shame and our school is rubbish ( plus I'm lazy). I don't let him slouch along on hacks but I probably don't do enough....maybe lessons are a good idea ? He has a lovely striding trot and nice balanced canter but his walk is hard work at times.

Thanks for the suggestions :)

MrVelvet

Visit site
I feed out of a manger hung over the door - before he got poorly he had a very nice topline over his neck/withers. It also meant they were the correct muscles for his head carriage for riding :) as a general rule I don't like feeding to bulk up x

KentOsteo

Visit site
The only way you will build correct muscles/topline is through using them correctly! Think about it.... If you wanted to bulk up your biceps you would be down the gym pumping iron (!) not sat on the sofa eating....
Diet isn't that much of a factor, so long as he is getting enough energy for his workload - which from what you describe sounds ample perfect.
It is not going to be an overnight transformation. As he is still young and has a lit of growing to do, he will naturally bulk out as he develops. To help, I would introduce some basic work on long lines or in hand. This gets the horse used to working correctly without the weight of a rider. Really simple stuff like stepping sideways and backwards as a beginning of teaching shoulder in and leg yield. Ridden wise, trot is the best gait for building muscle, so short bursts making sure he is going forward and using his back end. Don't fall into the trap of "getting his head in". Only when he has developed the back end engine and can lift and carry his back will his head and neck naturally be carried in a correct outline.
Don't feed horses from door mangers it buggers up the TMJ joint and teeth. They were designed to eat from the floor hence the long neck! Have a look at http://www.sustainabledressage.net/rollkur/work_stretch.php
Which has some fabulous descriptions and pics of getting horses to work correctly! :)

LouS

Visit site
Long lining on a circle (lunging with two lines), start with 10 mins and build it up, never do more than 3 circles without changing pace/direction and don't do more than 20 mins at a time, its brilliant, I swear by it. Currently doing 20 mins 5 times a week with a horse I have for reschooling and even in just 3 weeks you can start to see a difference in her top line and way of going.