Building up confidence

bluebear

Visit site
Hi I was just looking for suggestions and input on how to build up my confidence to hack out on my mare alone.
I lost my confidence after a fall off another horse, and have been really scared to hack out alone incase something "happens". I know it's My own mindset that's getting in the way.
So how did you build up the courage and confidence to hack our totally alone. Thanks

SafeInSage

Visit site
I had a pretty severe confidence knock after a couple of falls (hadn’t fallen off in years, then had 3 in the space of a few months) and couldn’t canter for months.

I’d first suggest a body protector. It really helps for having a good mindset and reducing injuries if the worst were to happen. Racesafe are brilliant. Avoid Airowear at all costs.

I presume you’re currently hacking out in company? Depending on how your mare is, you could always try separating from the company if there are any routes which split and then meet back up. If you know she’ll dislike that, I’d just go one day at a time. Ask someone to walk with you first, then go out on your own for just 5 mins at a time, maybe head out on your own and have your company catch up with you down the road.

It takes time and it feels unreasonable and silly, but it’s completely understandable to lose confidence after a fall. I still can’t canter in open spaces and it makes me sad considering I would happily race off in a field a few years ago, but it’s just adapting the mindset and doing what you feel comfortable with.

bluebear

Visit site
I had a pretty severe confidence knock after a couple of falls (hadn’t fallen off in years, then had 3 in the space of a few months) and couldn’t canter for months.

I’d first suggest a body protector. It really helps for having a good mindset and reducing injuries if the worst were to happen. Racesafe are brilliant. Avoid Airowear at all costs.

I presume you’re currently hacking out in company? Depending on how your mare is, you could always try separating from the company if there are any routes which split and then meet back up. If you know she’ll dislike that, I’d just go one day at a time. Ask someone to walk with you first, then go out on your own for just 5 mins at a time, maybe head out on your own and have your company catch up with you down the road.

It takes time and it feels unreasonable and silly, but it’s completely understandable to lose confidence after a fall. I still can’t canter in open spaces and it makes me sad considering I would happily race off in a field a few years ago, but it’s just adapting the mindset and doing what you feel comfortable with.
Thank you yes we are currently hacking in company. These are all great ideas I hahadn't thought of. I'm at a similar stage I still have a fear of cantering in open spaces but I'm sure at some point it will come with time ?

SafeInSage

Visit site
Thank you yes we are currently hacking in company. These are all great ideas I hahadn't thought of. I'm at a similar stage I still have a fear of cantering in open spaces but I'm sure at some point it will come with time ?

No problem. Fingers crossed your confidence comes back quickly. I figure that, as long as I’m still enjoying riding in general, I don’t mind what I can and cannot do due to mental or physical barriers.

Bright side is your mare will hopefully instil some confidence in you since she’s not the horse you fell off!

exracehorse

Visit site
I listen to music. Makes a massive difference difference. I always think that worse case scenario.. I can get off and walk. Stick to a short loop. And ride like you’ve stolen her. Positive. Forward. I’ve even left the yard and immediately trotted for a while if my mare is feeling fresh.

bluebear

Visit site
No problem. Fingers crossed your confidence comes back quickly. I figure that, as long as I’m still enjoying riding in general, I don’t mind what I can and cannot do due to mental or physical barriers.

Bright side is your mare will hopefully instil some confidence in you since she’s not the horse you fell off!
Yes that's very true she is a slight challenge to ride due to being out of work so long. Bought her back into it slowly. But she is the sweetest and really wants to please

bluebear

Visit site
I listen to music. Makes a massive difference difference. I always think that worse case scenario.. I can get off and walk. Stick to a short loop. And ride like you’ve stolen her. Positive. Forward. I’ve even left the yard and immediately trotted for a while if my mare is feeling fresh.
Thanks the music is a good idea, I think it's mindset that is the hardest part to get over but that's great advice thank you

Patterdale

Visit site
The best advice I ever had was that if you really want to do something, but you’re too scared, then you need to conquer the fear.
If you try to conquer the fear, but you can’t - then you just have to do it scared.

Simplistic maybe, but it’s true. I often ‘do it scared’ but at least I’m doing it! And it’s the Doing It that gives you the confidence in the end anyway.

SafeInSage

Visit site
Yes that's very true she is a slight challenge to ride due to being out of work so long. Bought her back into it slowly. But she is the sweetest and really wants to please

Maybe you could get a sharer or someone to help out riding? Just a thought - I’ve shared/ridden youngsters before for owners who had injuries or confidence issues and them seeing me ride them made them realise that they would be safe getting on and doing the same things I did (ie long solo hacks).

Peglo

Visit site
A few of my friends were nervous hacking on their own so we would meet up close by and drop each other off after the hack. Eventually making nervous friends go further by themselves. It built up their confidence and made them feel really good as well when they realised they could do it.

Coblette

Visit site
With my TB I started out with someone on foot, then used to do short circular walks in hand, I then gradually started getting on to ride on a bench/gate half way round and gradually made the hacks longer before starting off from the yard where napping was most likely.

With my current mare, (she was a napper with previous owner) I got her when I was 6 months pregnant so took her out for walks in hand for months before baby then by the time I was able to ride again we had build up a lot of trust. Now all we do is hack alone and she’s brill.

I think having trust in your horse helps overcome your fears. Also agree with the above that wearing a body protector helps make you feel safer