Building up muscle

Irishsportgirl

Visit site
Hi guys! So I've recently posted on here asking for advice on my horse that gets upset when mounted. After multiple different opinions, saddle fitter, vet checks, behaviorist etc, the overall conclusion is that he is just a very nervous horse that needs some love, time and building up.
He is a 14yo ISH come over from Ireland nearly a month ago now and the progress/bond we have made is amazing. He has been out of work for approx 3/4 months and he has little/no muscle.. We have been walking out in hand and lunging which he enjoys, but specifically what are the best exercises and things that people have found work best to build up muscle mainly around his back/shoulders/bum area. I will be doing this from the ground till we can build more of a bond and he is happy for me to ride him.
Thanks in advance

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
How is he to long rein? Mine came over from Ireland very weak and under muscled and I spent a whole summer walking and trotting her up and down hills out hacking (but ridden). Barely went in the school except for a weekly lesson to work on suppleness and balance. Once they're a bit more muscled then leg yielding up hills is a fab butt workout.

Throw poles on the ground at random and just walk over them, stepping over them will engage his core then you can build up to having 3 or more in a row to build rhythm and balance. Can you work with a physio for a more personalised routine? I'd also get regular physio sessions booked in - mine had them every 3-4 months when I was building up her muscle as her body changed dramatically.

Irishsportgirl

Visit site
How is he to long rein? Mine came over from Ireland very weak and under muscled and I spent a whole summer walking and trotting her up and down hills out hacking (but ridden). Barely went in the school except for a weekly lesson to work on suppleness and balance. Once they're a bit more muscled then leg yielding up hills is a fab butt workout.

Throw poles on the ground at random and just walk over them, stepping over them will engage his core then you can build up to having 3 or more in a row to build rhythm and balance. Can you work with a physio for a more personalised routine? I'd also get regular physio sessions booked in - mine had them every 3-4 months when I was building up her muscle as her body changed dramatically.

thank you for your response - very helpful. I am in touch with a vet recommended physio but only issue is theyre so busy with covid changing things etc.. So wanted to start him off because I know ground work will not only help his muscle etc but also help us build out bond further

P.forpony

Visit site
Try backing up in hand, it's much much harder work than you think.

Make sure he is soft and relaxed with poll no higher than withers, no pulling or pushing, and ask for 2 or three steps.
Build it up gradually over weeks, when he can comfortably do 3-4 repetitions of 6-10 steps in a nice rhythm, try a couple of steps at a time up a slight incline to increase the difficulty.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
It's an open offer :)

@P.forpony yep, great exercise. Walking VERY slowly down a slope is also very useful, the horse has to use its hind end for braking, and if done slowly, they really build that mechanism. The key to all these things is relaxation and building straightness, only once a horse is straight can it move correctly. If we "break up" its old movement patterns by asking it to move completely differently, we can reset much healthier, straighter, patterns.

P.forpony

Visit site
Thanks @sbloom you reminded me I forgot to say use a fence!
If you try and back them up down the centre like you will end up with something squirrely and ineffective.
Use a fence/wall etc to help keep them straight until they are strong enough to try it unsupported. Also keep an eye on which direction they tend to drift to, when unfit my mares near side quarters drift in because she's stronger in her shoulders on the off side.