Bulldog Hitch Lock - key broken, Bulldog won't send a replacement!

m1stify

Visit site
Hi, my Bulldog Hitch Lock key snapped, and I have lost the spare! However, not to panic! Bulldog, have a key replacement service on their website. All good, have the key number and all. But, when I key in my Irish address - there isn an issue, said to contact them. I did and they tell me they can't send out a key due to issues with brexit and customs.
so has anyone broken into their own bulldog hitch lock? it seems the only option. How do I do it?

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Hi, my Bulldog Hitch Lock key snapped, and I have lost the spare! However, not to panic! Bulldog, have a key replacement service on their website. All good, have the key number and all. But, when I key in my Irish address - there isn an issue, said to contact them. I did and they tell me they can't send out a key due to issues with brexit and customs.
so has anyone broken into their own bulldog hitch lock? it seems the only option. How do I do it?

Don't know which end of Ireland you are in, but you have someone in another country that you would trust to forward on?

m1stify

Visit site
There must be someone in the UK willing to take delivery of a key and forward it?
I don't mind doing it. I mean I'm hardly going to turn up in Ireland with my new key and steal your trailer (I don't think I would ... )

would you! honestly this thread was about how to break the lock, not asking for an address but if you would help I would be most grateful.

m1stify

Visit site
to be honest, I can't believe they are making such a big deal out of it. I get stuff from the UK all the time. They are blaming customs, but the retailer should know how to label a package to get it through customs by now, maybe just after Brexit I can forgive. I haven't had any customs issues at all from the UK, if I have to pay them I get a text, pay and the item is delivered.

LegOn

Visit site
to be honest, I can't believe they are making such a big deal out of it. I get stuff from the UK all the time. They are blaming customs, but the retailer should know how to label a package to get it through customs by now, maybe just after Brexit I can forgive. I haven't had any customs issues at all from the UK, if I have to pay them I get a text, pay and the item is delivered.

Another Ireland resident here! I know its incredibly frustrating but sometimes depending on the business, they have to register themselves as an exporter with the EU, especially if they are a manufacturer which Bulldog might be, but it can cause them a logistical nightmare to even post something to the EU! Its absolutely bonkers, I do agree - but there is more red tape that most of us over this side of pond realise and also those in the UK realised, so they might be better avoiding it completely!

Would be great if you can get someone to post it on - otherwise I think some of the trailer dealers might have a few tricks for removing them but I think it involves a jaws of life or some time spent with a consaw!!! So it would destroy the lock and run the risk of ruining your box - they arent easy to get off!

MissTyc

Visit site
would you! honestly this thread was about how to break the lock, not asking for an address but if you would help I would be most grateful.

I know but it just seems so ridiculous, like someone else says, to put you in a position of having to break a perfectly good and not cheap lock.

m1stify

Visit site
Another Ireland resident here! I know its incredibly frustrating but sometimes depending on the business, they have to register themselves as an exporter with the EU, especially if they are a manufacturer which Bulldog might be, but it can cause them a logistical nightmare to even post something to the EU! Its absolutely bonkers, I do agree - but there is more red tape that most of us over this side of pond realise and also those in the UK realised, so they might be better avoiding it completely!

Would be great if you can get someone to post it on - otherwise I think some of the trailer dealers might have a few tricks for removing them but I think it involves a jaws of life or some time spent with a consaw!!! So it would destroy the lock and run the risk of ruining your box - they arent easy to get off!

thats probably true alright.
tbh the lock is 10 years old, a bit rusty underneath might be easy enough to break. It is on my list to replace anyway it owes me nothing, will have a look in the yard later. I just noticed today the key was broken on my bunch of keys. Good job I spotted it before trying to load on the morning of a show!

m1stify

Visit site
Ru in southern Ireland? I will be near Kilkenny in 11 days time if that helps, I could bring it over...
thanks everyone, really decent of you all to offer.

this might work @nagblagger - how are you getting to Kilkenny, I live outside Dublin near the dublin- kilkenny road (N7/M7/M9) - could meet you along the way.

nagblagger

Visit site
Hi,
Unfortunately I'm coming by ferry to Rosslare, if you want me to bring it over worse case senario i could post it on when i'm in ireland.
PM me if you want to go ahead and i'll send you my english address..

m1stify

Visit site
I just don't understand why Bulldog are flat out refusing to send it, I mean if they tried, and it didn't get through customs well then fine. But they won't even try. Being very condescending via email telling me to use my spare key. i had already explained to them its not an option. I'm not looking for it for free, I will pay for key and whatever courier they need to use to get it through customs.

m1stify

Visit site
for all the people who offered, I have orded the key and they will let me know when its ready 10-14 days, may be contacting you then to post for me. thanks again

nagblagger

Visit site
Just let me know if i can help, back in Ireland in Sept, after this May holiday - could always meet up and then post on the other thread 'have you met any HHOs' :D:D:D:D