Bum Shuffling!

GinaB

Visit site
The Beast has developed the most awful habit of shuffling her bum along the carpet. She is not due to be wormed and shows no signs of having worms and her glands were emptied by the vet last month and he said there wasn't a whole lot in them anyway. Anyone any other ideas what is wrong with her?! Driving me crazy!

sojeph

Visit site
It could be as simple as she got an itchy bum!!
grin.gif

filly190

Visit site
Awful problem, especially when you have guests! On a serious note, a friend had a simialr problem with her king charles. Dont think you mentioned the breed, but I have noticed this more in smaller dogs.

When you start having the glands emptied it seems to make the problem worse and they develop this habit. I personally wonder if by having the glands done, it causes an irritation or something. They fill up quicker and quicker and before you know it, you are always at the vets having it done.

I would look at a natural alternative and leave the glands to look after themselves.

Good luck, only suggestions but I think "if its not broke, dont fix it".

Evadiva1514

Visit site
It sounds like her glands, i wouldn't worry too much about it as someone above said, they do do it from time to time, and you just have to leave them to get on with it!!

Vyda

New User
Visit site
Try giving her some raw meaty bones, this will make her stools firm and chalky which means she will have to strain slightly to pass them, this helps empty the anal glands, if fed regular they shouldn't have that problem again.
Sorry if that got a bit graphic,,lol

star

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
See I thought as they were only done about a month ago it wouldn't be that. Oh goodness eurgh it's so horrid to get it done!

[/ QUOTE ]

you wanna try being the one doing it! my heart sinks when my computer says someone's bringing in a dog for anal glands. if they get really bad we have to knock them out and flush them under GA. i hate doing bum things and anal glands have a habit of squirting all over the place, even in your face! and the smell stinks out my consulting room for ages too! eugh!

star

Visit site
dunno but they reak of smelly fish. they're a kind of scent gland - they squeeze out every time the dog poos and scent the poo and i think they all smell a bit different hence why dogs go round sniffing such lovelies!

Weezy

Visit site
OMG I feel really dumb - I have owned dogs the whole of my life and I have NEVER heard of taking a dog to have its anal glands emptied - in fact I know nothing of them full stop!

K9Wendy

Visit site
To squeeze the glands yourself requires a lead stomach. But here goes, stand the dog in the bath, you will understand why when you smell it. Have some shampoo on standby and the water hose running (if you have one, or a jug of water if not).

Tail held very firmly and virtically with left hand, exposing anus. With your thumb and forefinger of your right hand push hard against either side of anus at roughly 9 & 3 o'clock, then in an upwardly squeezing motion expell the juice at 10 & 2 o'clock. It is foul smelling, sometimes thick goo sometimes watery. Aim the dogs bottom away from your face and IMMEDIATELY wash the area with shampoo & rinse.. Don't be sick as it is foul... One squeeze should do the job, and when you are better practised at it you will feel the full glands, about the size of peas at 10 & 2 o'clock. If in doubt ask your dog groomer to show you how to do it..

Snowberry

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
OMG I feel really dumb - I have owned dogs the whole of my life and I have NEVER heard of taking a dog to have its anal glands emptied - in fact I know nothing of them full stop!

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never done it either
shocked.gif
and I've had dogs for years!! None of mine have ever had a habit of scratching their butts along the floor either!! lol

GinaB

Visit site
She is a small dog (Mini schanuazer in my siggie) But lives on a hard food diet (it's a low protein and iron one that the vet said she needs) I don't fancy doing the glands myself. I do have a strong stomach but I feel like she'd hate me forever!

K9Wendy

Visit site
Just read that she is a bitch, so maybe not her glands, Schnauzers are one of the breeds that seem to get a lot of hair growing round her 'girlie' bits, sometimes hair is stained brown, goes a bit greasey and basically irratates the life out of them, hence they do the bum shuffle!

Under close inspection, if this is what you find, bath her bottom in a mild shampoo and dematt the hair using your fingers, she may be very tender. Some Schnauzer bitches come in between appointment to have this hair clipped again as it does seem to irrate them. Also happens to some other breeds not just Schnauzers, but for some reason it's more common with them!

GinaB

Visit site
Funny you should say that as she had a bath yesterday and all her..*ahem* bits all were given a good wash and I haven't noticed her doing it. Yet! And she is due to be clipped. She is so furry she can't see out her eyebrows!

bellgave

Visit site
It is the most vomit worth smell in th eworld, its like 1000 dog poos all in one go!! My friend is a dog groomer and showed me how to do it. God it really is the worst job in the world!!!

star

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
It is the most vomit worth smell in th eworld, its like 1000 dog poos all in one go!! My friend is a dog groomer and showed me how to do it. God it really is the worst job in the world!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

that's why i charge plenty for it - it's revolting! my job is certainly not glamorous!

star

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
That's why you'd never want to squirt it in your face, always point bum away from you LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

amazing where it can end up though. i have so far avoided getting it in the face, but my colleague did last week - eugh - i think i might vomit if that happens to me. i cant deal with dog s**t or anything related - makes me wanna hurl!