Bumble Bees and horses

lelly

Visit site
Hi, I have just seen a bumble bee go down a hole in the ground, in my field shelter. Does anyone know if they can be a threat to my ponies who use the shelter a lot. I am worried if one of them gets stung if it will cause a bad reaction. I also don't want to get a lot of bees in there and the ponies not going in because of them. Anyone got any ideas. They are definitely bumble bees (the big fat ones) not wasps.

Angua2

Visit site
my horse is liveried on a honey farm for want of a better description, and we pass the hives most days with no issue. I know the YO does bee removal for want of a better phrase. I can find out the details for you if you wish

Lintel

Visit site
Bailey was stung in the mouth last year by one... in all fairness he did nearly eat it, the bee did not get out the way :p
He didn't have much of a reaction, a little redness and a dot in the side of his mouth for a couple of weeks and he has a tiny black dot there now, but that is it. ;)
I wouldn't be worried ;)

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
We have them nesting in the stables, I love to see them, and they are very good at finding their way around the horses and humans. They buzz around my horse, wondering why there is suddenly something in the way, and he takes no notice at all.

Montyforever

Visit site
A few years ago there was a beehive under the floor in my feed room, which my stable was next door to, no problem to the horses but I am terrified of bees/wasps and being stuck in a narrow room with them buzzing past every two minutes was horrible!!!

jennywren07

Visit site
they sound like mining bees, they very rarely sting so i wouldn't worry. I have some in my stable block.

Randomly they are solitary bees even though you often get loads nesting in the same place they dont form a swarm

cambrica

Visit site
Yes I think bumbles are protected and are facing difficult times so they need all the help we can give. Usually docile and harmless and I think a joy to have around.
I went on a beekeeping course and apparently honey bees (the type you keep in hives) really don't like horses and I was advised quite strongly not to keep them close to the stables and have the hive entrance / flight path directed away from the field. Im still to get a hive but fascinated by bees in general.

Venevidivici

Visit site
There was an article in H&H magazine a little while back about horses being stung. Though rare,it can be fatal,as was described in some of the cases. The badly stung horses tend to go into shock and this can cause
fatalities too. I'm no expert and am sure yours pose no/little risk but just thought I'd point out,as I remember reading it.

indie999

Visit site
Oh I wouldnt worry they dont build big nests and they are harmless and bees dont go looking for trouble(unlike wasps). I have them in my mobile shelter and your field will be full of them at the moment, they like mice holes too and embankments to nest. If it was a wasp nest I would say get it destroyed but not a bee nest. As posted any thing if stung could have an anaphylactic(shock) reaction but your horse if its out in the field too will be amongst bees all the time.

Dont worry about it. Just ignore, they really wont be bothering you. I have planted loads of bee loving weeds etc around the edge of my field and comfrey right up to the shelter to encourage them.