Bumps all over face then hair came off in patches!

MANDM

Visit site
My horse came in with a bumpy like rash all over his face and within 3 days the hair had fallen out or rubbed off and some bald places looked scabby. It is all over face and behind ears
I have been putting on Aloe Vera since the hair fell out .
He looks a right mess Bless him.
I assumed it was buttercups as the field he is in has long grass
all my others are OK but they do not go into that field.
He is being Xrayed tomorow re a damaged stifle so I will clarify with the Vet. Poor boy seems to always be in the wars.

Lynne21

Visit site
Have you had a lot of rain? Sounds like rain scald to me compounded perhaps by the long grass being wet? Just a thought.

samp

Visit site
It may be urticaira, are the wounds oozing or dry? If oozing I would say urticaria and ask vet for steroids. If dry possible ring worm

airedale

Visit site
biting flies - bloodsuckers

got them here this year and when they land on you - look like normal flies - but they bite and suck blood
have a problem with my terriers ears - they are now sprayed with fly spray as well as the horses - as the flies are bloodsucking from the top of their ear flaps if I don't and leaving scabs

and yep - the hair falls out as well

initially as the dogs play 'rough' I thought it was just them play fighting but it's not

try some imaverol wash - that should sort it out

dozzie

Visit site
My chestnut mare gets this quite regularly- about three times in a summer whaen shes in the Big Field!!. It is usually on her face or under her chin!Usually just before a show.LOL.

I use immaverol (vet agreed)and it seems to stop any spread but I think it is an allergic reaction to insect bites of some kind. We have no idea what it is!!! TBH Im just used to it now!

equibabe20

Visit site
I've actually just has the vet out for this, mine has got the same thing but not on his face. His is all up his chest, it started really bumpy then all the hair has fallen off. I've been told to wash it twice daily with malaseb (sp?). His belly button thing has also swollen and got nasty scabs on which is from the same flies. He's on anti-biotics for 7 days now and I have a cream to put on. Vet said not to worry too much about it just make sure I apply fly gel around that area. X

dozzie

Visit site
Thats really interesting! At the mo we have a bald shoulder and tummy and a swollen tummy button and hock! All looking like flies!!! I am concerned about hock TBH( dont like swelling roung the joints even if due to flies if you know what I mean)and will speak to vet tomorrow but can actually see the bite mark so pretty sure this is what it is but would be interested in the cream you have.

The prob I have is mare is so sensitive to anything I have to treat most things with salt water and white powder!
grin.gif

Otherwise alopaecia (SP?) takes over!!!!!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Mandm- None of my others suffer at all! I have 4 but did have 5 ( 3 bays, one cream dun and a chestnut) and only the chestnut has ever had this despite being in the same field. Apparently they can be very thin skinned/sensitive.

Panther

Visit site
eliminate ticks too.. real probelm this yr no decent frosts etc.. start off as lumps like bits... there are latching blooding sucking parasites they swell with blood after two/three days... they irritate and horse will rub them like lice...

Panther

Visit site
eliminate ticks too.. real probelm this yr no decent frosts etc.. start off as lumps like bites... there are latching blooding sucking parasites they swell with blood after two/three days... they irritate and horse will rub them like lice...

MANDM

Visit site
A vet has since said they have had a lot of horses in with these types of allergies and are putting it down to a. being sensitive anyway and b. something in the grass/hedgerow which sets them off.Anyway good old Aloe Vera has worked its wonders again.
As for his stifle I have posted seperately that he has since been diagnosed as having OCD(Osteochondrital Dissecans) in both stifles so things are pretty bad.Now have a total of 4 horses (2 geriatrics, one a nervous wreck and now this chap who doesnt have any good legs as he already has ringbone in his front legs)

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
That sounds just like my skewbald mare, she gets it on her forehead, between her front legs, her belly button and anywhere that her hair is chestnut and very fine - her white bits are much coarser hair and dont seem to get affected. Its due to fly bites. I use a full mask on her face and fly spray on her body, I found camrosa to be good for the sore patches (if a little messy). Last hear she was much worse and had to wear a boett - this year she has not been too bad so fingers crossed!!!!!