Bumps all over skin... Allergic reaction?

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Over the past few weeks I've noticed several of the horses at the yard coming up in bumps on their skin, mainly on the sides and belly. Antifaz had it but continued absolutely fine in himself and now PF has it on her sides and neck. It screams to me of an allergic reaction, but feed is exactly the same it's always been UNLESS it could be something in the oats/alfalfa. Last lot of oats seemed to be a bit green, could this be it? Latest batch of alfalfa is much better quality than the last. Could this have an effect?
Apart from it being unsightly, the bumps cause PF no distress at all and she's her usual chipper self. Vet is coming out for jabs next week, but any suggestions?

Fairynuff

Visit site
It might be the better quality alfalfa=more protein! Tom does that if he gets a whiff of flaked maize but I presume its his personal allergy.Is PFs pee smelling any stronger? If it does, it points towards too much protein which is being eliminated in her pee. M.
smile.gif

Fairynuff

Visit site
I dont know if the bumps will settle but the pongy pee will continue for as long as shes got excess protein. Protein cant be stored in the body and any excess is broken down by the liver into ammonia. As ammonia is toxic it is turned into urea which will (if theres lots) will make the pee pong and your eyes water
grin.gif
Can you reduce the new alf and mix it with some of the old or some straw? Have the other horses bumps disappeared? Lecture over
smile.gif
M.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Lecture away
smile.gif

Other horses had bumps a week or more ago and have cleared up. I think A's bumps lasted a week or so but have now gone. PF's have just popped up. Not got any of the bad alfalfa left, or any hay or straw. I'll get the boys to cut back then!!

Andelusional

Visit site
Urticaria is usually due to an allergy. We see it when the weather is warm and tiny biting flies get into the coats and cause it or when a horse has been exposed to feed he is not able to deal with.. thus why many people refer to it as 'barley rash' as barley is a prime cause. Falling or rolling in nettles also. My guess would be flies but could be a feed change...never had it from alfa tho....

Andelusional

Visit site
Weeds? Are they able to get weeds in the grazing or forage? Sorry, hadnt looked to see where you are... course it isnt summer there!

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
LOL! Well, it is a bit unexpected to find someone who lives in Argentina on HHO
smile.gif

Possibly weeds in alfalfa; there's very little grazing here (not much rain!) but our new stuff is very good. Much better than last lot which had all sorts in it!

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
Its more likely to be that they are eating something in the hedgrows that comes through this time of year, my horse has D-Tox from NAF on a permanent basis as I don't know what he's eating and when (when turned out) and he has COPD and its good for that, can't remember the last time I've had to have ventapulmin from the vet which I used to have to have from time to time. He has had a few bouts from something in the haylage I was feeding at one time, he had to have an injection that time. sorry gone a bit off topic
grin.gif

Fairynuff

Visit site
Shes got a delicate liver like all true blues !
grin.gif
If your really worried have a blood test done covering her liver and kidneys but I bet you a fiver they disappear on their own. Mairi now has her fingers xsd
tongue.gif