Bundeschampionate 2011

Halfstep

Visit site
I was lucky (thanks to the hospitality of an extremely kind friend! :) ) to be able to spend three days at the Bundeschampionate in Warendorf, which was a fantastic and educational experience.

Notes:
1. Horses are ridden *much* more forwards and with far more impulsion than in the UK, from babies right up to the 6 yr olds. Those horses are MOVING, there is no riding with the handbrake half on as you come down the centre line.

2. Uvex helmets and short, tight jackets are very, very "in". Probably 80% of riders wearing helmets were wearing Uvex. The bling Uvex looks amazing in the sun. Browbands must be droopy and blingy, but dead sheep is definitely out. ;)

3. German judges do not pull punches and are critical where it matters, regardless of who is riding. A German team rider was criticised for his riding in public (after each test in the final the marks are read out aloud and comments given).

4. Horses are extremely well behaved (in general) and even a load of 3 yr old stallions warming up together showed minimal antics. prize givings are mounted with lots of clapping, music and noise, and the horses just get on with it.

5. Audiences are very knowledgable (audible sigh from the crowd when a horse slightly missteps in a walk pirouette), and not precious or silent. People walk around, talk on the phone, take jackets off, etc. I saw a few spooks (Benicio, the truly wonderful winner of the 6 yr old final, spooked massively just before the bell rang, but went on to do a foot perfect test).

6. The last placed horses in most groups would probably be winners in the UK. The standard is quite beyond belief. And the quality of the riding is astonishing. I've never seen so many perfect seats in one place! Of course there were a few who weren't quite so polished, but in the main, nearly every single competitor had a classical seat and exceptional hands. :)

7. I really want a horse by Damon Hill. ;) ;) :)

Some photos:
Uta Graf on Damon Jerome H:
318383_10150288489981693_659466692_8034404_697755_n.jpg

Uta Graf doing a demonstration on Le Noir, she rode the Grand Prix movements in a bitless bridle with no spurs, impressive:
313390_10150289599181693_659466692_8046318_4846323_n.jpg

Dorethee Schneider schooling her 5 yr old:
313834_10150287613286693_659466692_8027184_978916_n.jpg

Christian Flamm in the 5 yr old small final:
313007_10150287612301693_659466692_8027175_6987448_n.jpg

5 yr old Sans Souci schooling:
320102_10150287612896693_659466692_8027182_5881368_n.jpg

one of the 5 yr old show jumpers:
304360_10150288498176693_659466692_8034531_6823052_n.jpg

4 yr old dressage horses (they go in groups of 3)
314722_10150288499711693_659466692_8034548_6304290_n.jpg

Apologies that the photos aren't great, they are off my phone!

(photos are off my phone, I'm not a photographer, but it gives an impression of the whole thing!)

Worried1

Visit site
I noticed a distinct lack of fluff on FB! Right I'm off to dust off the bling and show this to Mr Worried and will henceforth Team Worried will be blinging!
Glad you had an amazing time x

GreyCoast

Visit site
Wow, what lovely pictures! You must have had such an awesome time.

This is something I think about quite a bit, and I'm sorry for getting sidetracked, but is that horse cantering? Or is it an inhand gallop movement? Does an extended canter have 3 or 4 beats? I can't help notice that all the fancy stallion canter pictures that get printed in the magazines here, like that top picture, show a clear four beats. I know nothing about dressage, so I always wonder how correct it is. Or is it like parallel legs in trot? Nice to have, but not quite possible in these extravagant horses.

Halfstep

Visit site
The extended canter has a clear 3 beat rhythm, followed by a moment of suspension. This photo shows the first phase of the canter stride, with the outside hind leg initiating the stride. The next phase will be the grounding of the parallel pair or inside hind and outside fore. This horse is so uphill in his movement that he has what is known as positive diagonal advanced placement (DAP), which means that his inside hind foot will ground slightly before his outside front foot. There is a big technical argument about this, but to the naked eye (without freeze frame photography to show the diagonal displacement) the canter is three beat. The diagonal pairs are displaced in favour of the hind leg due to the extreme uphill push off the outside hind leg. This is exacerbated in an extended trot due to the propulsion and reach. Hope this makes some sense.

JustMe22

Visit site
Wow, must have been a great experience :) Very jealous!

Benicio is lovely isn't he?? I saw him at Callaho stud when he was 3 and looooved him straight away.

I'm quite annoyed that they exported him out of South Africa. One of our truly good stallions (I competed against him once or twice before he left) and of course, ship him out :p

Hoping that one day I can buy one of his babies from Callaho. I see there's a few, but it won't be another couple of years before they're sold (suits me fine!)

Halfstep

Visit site
Benicio is special! Anna Sophie (his rider) said he was the best horse she's ever had. I can well see why! He has the most amazing walk. When he came in, I thought they had cloned Belissimo, he is the spitting image of his dad.

Halfstep

Visit site
Wow, really interesting! His hind leg is SO much better now.

Anna Sophie is honestly one of the best young horse riders in the world. He couldn't be in better hands. :D

JustMe22

Visit site
I don't doubt that he's in better hands in Germany than we could ever find here :) I also think that to be fair, he is the calibre of horse that needs a bigger stage than SA can offer him.

Just a bit of a shame really for the SA horse industry more than anything else! He really is gorgeous though. Such lovely paces.

Cupid

Visit site
Sounds like an experience of a life time, getting to watch so many WOW horses and riders in one place must be so inspirational :)

Matafleur

Visit site
The extended canter has a clear 3 beat rhythm, followed by a moment of suspension. This photo shows the first phase of the canter stride, with the outside hind leg initiating the stride. The next phase will be the grounding of the parallel pair or inside hind and outside fore. This horse is so uphill in his movement that he has what is known as positive diagonal advanced placement (DAP), which means that his inside hind foot will ground slightly before his outside front foot. There is a big technical argument about this, but to the naked eye (without freeze frame photography to show the diagonal displacement) the canter is three beat. The diagonal pairs are displaced in favour of the hind leg due to the extreme uphill push off the outside hind leg. This is exacerbated in an extended trot due to the propulsion and reach. Hope this makes some sense.

Thanks for this explanation Halfstep - I think this is fascinating. So is the DAP considered a good thing, as it presumably indicates excellent push from the hind leg, or a bad thing, as it technically renders the canter 4 time? As horses become more uphill will this tendency to 4 time be penalised or will it be a moot point as no judge will be able to see it without freeze frame?

Time will tell I suppose but very interesting. I love the chestnut schooling, he looks fab! :)