Burghley - hotel recommendations

Rana

Visit site
Having talked my OH into going to Burghley this year
grin.gif
, he's suggested making a weekend of it and staying overnight.

So, any recommendations for hotels/B+B's in the general area??

Also, would we be better off staying on the Friday night, so we can get there early for X-C on Saturday (it's a 21/2 hr drive from home), or should we stay on the Saturday night because we'll be knackered from walking the course and have spent 4 hours trying to get out of the car park lol.

dobbin27

Visit site
You could try the George Hotel? Have never been, but its in Stamford, I work quite near by and we use it for our customers when they come to visit

Trubie

Visit site
The George is nice, but a bit pricey so I have heard. Lots of nice hotels in Stamford or two Travel Lodges just north on the A1 at Colsterworth or another at Peterborough services if your looking for the cheaper option. We live close just about enough to walk there this year!
smile.gif

Rana

Visit site
I've found a few online but they're all either mega expensive (well over £100 a night) or fully booked already!!!

Looking like a Travelodge
grin.gif
And even those are round the £75 a night mark! *Gulp*

Thanks for the suggestions
laugh.gif

Rana

Visit site
Looks lovely but full
frown.gif
(at least on activehotels.com)

Found a Holiday Inn Express at a reasonable rate though, and not too far away - a bit nicer than a Travelodge without breaking the bank balance.

Still don't know whether to stay the night before or the night after though
crazy.gif

DW Team

Visit site
What a nice OH. If he has still got any rooms you could try The Black Horse at Grimsthorpe 01778 591093 Richard is very nice. You will find that a lot of places fill quickly. There are also some rooms sometimes at The Coachman at Corby Glen 01476 550316 not been since changed managers. If I can look anything up PM me we live in that sort of area. Can always go check it out.

Rana

Visit site
Thanks erinite, that's very kind of you
smile.gif
Lots of places are already full - in fact, I found one advertising "only 2 rooms left for Burghley 2010"
shocked.gif

Will try The Black Horse and The Coachman
smile.gif

legaldancer

Visit site
The George or We like The Collyweston Slater at Collyweston funnily enough! Don't know rates, but its small, traditional yet contemporary inside & serves fantastic meals! I'd stay the Saturday as I wouldn't want the long drive back after all that shopping - oh, & walking the course too!

If you get up early, the anticipation of a great day out will make the journey up there shorter.

Rana

Visit site
I think you're right, I'd rather stay on the Saturday night. But trying to persuade OH to get up early enough could be problematic
wink.gif

Will check out The Collyweston Slater
smile.gif

Slinkyunicorn

www.rutlandhorseextras.co.uk
No chance of getting a room in the George - it is booked year on year.

PM if you still need somewhere as I am local and can help - most places are booked one year to the next - even in the villages.

I am away with work - but will be home at the weekend to get you names and numbers.