Burghley shopping thoughts

Fjord

Visit site
I've spent the day wandering around Burghley and, as is traditional for us on Thursday, concentrated on the shopping. There was plenty to buy if you've got money, but seemed to be less of the more affordable things this year, unless it's just me? I can normally find some clothes to buy but really didn't want to pay some of the prices. I did see a nice hunting painting but at just short of half a million quid it was slightly out of my price range! 😂

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
They have it on display at a horse show at just under half a million..... bold.

Houghton Country online has great deals on a lot of nice clothing at the moment if you're looking for something specific cough cough. ;)

I have only been to Hickstead Derby and RIHS this year, and there weren't as many deals to be had as previous years, and obviosuly a much lower level of event, but I do think the days of reasonable are long gone and in the distant past.

hollyandivy123

Visit site
I've spent the day wandering around Burghley and, as is traditional for us on Thursday, concentrated on the shopping. There was plenty to buy if you've got money, but seemed to be less of the more affordable things this year, unless it's just me? I can normally find some clothes to buy but really didn't want to pay some of the prices. I did see a nice hunting painting but at just short of half a million quid it was slightly out of my price range! 😂
Can you pm the painting I'm there on Sat....

Bobthecob15

Visit site
It's been like that for years there, Badminton isn't much better. Unfortunately the shopping is no longer the bargain hunting that it once was...its all luxury goods, high end items, very limited shopping for those that don't want to spend a lot. Its also a case of 'be seen'...Holland and Cooper stand is a prime example 🙄

vetsbestfriend

Visit site
A number of my favourite stalls no longer are there, agree a lot of high end and bespoke retailers which for a simple horse girl like me are a case of have a look and dream as unable to justify spending that amount of money even though things are nice. Times have moved on with the internet and I will openly admit that most of my things I buy on line now a days. Still love to have a wander round though, but only bought the dog a new toy today, nothing for myself :)

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
It's been like that for years there, Badminton isn't much better. Unfortunately the shopping is no longer the bargain hunting that it once was...its all luxury goods, high end items, very limited shopping for those that don't want to spend a lot. Its also a case of 'be seen'...Holland and Cooper stand is a prime example 🙄

Agree, I haven't been to horse events for a few years as I've completely given up anything to do with them but I'd say the tide was beginning to change even pre COVID, did Hickstead a couple of times and there was a handful of the more reasonably priced stands but the rest were very high end luxury, premium saddles, super posh clothing, tonnes of bling etc

When I first got my horse about 12 years ago we did Hickstead and I got tonnes of bargains, including a heavyweight weatherbeeta turnout for about 30 quid! Probably because it was a previous season but I didn't care. I definitely don't recall things like that the last few years I went, which was pre COVID

Bobthecob15

Visit site
A number of my favourite stalls no longer are there, agree a lot of high end and bespoke retailers which for a simple horse girl like me are a case of have a look and dream as unable to justify spending that amount of money even though things are nice. Times have moved on with the internet and I will openly admit that most of my things I buy on line now a days. Still love to have a wander round though, but only bought the dog a new toy today, nothing for myself :)
I imagine it costs a lot for a stand too, so prices the less luxury items out of the running...shame really. I remember buying some really cheap hunter wellies 20yrs ago and some barbour boots...those days are long gone!

Caski

Visit site
Such a pity - used be my target event for a new jacket and breeches at half price!!!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Burghley shopping is no longer even pricey but desirable stuff, it's mostly throughly overpriced naff stuff that only muppets with too much money would aspire to buy and be seen in. And there's plenty of those to be seen with bulging shopping bags in the shopping village.

I don't go for the shopping, I go for the competition itself.

TGM

Visit site
I suspect this is a result of a conscious decision by Burghley themselves to allocate tradestands to more 'high end' brands. I definitely know of at least one 'affordable' equestrian brand that keeps getting turned down for a 'proper' stand at Burghley (as opposed to being in a Pavilion), despite being granted a stand at lots of other major competitions such as Badminton, HOYS and London International.

Griffin

Visit site
I agree that the days of bargains seem to be over. I remember going to Royal Windsor with my mum just after buying my mare and kitting her out from the trade stands with rugs, numnahs, grooming kit, lotions and potions very reasonably (we had to make several trips back to the car).

I haven't been back to Burghley since Covid but I noticed from looking at the list that a lot of the traders I would have gone to are not there this year.

Grassy

Visit site
It costs thousands to have a stand at big events like Burghley & Hickstead, it can be quite expensive at smaller events as well, everything has gone up massively, I don’t do any event offers, it’s literally not worth my while & nothing more irritating than people whining about how expensive things are, like studs & plaiting bands. Either buy it or don’t, but no the studs do not cost £1 each …. The bigger events encourage the bigger brands, & they are more likely to afford the pitch fee as selling higher value items. If the pitch fee was less I think you would see more offers, but take out vehicle running costs, fuel, wages, food, card machine charges as well as the cost of the stock & you need to be getting a decent amount of sales to make any profit.

Fjord

Visit site
I know it costs an arm and a leg to have a stand there, so I do think many are just priced out. Looking at the ticket prices (£50 tomorrow) I think they also want to keep a certain clientele.

I did get a bargain though, I found a lovely little horse statue for half price at £30. The Ariat boots were not a bargain but I couldn't resist...

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I think the introduction of online shopping killed out 'show specials' a long time ago.

I've never done Burghley but do Badminton, Windsor, Hickstead and Blenheim on a fairly regular basis plus a few others a bit less regularly (Olympia, Gatcombe and somewhere else whose name escapes me right now .... ) I wouldn't say I've ever struggled to buy anything but I don't go expecting to find something specific either.

I quite like the broader range of stands as have been with relatively unhorsey boyfriend or semi horsey friends and I feel less like I'm dragging them around horsey store after horsey store 🤣

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I always quite liked the household type shops (although I’d never afford them). Agas etc. Same for the stables. Three times the price of my stables, I’d never even consider them. I like the shepherds huts and summer houses, posh horseboxes. I much prefer wandering around the high end stuff that I could never afford than the over crowded tack shops. I barely buy anything nowadays. I guess when I used to shop it was in the days I was Eventing myself.

I always tell my neighbours that they should go to Burghley, they’d love it, despite not being horsey. They’re the types that have new range rovers every couple of years, refurbish their experience kitchen every six years or so, have their garden designed. They’d shop their hearts out.

Last edited:

Bobthecob15

Visit site
I always quite liked the household type shops (although I’d never afford them). Agas etc. Same for the stables. Three times the price of my stables, I’d never even consider them. I like the shepherds huts and summer houses, posh horseboxes. I much prefer wandering around the high end stuff that I could never afford than the over crowded tack shops. I barely buy anything nowadays. I guess when I used to shop it was in the days I was Eventing myself.

I always tell my neighbours that they should go to Burghley, they’d love it, despite not being horsey. They’re the types that have new range rovers every couple of years, refurbish their experience kitchen every six years or so, have their garden designed. They’d shop their hearts out.
Haha they would absolutely love it!! Burghley is I think better for non-horsey people than Badminton etc...my husband isn't horsey at all and quote likes Burghley

hollyandivy123

Visit site
She'll be the one wearing a very large over sized coat...

😆
bloody weather paid to that plan............... it would have looked to obvious :)

but there was notably less stands than previous years...........i think that you will see less people going on Sat with the increase ticket and the reduced shops, you will still get the hard core and the london set, but i think numbers will decline in the treat day once a year. the loss of the smaller trade stands is going to have an impact, but i understand why for them they can not justify going

MummyEms

Visit site
Totally agree!!
Also thought it was so cringey how many people were in matching Holland and Cooper boots....I used to think they were nice but now I wouldn't be seen dead in them to be matchy matchy with about 780 other people. ha ha

Reactions: TPO

Bernster

Visit site
I was really disappointed with the shopping. More like a county fair with hardly any tack shop type places. Did one circuit and gave up. But I did see some people with lots of posh shopping bags fromfairfax and favour etc. It felt more like a shopping mall!

honetpot

Visit site
I realised yesterday I have been going thirty eight years, and a bit more, my eldest daughter who is thirty eight has her birthday Burghley weekend and the only year I missed was when I delivered her, and the couple of years when I was ill.

This year I think was the biggest change in one go. They have lost a whole row of shops at the bottom end of the stands, they lost some after covid, but the have changed the layout to fill in the gap. The craft halls, I have bought hand thrown pottery, is now full of bought in stuff, I think the only thing that is originil is perhaps the art sales.
The main shop stands are all selling stuff with large mark ups, and the smaller ones have to sell mainly cheap imported stuff, even if has the country living look to fit the lifestyle brief, with a large mark up. Less diverse.
The stand that sold imported Italian leather bags last year at resonable prices, wasn't there.
The food outlets look more diverse, but I noticed the staff looked like agency on some, so it may be still one large contracter with extras to fill and they have changed the main contractor.

Changing the branding, and the ticketing, just about hidden the loos, and I know where they all are. No litter anywhere, it was more like Wimbledon I think they are preping for the 2026 bid. There were still setting up Wednesday, so I wonder if they have cut a set up day.
I am a people watcher, first three days usually older hardcore, the odd lifestyle unsuitabley shod dressed set appear Friday, never go XC day, Sunday this year was lots out for a nice day and finnish the shopping, the weather helps.
I spent about £250 in the shops, but on one stand they were taking double that in one sale, on non essential repro art.
I can remember the dug out loos, the huge BHS tent in the main area, the mud, driving rain and sitting in the members freezing, .

Last edited:

alexomahony

Visit site
Totally agree!!
Also thought it was so cringey how many people were in matching Holland and Cooper boots....I used to think they were nice but now I wouldn't be seen dead in them to be matchy matchy with about 780 other people. ha ha

I went on Saturday and thought exactly the same... the number of tight white jeans, H&C boots and a tweed poncho we saw!

On the flip side, I also saw lots of stunning midi dresses that I thought looked lovely with some short yard boots :D

alexomahony

Visit site
I was really disappointed with the shopping. More like a county fair with hardly any tack shop type places. Did one circuit and gave up. But I did see some people with lots of posh shopping bags fromfairfax and favour etc. It felt more like a shopping mall!
Yeah I think we found two 'tack' shops... I bought some fly spray because I needed it anyway!