Burying a horse

eekmon

Visit site
My YO has kindly said I can bury my horse in his field when the time comes ( been there so bloody long I could of bought the place
blush.gif
)
I know I need a license from local trading standards and I know why I need the license, my question is has anyone applied for one and how easy is it to get one. Have rang them once and the woman had no idea what I was going on about, said they would ring me back but never did! Anyone out there recently got one?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Have you contacted Defra? Or rather has the land owner - as it is they who will have to apply for the license not you....

eekmon

Visit site
Yes, have emailed them thats how I know I had to contact trading standards. This is sort of what I wanted to know, whether I can apply on behalf of him, given his address ect. Don't think he would want to do it himself hes quite old and can be a bit of an old goat
wink.gif

eekmon

Visit site
Got through to trading standards and they deff don't do the license
mad.gif
** bangs head on wall ** She is going to try Hants County Council. Awaiting a call............We'll see
crazy.gif

Charlie77

Visit site
Thank you, that's really interesting my old girl is now 33, & I know she wont live forever, but this has given me an idea.

YorkshireLass

Visit site
You can bury a horse on your own land, if the horse is a pet. The problem is that it must be your OWN land. Land owners can not have other peoples horses buried on their land. You can understand this, people would open horse cemeteries for a quick buck and the countryside would be stuffed with rotting carcases.

The horse must also be a pet, ie, kept not for riding, driving or breeding... just petting.

The carcas must not be burried anywhere that it might polute a water course. That means that 90% of land is unsuitable!

You definately get the liscence from the local authority. Usualy Trading Standards, however this may vary between authorities. Prehaps they simply don't know that they do the liscences!

We burried a pony at home last year. Quite frankly, with all the hassle we would have been better off calling the knacker.

Happytohack

Visit site
Have you thought long and hard about what might happen in the long term if you buried your beloved horse on your YO's land. In an ideal world, your horse will be buried somewhere where he/she was happy, loved and cared for. Sadly, people sell up and move. When we bought our home, we found a grave of someone's much loved shetland pony. Sadly, when we had our fields re-fenced, the workmen inadvertently dug up the grave and then we didn't know what to do with the remaining bones which had obviously been buried many years before. Personally, I would hate to buy one of my much loved horses and then think that some time in the future, the bones would be discovered/scavanged etc. I have had 4 horses PTS and in every case the meatman has taken the bodies for incineration.

eekmon

Visit site
Yes have thought about it ( alot lately ) I have owned him 26 years and had him at that yard the whole time
shocked.gif
It has been owned by the same man all that time and before me, he owns loads of land/caravan sites and three other yards. I see your point and if I thought the yard will be sold for houses ect I would not bother. The field in question is on 'green belt' land and can't have houses built on it. I suppose if /when he dies the yard could change hands but knowing him he will keep all his yards and let his 'estste mamagers ' run them which is what he sort of does now.

MagicMelon

Visit site
TBH I know of people who have buried horses on their own land with no license. In fact, I didnt know you even needed one! Personally, I would bury my horses on my own land and I wouldnt get a license to do it. Obviously, I understand the issues with burying a horse whos been put to sleep by injection (due to the possible run off into water supplies etc. however the only water supply around us is our own!).

I would plan to put up a fence round it and probably plant some trees on the area, so hopefully to avoid the bones being dug up years later etc.

Chunkie

Visit site
Have you considered having your horse cremated and burying the ashes?

Mine was 34 when he was PTS and I buried the box in his field (it is one that can't be built on). It's probably a lot easier to do and you don't need a licence.

Errrr....... I hope you don't anyway!

Gorgeous George

Visit site
I think I would go for cremation too and bury / scatter the ashes and perhaps plant a tree - just a thought. Lets hope yours carry on for a few years yet, I saw a picture in one of Kelly Mark's books of Badger who is 51! If George lived to 51 I would be 81!!!

eekmon

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Have you considered having your horse cremated and burying the ashes?

[/ QUOTE ] Yes have thought about that, if it comes to that I will
frown.gif
I would like to bury him in his field though, I think if anyone has had one horse as long as I had they would understand
confused.gif
Hes not just my horse but/and has been for 26 years a part of my life

squirtlysmum

Visit site
I feel for you so much its such a sad time and inevitable with our lovely friends.
I lost my mare who I met at 2 days old and loved for 21 years and was like a child to me, a friend offered a burial in her field where she used to live (neddy that is, not friend!!)when the time came. However we fell out and I left her yard, a couple of months later I had to make the decision as Mabs became terribly ill so the deed was done and she was individually cremated. I thought I'd bury her in my garden with a rose on top which was red, her colour, and called the Dark Lady. However Mabel now lives in my spare room and get chatted to and the occasional polish and the rose is in my garden in memorial to her. I can't bring myself to bury her! But you must do whats right in your heart and not what anyone else says you should do, big hugs!