Burying horses at home

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Am in the situation of looking at my two oldies and knowing that I'll have to make decisions this winter....... :(

Decision won't be imminent, but am needing to think about the what's and the if's and the wherefore's well ahead of time.

Has anyone buried their horses at home?

What permissions do I need (DEFRA??); and how long did this take to organise??

Vet coming later today: gonna vaccinate/teeth-check my youngster - and have a look-see and chat about the two oldies. When the weather changes and/or the field gets wet again, will be the trigger. One's 20, the other 22, both found last winter very hard and it aged them considerably. Methinks that as they're a pair-bond, to "do the deed" on the same day........... problem then is that little-un won't have anyone to be her companion, so that will have to be sorted somehow. Keeping eye out for another horse as lightly-ridden companion (OMFG horse-hunting once more, can't believe it's coming round again, my nerves won't stand it!), and/or looking at what a local rescue has in their yard .....

Hate being in this situation, but it HAS to be thought about. No good burying head in sand.

Last edited:

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
It's a sad situation to be in, we lost our 2 oldies last winter, so I understand how you feel.

Neighbour buried their first pony at home and said "never again". The hole had to be enormous for a not so big pony, by the time it had been dug, rigor mortis had set in and it was very difficult to get the pony out of the stable and into the hole.
Would you consider burying the ashes instead?

Last edited:

Antw23uk

Visit site
My neighbour buried her little pony at home and as far as i know she didnt need to tell anyone or get permission but i think thats because she was like 11hh. Bigger might require a more formal approach?

Good decision, well done for being ahead of the game (hope that doesnt sound patronising) Horse hunting i cant help with, unless you want a slightly unhinged 15.3 bay TB mare that likes living out and is a nice forward going hack, pops a jump, bit green in the school .. then I know of a horse looking for a home, lol!

Oh my friend had two done at the same time, similar to you, both bonded both old so when the oldest and poorest one started to go downhill they both went on the same day (although not buried at home)

mustardsmum

Visit site
First, so sorry about your situation - faced the same this summer and the decision was made three weeks ago so know exactly how you feel. Horses can be buried on your own land, check with your local authority as they may be a minimum distance to water courses etc, but horses are classed as pets not livestock so fall under different rules to farmstock. Guidelines are on the DEFRA webiste https://www.gov.uk/guidance/fallen-stock We buried our oldest horse next to her old field mate. There is something comforting about being able to bury them in a place they were fond of, or, as with our horse, with their pair bond. Although loosing them is deeply upsetting, being able to go to where they are buried will help. I would just add, let your other pony see them both - we have a very, very stressy mare who was very attached to our oldie, and I was dreading her reaction. Letting her and my gelding see her when she had gone, was the best thing we could have done - there was no drama, they grazed around her for 20 mins and then wandered off. I know that if we had not done this, my mare would have been stressed for days, possibly longer.

Antw23uk

Visit site
First, so sorry about your situation - faced the same this summer and the decision was made three weeks ago so know exactly how you feel. Horses can be buried on your own land, check with your local authority as they may be a minimum distance to water courses etc, but horses are classed as pets not livestock so fall under different rules to farmstock. Guidelines are on the DEFRA webiste https://www.gov.uk/guidance/fallen-stock We buried our oldest horse next to her old field mate. There is something comforting about being able to bury them in a place they were fond of, or, as with our horse, with their pair bond. Although loosing them is deeply upsetting, being able to go to where they are buried will help. I would just add, let your other pony see them both - we have a very, very stressy mare who was very attached to our oldie, and I was dreading her reaction. Letting her and my gelding see her when she had gone, was the best thing we could have done - there was no drama, they grazed around her for 20 mins and then wandered off. I know that if we had not done this, my mare would have been stressed for days, possibly longer.

This is absolutely sound advise and we should strive to do it with all our pets because it does make a difference.

Fools Motto

Visit site
I've buried one. Arranged with the local contractors to get the hole dug. (it does have to be pretty big). It's not allowed to be near a water source nor a public right of way i believe.
The deed was done next to the hole, so placing the old chap in wasn't too hard. He went in the right way bless. We've moved since, but I know he had a lovely view!
I've since used other services for disposal, as don't have own land now. I can still go to the rented field we had where fond memories remain, even if I know she's not there.

mustardsmum

Visit site
It's a sad situation to be in, we lost our 2 oldies last winter, so I understand how you feel.

Neighbour buried their first pony at home and said "never again". The hole had to be enormous for a not so big pony, by the time it had been dug, rigor mortis had set in and it was very difficult to get the pony out of the stable and into the hole.
Would you consider burying the ashes instead?

Good point Pearlsasinger. We dug the hole prior to our girl going, that is really hard and best to let your digger driver or farmer know where you want it, how deep and then leave them to it. Don't stand and watch - it can be quite upsetting. Just to let you know, it took two hours to dig a hole for a 15hh horse so obviously in that time, RM will have set in. Once your ponies have gone, and you have let the other pony see them, again leave it to whoever who is burying your horse, again that's something you don't need to watch. My dad oversaw that stage, and it upset him. When we brought our other two over, we had the hole fenced of with electric but if I am honest they never went close enough to come to any harm. They seem to have an intuition and were very calm and quiet.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
hhhmmmmm, some food for thought here, thanks peeps for your honesty and sharing difficult experiences.

Hadn't really thought a great deal about the actual "mechanics" involved.... when I had my old boy PTS the vet arranged for the Cremation people to come and pick him up and take him off; I was advised NOT to stay and watch any of that, same with the Hunt if they PTS, owners are generally shoo'd away and not encouraged to hang around for the loading up process, which is wise.

Yes, if the two ARE done together (or even just the one) I'd always let the rest of the herd see them, that's important I believe.

Plenty to think about here, so thanks everyone.

Michen

Visit site
Basil is buried on the livery yard. The knackerman was aggressive when I rang to have him picked up from vet but not disposed of, however found someone else easily enough. There is info online that details what is ok/not ok (water source etc) but it was absolutely fine.

soloequestrian

Visit site
I've done this, I think the rules are the same in Scotland. I contacted the council and they were very helpful. I knew we could borrow our neighbour's digger so I had my girl put down near where I wanted her to be buried and we dug the hole afterwards. This meant I didn't have to look at the hole - I sat with her for a bit, then went away and my husband took over digging the hole and getting her into it. I didn't want the memory of that part - she just looked like she was lying down in her normal field when I left her and that was a little bit of comfort.

Britestar

Visit site
Defenately have them PTS where you want them buried.

RM does wear off again, mine have often been buried the next day (left them covered with rugs, tucked in around them), due to neighbour not being able to get there.

Last one, the rest of the 'herd' were stood about watching (circumstances), and all stood a respectful distance whilst the deed was done, except the one who adored him, and she stood with her nose on my shoulder the whole time. After he was away, the rest grazed around him until I had sorted out another field for them to go in to. No-one seemed to worry about him going, I think because of this.

Reacher

Visit site
I’ve done this twice, both times a friendly farmer with a jcb did it for me. The horses were
PTS before arrival of the jcb. Both had to be moved to the hole, I was nearby but avoided watching this part.
I can’t check your OP - If it’s being done in winter consider if the ground would be too soft etc though I guess a jcb wouldn’t get stuck

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
OP, all I can add is to ensure there is a mound on top - and whoever back fills it does not leave ground level after.

My (then) elderly neighbour had her old boy buried in his favourite place in her fields. She passed away the following year and land was sold. New owners put a new fence up to divide the field and you'll now guess where the gate went.... 2 years later there was quite a big dip in the field and they had to get a tipped load in to make up and over the dip.

I bury most home pets at the yard, but not the fuzzies.

blitznbobs

Visit site
I’ve seen it done not pretty... all mine have been cremated and then I’ve buries the ashes... my horse of a lifetime, a chestnut, is buried under a horse chestnut tree that I can see now out of my kitchen window — it is also in my wedding photos... all the other horses have joined him over the years as have several friends horses... it’s a nice spot which gives shelter my living horses now.

kathantoinette

Visit site
I’ve buried two at home, the latest one only last week. OH has diggers so not a problem digging the hole. It’s not illegal to bury horses.
For the most recent one OH dug the hole the night before and we put him to sleep near the hole, he then lifted him in. I didn’t watch the lifting in or covering bit.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

Clodagh

Visit site
We have a row of 6 buried at home, before the law changed to getting permission (or I got less sentimental).
Bizarrely, the thing I worried about the most was them being upside down, I havo no idea how Poppy, the last one, went in the hole and I still worry that she might have landed back first. I like to think of them lying down like they would to doze.
We had our own digger so it was easy, but yes it needs to be a very big hole and very deep, you don't want badgers investigating.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
We have 5 buried at home, done by local farmers. Would repeat the advice of leaving a mound on top, we have sunken bits in the field now. Succesfully have planted one treeon them, the deer and horses ate th3 resr! Also be with them and say your goodbyes and then leave before they move them. Watched my first aged 14 and wish I hadn't as it's my lasting memory of that pony, especially if you dont get to plan it and getting them to the hole is tricky. Farmers are used to it, I was not!!

daffy44

Visit site
I've got three horses buried at home, my boyfriend at the time worked for DEFRA so I knew it was legal, and not near a water source etc, but as others have said all that information is on their website.

My old boy (aged 30) went down one morning and couldnt get up, so I had the vet come and do his very close pair bond (aged 28) at the same time, I hated having to put the healthy younger one down too, but I knew it was the best thing for both horses, it was very peaceful, I stayed with them, had a chance to say goodbye and then I got in my car and drove. I have a lovely friendly farmer who lives a mile away and he came and dug the hole and buried them, fortunately they lived in a big barn so he had easy access to them with his machinery. I would really recommend that you dont watch them being taken away, I've had to watch once at work when a horse in my care was pts and its hideous. I always stay with my animals when they are pts, but once its done, the moving of horses is truely horrible to watch. So I drove away, and the farmer texted me once it was all done, then I could come home and visit the grave safely.

I think its great that your being so organised about it, its so hard, but its the last, great kindness we can do for our animals.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I bury mine at home, always have done and always will. Have never gained permission because as far as Im aware they are treated as pets so as long as they're not near a water source then its ok. I stay with them as its "done", cover them with rugs and let their field friends be with them for a while then I disappear (I just cant be around during it) and a nearby farmer comes and digs the hole and buries the horse. The last horse I sadly had buried was 17.1hh so the hole was pretty big but its doable. Even if the PTS is planned ahead, I still wouldnt have the hole dug until later so I dont have to look at it, it would stress the horse out having a digger doing things anyway when I like them to have a nice, quiet "normal" morning getting lots of treats. I would never send my horses away. The only slightly weird thing I have to have done is I get my OH (who deals with the farmer) to lie that horses rug on top of him/her before they start filling in the hole, not sure why, I just hate the thought of earth being right on top of them. God, I could cry now just thinking about having to do it again and I will as I certainly have at least one horse who will never leave me.

Last edited:

millikins

Visit site
Another who will have to make the decision soon for our first pony. I have thought of having her buried but we are on thick chalk, would a digger go through that?

Nicnac

Visit site
The only slightly weird thing I have to have done is I get my OH (who deals with the farmer) to lie that horses rug on top of him/her before they start filling in the hole, not sure why, I just hate the thought of earth being right on top of them. God, I could cry now just thinking about having to do it again and I will as I certainly have at least one horse who will never leave me.

I bury horses covered by their rugs and dogs with collar and blanket. Just make sure you keep a mound on top so you're not left with a dip in the land.

madmav

Visit site
Know someone who buried at home for terminally ill horse. They had hole dug day before. Vet did the deed next day by the grave so was easy to manoeuvre.
Sad times but a nice way to keep them with you in memory. Hope it goes ok for all that are facing this.

Seville

Visit site
All my animals are buried at home, we have a small paddock used only for that. Currently three much beloved and missed horses, three Labradors, and the best ratter cat in the world. And no one knows. We have a farm, so big working machinery goes unnoticed. Each animal has either a tree or a shrub, and a small Plaque. My horses stay with me for life, so I won't send bodies away.
Just check your water table.

Annie B.

Visit site
I'm sorry you are having to make these plans, it is so damn hard. I have pts two both were cremated and then buried both were big I can't begin to think how big the holes would have to be. Just to put another thought forward I purchased more land a short time ago, I have known this field all my life and knew the farmer had buried his daughters tiny first pony in there this had to be made clear on the solicitors paperwork that an animal was buried on the land. This dragged the sale on for months whilst the solicitors on both sides argued about how to move forward with the sale. Just be prepared if ever you move or sell up it could really slow the sale down. We were hoping to be done 5/6 weeks and it took nearly 7 months for field with no services.

Polos Mum

Visit site
Just an alternative opinion - but I would bet that most of us have signed a donor card - because the body (or part of it) does not represent the person / animal that it belonged to.

You have your memories, lovely photos, maybe some shoes and tail hair - these are things you can take with you wherever you go. Most important of which are your memories which are the most precious.
Don't judge yourself too harshly if keeping the body close to you isn't palatable or practical

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I bury horses covered by their rugs and dogs with collar and blanket. Just make sure you keep a mound on top so you're not left with a dip in the land.

I'm exactly the same. They have to be wrapped up in their favourite blanket with their favourite toy (my last dog had her skateboard with her!). I've never had a dog or cat cremated, I couldn't bear sending them away. I feel the same way about the horses, I hope we could bury them at home. Our land is quite wet though, so if they were to die in winter I may have to have them cremated- we'd end up with a swimming pool if we dug a hole!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Just an alternative opinion - but I would bet that most of us have signed a donor card - because the body (or part of it) does not represent the person / animal that it belonged to.

You have your memories, lovely photos, maybe some shoes and tail hair - these are things you can take with you wherever you go. Most important of which are your memories which are the most precious.
Don't judge yourself too harshly if keeping the body close to you isn't palatable or practical

I have to say that I agree, having seen how our dogs behaved when one of their number was pts at home, there was certainly nothing left of the essential dog, except the outer shell. We have only ever buried small pets at home, if they died at home, I have never asked for ashes back when they have been cremated, in fact I have never asked for individual cremation. I have the photos and the memories and we have started planting trees bushes in memory of much missed horses. Unfortunately none of it brings them back.