"But she looks fine!"

Jinx94

Visit site
If this is your reaction when someone says that they may have to PTS their horse, please, PLEASE keep it to yourself.

This phrase is the source of a lot of pain for me at the moment.

For anyone that hasn't seen my other threads, I have an unbroken 4yo mare diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia. For those that don't know, this is severe nerve pain to the face that causes headshaking.

In her case, it's constant at rest, and varies on the lunge, likely due to the fact that she's had most of the year off and it's exciting. Veterinary recommendation is that she is PTS if we don't find a way to manage it.

Painkillers don't touch it, I'm not going down the PENS route (very expensive, very low success rates) and I am fairly sure that PTS will be the outcome. My vets are normally very peppy and optimistic, but they're all sounding as defeated as I feel. She will be turned away for some time just in case it is seasonal or related to where we are. Maybe we'll be lucky and she'll be one of the 5% that recover spontaneously.

Before that, we're trying her on steroids despite being confident that it isn't allergies and I am also having a cranio-sacral therapist out despite my skepticism. I am trying and failing repeatedly. I have looked at supplements and will continue to do so. If I find something that seems to do the trick, we'll try it, but equally I've maxed out the insurance and spent a good chunk of money already. It sounds awful and I feel awful about it, but I need to be practical going forward. Especially as I have another horse, a new mortgage to pay and only myself to rely on.

There are very few people that choose PTS on a whim. I go backwards and forwards over it all day, every day. The thought of not having her in my life is heartbreaking but the thought of keeping her alive and in constant pain is worse.

She might look "fine" to anyone else. From my perspective, from knowing her, the tension in her face, the near permanent ticks in her facial muscles, the snorting and shaking and twitching and stomping.. that's not right.

This mare used to be so relaxed that her bottom lip never stopped hanging as far from her face as it could. She was a busy body - always bumbling around, finding any reason to squeal and buck and leap around. If a person was there, she'd be all over them. Looking for fuss, resting her head against them. If it were possible, she'd have put her headcollar on herself.

Now she'd rather steer clear. More often than not, I see her standing still. Definitely not relaxed, definitely not alert to what is going on around her.

The whole situation is completely and utterly soul destroying.

So no, she is not fine. And people saying otherwise does nothing other than making an already heartbreaking situation almost unbearable.

HorseMaid

Visit site
I hear you. I won't go into the details but I had one PTS that others said was fine, and that I should have kept trying. It was awful and I left the yard after that as I couldn't bear the judgement, but I will always stand by my decision. I agonised over it for weeks, backed up by professionals. I spent an entire week crying in bed afterwards.

Take care and don't be hard on yourself x

Tronk

Visit site
I think that’s always the thing- unless they’re lying on the floor writhing in agony with colic or have broken their leg, they always ‘look fine’ when you pts, that’s why it’s so damned hard! The easiest thing in the world would be to pretend that they are in fact fine. But the brave and right thing to do for them is the very hardest. I have a picture of my two minutes before the vet arrived to pts, they both ‘looked fine’. Stay strong, you will know in your heart of hearts you’re doing the right thing after trying every other option for your lovely horse.

nutjob

Visit site
Your horse is beautiful and I know all too well how devastating it is to PTS a youngster. Sometimes there is nothing you can do. The clips you posted of her show that she is not OK even at rest so it's not fair to leave her too long like this even if unridden.

There just aren't good treatments for this condition so don't let others guilt trip you into thinking if only you spent more money or gave it more time there will be a resolution, sometimes there isn't. I hope the steroids do give her some relief and if they don't that you have the courage to do the right thing for your horse irrespective of what anyone else thinks or says.

windand rain

Visit site
So hard and people don't see what they cannot, My friend had hers PTS the vet said most horses would be on the floor with their feet in the air her feet were so bad. She had been showjumping a few weeks earlier but had been intermittently lame in both fronts for some time hence the investigation he was horrified and advised immediate PTS from the x rays

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Humans with this describe it as agonising and relentless. Other people have no business passing judgment on the hardest, kindest, bravest decision any owner can make. Our last act of love for our horses. I had to have a pony put down at 6 years old. It was horrendous. She looked ‘fine’ too. I had hurtful, speculative, ignorant comments too. So sorry you are going through this. Hugs. Xx

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I had one with it. Blink rate 80, non stop, face with fans of pain on both cheeks. People on this forum who themselves had trigeminal neuralgia begged me to put him out of his misery. It's not called the suicide disease in humans for nothing.

I am so sorry you are dealing with this as well, stay strong and do what is right for your poor horse. And if that's PTS, then take some time to be kind to yourself for doing the right thing.

Cob Life

Visit site
I have trigeminal neuralgi, it is the worst pain I’ve ever felt, far worse than any of my torn ligaments or broken bones. When it’s bad I have to knock myself out with sleep meds. I can 100% sympathise with your mare and if you can’t find a treatment PTS is your best option

There has been some success with anticonvulsant use in people but I don’t know if it has been researched in horses at all

Ali27

Visit site
How absolutely awful! I totally feel for you and I’m sure you will know what the right decision is? I’ve had to make the decision to put two horses/ ponies to sleep and I’ve just had that feeling that the time is right! Not easy and maybe others would have left it longer! One had a second awful tendon injury (was already retired happily for 4 years) and other had liver failure. Luckily both in their 20s but neither suffered for too long. Thinking of you and hoping for a miraculous recovery ?

Peglo

Visit site
Your video of your mare was the first time I’ve seen proper head shaking. It was much more difficult to watch than I imagined. It is very distressing (can’t imagine what your going through)
I’m so sorry people think that that is ok and “she’s fine.” And very sorry your going through this. So heartbreaking.

Winters100

Visit site
This attitude, where the animal has to be rolling around in pain or hopping on 3 legs before it is considered to be in pain, is one of the reasons that some poor animals suffer so terribly, not just horses but other animals too. Your horse is very lucky to have you as an owner and I have no doubt that you are doing the right thing by her.

Dru

Visit site
I feel for you. I'm on the road to PTS due to recurrent ulcers that I just can't keep treating as they come straight back. My horse is currently in pain and getting more agressive yet I'm trying another supplement in a probably fruitless attempt to get her comfortable enough to retire. I cry every time I leave the yard as I feel so cruel keeping her alive in pain yet even crueller for even considering PTS. I've mentioned to a couple of people on my yard that PTS is being considered and they've been supportive but to be honest, the fear of judging is partly what's making me delay it. That and the hope that she'll magically cure herself.

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
If this is your reaction when someone says that they may have to PTS their horse, please, PLEASE keep it to yourself.

This phrase is the source of a lot of pain for me at the moment.

For anyone that hasn't seen my other threads, I have an unbroken 4yo mare diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia. For those that don't know, this is severe nerve pain to the face that causes headshaking.

In her case, it's constant at rest, and varies on the lunge, likely due to the fact that she's had most of the year off and it's exciting. Veterinary recommendation is that she is PTS if we don't find a way to manage it.

Painkillers don't touch it, I'm not going down the PENS route (very expensive, very low success rates) and I am fairly sure that PTS will be the outcome. My vets are normally very peppy and optimistic, but they're all sounding as defeated as I feel. She will be turned away for some time just in case it is seasonal or related to where we are. Maybe we'll be lucky and she'll be one of the 5% that recover spontaneously.

Before that, we're trying her on steroids despite being confident that it isn't allergies and I am also having a cranio-sacral therapist out despite my skepticism. I am trying and failing repeatedly. I have looked at supplements and will continue to do so. If I find something that seems to do the trick, we'll try it, but equally I've maxed out the insurance and spent a good chunk of money already. It sounds awful and I feel awful about it, but I need to be practical going forward. Especially as I have another horse, a new mortgage to pay and only myself to rely on.

There are very few people that choose PTS on a whim. I go backwards and forwards over it all day, every day. The thought of not having her in my life is heartbreaking but the thought of keeping her alive and in constant pain is worse.

She might look "fine" to anyone else. From my perspective, from knowing her, the tension in her face, the near permanent ticks in her facial muscles, the snorting and shaking and twitching and stomping.. that's not right.

This mare used to be so relaxed that her bottom lip never stopped hanging as far from her face as it could. She was a busy body - always bumbling around, finding any reason to squeal and buck and leap around. If a person was there, she'd be all over them. Looking for fuss, resting her head against them. If it were possible, she'd have put her headcollar on herself.

Now she'd rather steer clear. More often than not, I see her standing still. Definitely not relaxed, definitely not alert to what is going on around her.

The whole situation is completely and utterly soul destroying.

So no, she is not fine. And people saying otherwise does nothing other than making an already heartbreaking situation almost unbearable.
So sorry. I've just had to consider PTS for Shy due to COPD, and it's been a complete rollercoaster. No sleep, not eating, crying. Sending you big hugs xx

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
You have all my sympathies, I experienced the same when my mare had her stomach blockage…just have to grow a thicker skin and ignore..but it’s hard when you re in decision making turmoil inside.

Marnie

Visit site
I'm so sorry having been through something similar with a young horse (different condition) I can totally understand. Thinking of you xx