Bute allergy?

JenJ

Visit site
My new boy is a 'special' case and seems to have an allergy to barley. When he came to us from his racing yard last month, he was fed the same as the other ex-racers and within a day came out in hives all over. Call to the old trainer revealed he had in the past couple of years comes out hivey around this time of year so on vet advice they gave him a barley free diet. We changed him to Saracen Releve, with the same Alfa A oil and speedibeet and the hives disappeared (along with some phenargen from the vet).

Then he got kicked nearly two weeks ago and was quite sore we we buted him. The only things other than his normal diet he was given that day were polos, garlic and bute (first two to get him to eat the third!). Next day he was covered in hives again. Couple of days later vet came back, gave bute injection and anti-histamine injection - absolutely fine.

Then having been off box rest for a whole afternoon (!) he got a touch of white line disease and could hardly move. Vet back, gave more bute. Next day covered in hives again.

It is possible that some kind person may have given him titbits without my knowledge (sign is going up outside his box today saying 'NO TREATS PLEASE!', but it seems that bute is the common factor in the reactions. He didn't come out in them when he had the bute injection, but he also had an anti-histamine injection at the same time, which may have neutralised any reaction.

Can bute be an allergen? I've not heard of it happening before. He doesn't seem to be too bothered by the hives, but I'd obviously rather avoid reactions in future!

JenJ

Visit site
4A29D566-254D-49E3-B8C4-6A5886A655CF-1887-0000022553C49F1A_zps40a38805.jpg

FD52B5EB-4003-44F2-89FE-B175A0312D4B-1887-000002251B424E3C_zpsa044d1f0.jpg

f762e939-0afa-49c3-a9af-cec21d18d965_zpsca94a7c7.jpg

Love

Visit site
I don't know exact details but a horse at my yard had a reaction to bute and came out in lumps - didn't see him but from the description they were the same as the photos you have posted. My guess it is the bute

JenJ

Visit site
How interesting, I'd never heard of any reaction to it like this before!

I may just have to wrap him in cotton wool as I've owned him 3 weeks and he's needed bute for 2 separate incidences so far...!

I believe danilon would probably have the same reaction, so may I ask what you use on your bute-allergic horses instead?

Greygirl

Visit site
My mare has also tried danilon, arquel and metacam but has reacted to all of these drugs, not helpful with her arthritis! As far as day to day management goes I let her tell me what she can or can't do along with a supplement to soothe her joints. She had a ligament injury a few years back so I used a gel product from the vet that was absorbed through the skin. I do worry though as I am not sure what will happen if she was really ill/injured.

Apparently she's the most allergic horse my vets have seen as she is also allergic to various common foods, pollens, bites and fly repellant.