Bute for arthritis

MyBoyChe

Visit site
How much can a 600kg horse have per day? I thought maybe 2 sachets a day for 5 days then reduce down to 1 and down to half and gauge the success or failure. He isnt lame, just a bit reluctant to go forwards and a but awkward for the farrier. Hes not a forwards sort of horse but he doesnt usually resist the farrier as much as he did yesterday. Ive been using magnetic boots but the weather has changed and I think hes feeling it. He had his first sachet this morning and tonight, for the first time in a couple of weeks, when he saw me at the gate at bedtime, he cantered across. This is what he normally does but I cant believe 1 sachet this morning has made that much difference!!

be positive

Visit site
Usually the vet will advise 2 or possibly more for 10 days as a loading dose then reduce gradually being prepared to go up again if they get worse, you really need to be guided by the prescribing vet as they will only give as much as they feel are needed.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I know it's not the question you asked, sorry, but have you tried anything non prescription? Devil's claw products have been tested and proven to be effective (and possibly kinder on the stomach) So effective that they are banned in competition. Cheaper as well.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
ycbm, he has been having turmeric since last December but this last couple of weeks he is definitely a bit stiffer. Have you any suggestions for specific things to try, I just need him to be comfortable, he is only ever ridden at walk and trot out hacking, no schooling or jumping so a very light workload

Archangel

Visit site
Micronised linseed made a huge difference to my elderly (34 years) pony. I take it myself now after seeing the effect on him.

Re the bute, I would be guided by the vet as to loading dose.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
How much can a 600kg horse have per day? I thought maybe 2 sachets a day for 5 days then reduce down to 1 and down to half and gauge the success or failure. He isnt lame, just a bit reluctant to go forwards and a but awkward for the farrier. Hes not a forwards sort of horse but he doesnt usually resist the farrier as much as he did yesterday. Ive been using magnetic boots but the weather has changed and I think hes feeling it. He had his first sachet this morning and tonight, for the first time in a couple of weeks, when he saw me at the gate at bedtime, he cantered across. This is what he normally does but I cant believe 1 sachet this morning has made that much difference!!
Mine was on half a sachet for about five years and weighs more than yours. She is one a day now but i sometimes think she could go back to half. My vet told me they had a adult shire who was on 1/4 sachet a day though quite how you manage thst is anyones guess. Has your vet not told you how much to administer? Dont forget you can get large volumes of bute cheaper on prescription. I was paying 82p per day for 100 bute on prescription saving myself £ 33.00 per 100 against what the vet was selling them for.

ycbm

Visit site
ycbm, he has been having turmeric since last December but this last couple of weeks he is definitely a bit stiffer. Have you any suggestions for specific things to try, I just need him to be comfortable, he is only ever ridden at walk and trot out hacking, no schooling or jumping so a very light workload

There is no real evidence that turmeric is effective in horses at the dose rates that it's possible to feed it.

Devil's claw has been tested and those supplements are so effective that they are banned from use in competition horses. They also usually contain MSM, which is also a proven anti-inflammatory.
There are at least three on the market, take your pick.

No need to pay for vet visits, either, if you are sure it's just the arthritis.

Last edited:

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
I've just looked on e-vet. They are £64.89 for a box of 100. Your prescription cost will be set by your vet. My prescription allows me 6 months worth of time. After thst the vet will see the horse again.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
There is no real evidence that turmeric is effective in horses at the dose rates that it's possyto feed it.
I have juat started feeding it about 12 days ago now at normal dose and its made no discernable difference to mine yet so the jury is still out on that for me.

ycbm

Visit site
I have juat started feeding it about 12 days ago now at normal dose and its made no discernable difference to mine yet so the jury is still out on that for me.

It sounds like you are saying that one sachet a day of Bute is not enough for your horse, if you are trying adding turmeric?

I don't think there's any scientific evidence for turmeric at the doses recommended.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
It sounds like you are saying that one sachet a day of Bute is not enough for your horse, if you are trying adding turmeric?
No that's not the case at all!! Its just that Equine America were doing a deal whereby my normal joint supplement and a 3KG tub of Tumeric were at a really good price. I just wanted to add something to support the anti-inflammatory effect of bute as I had heard so much about how effective it was in both dogs and humans. £8.50 for 3KG was a good punt for me! It's certainly not going to hurt to try.

In humans it is a useful antioxidant. it is also linked to an increase in brain function and has anti depressive properties. There is some thought that it can help prevent Altzheimers Disease and studies have shown that it can contribute towards the death of cancerous cells in preventing cancer growth, spread and development at molecular level.

SEL

Visit site

My gelding is about 675kg and has 1 x bute per day over winter with 2 around farrier time. I've tried all herbal options without getting anywhere near the effectiveness of bute. He is on bute rather than danilon. It's cheaper but my other horse flatly refused to eat it - & she's not fussy!

On 2 sachets per day he thinks he's Valegro which causes a few issues. Piaffe at the field gate for instance...