Bute for footiness?

NellRosk

Visit site
My bf boy is really struggling and it's horrible seeing him like this. Until my farrier can come out to shoe/ ground dries up will bute help his footiness a bit?

Jsye

Visit site
It may mask the discomfort but he could end up bruising his sole if he can't 'feel' due to the bute.. have you got any hoof boots for him?

NellRosk

Visit site
It may mask the discomfort but he could end up bruising his sole if he can't 'feel' due to the bute.. have you got any hoof boots for him?

His feet are already horrendously bruised, on his white feet can see the red marks. Yes he has boots for hacking but the yard won't put them on to turn him out and now I'm stuck between a rock and hard place. I have no idea what else to do!

Jsye

Visit site
Oh no :-( I feel for you mines just been in a week with suspected lami which may now just have been bruising to his feet. Have you got any Keratex hoof hardener? You paint it on the soles and walls every day for a week then after that twice a week - it's good stuff! Although some don't like it because it's got formaldehyde in it.

NellRosk

Visit site
Oh no, it's a nightmare isn't it! I've bought some iodine that's meant to be good for hardening soles - could try the keratex if that doesn't work. Just so worried and people are making comments on the yard now. Arghhhhhhhh.

Goldenstar

Visit site
My vet Is happy to give bute for footiness to tide a horse over and it helped my TB a great deal when we took him BF .

TigerTail

Visit site
also arnica for the bruising.

Ignore the yard folk - putting shoes on just makes uneducated owners feel better because the horse is showing no outward signs of discomfort, whilst the shoe effectively masks the damage being done underneath.

NellRosk

Visit site
also arnica for the bruising.

Ignore the yard folk - putting shoes on just makes uneducated owners feel better because the horse is showing no outward signs of discomfort, whilst the shoe effectively masks the damage being done underneath.

Thankyou. I know it's just really disheartening having people make little comments all the time and especially when my YO picked the night that my mum does my horses for me (I work late on a Tuesday) to go up to her and say that I need to shoe him. So then had my mum last night telling me he needed shoes on. My boy is slightly arthritic and I'm only doing this with his best interests at heart and fed up of my old school traditional mother saying what I'm doing is wrong and just to get some shoes on him so I can be out hunting! I'd rather not hunt for a season and have him sounder for another 10 years or so than 'have my fun on him' now.

ETA I do apologise for that little rant :eek:

Last edited:

Micky

Visit site
I would do what is best for the horse...yes bute him if he is sore...you wouldnt go around with a permanent headache and not take anything for it...it will do him no harm for the interim until the farrier can come out..

NellRosk

Visit site
I would do what is best for the horse...yes bute him if he is sore...you wouldnt go around with a permanent headache and not take anything for it...it will do him no harm for the interim until the farrier can come out..

Very true.

why won't the yard allow him to wear his boots?

Got some excuse about lack of time and I didn't want to push it as I don't want them to turn round and say they can't do AM turnout. Also I don't want him left out in his boots as there is so much mud they'd get sucked off and also mud would go down and rub him. Crap situation.

claribella

Visit site
I was just thinking and I know its basic but worth mentioning anyway. Maybe just treat for thrush as well as even the smallest signs can make them footy and uncomfortable. My mare had a small amount last year which made her dead footy but once we cleared it up she was ok again:) Can recommend the frog stuff from aromesse. I forgot the name of the product itself but armoesse arte the makers:)

NellRosk

Visit site
Thank you, I'm posting a pic on a new thread because I noticed something weird going on with his feet tonight and his frogs do look small, underdeveloped and thrushy :( I've been spraying with foot rot spray but think I might need to change my plan of action!! X

Buddy'sMum

Visit site
I haven't seen these before!! Have you turned a horse out in them and did they stay on okay?

Sorry, no, I haven't used them (yet!...saw them advertised and made a mental note for next time one of mine has an abscess) but they're for horses on turnout and look like you could make them quite secure.

NellRosk

Visit site
Sorry, no, I haven't used them (yet!...saw them advertised and made a mental note for next time one of mine has an abscess) but they're for horses on turnout and look like you could make them quite secure.

I've been looking at them on a few sites, they look really good. Just a bit pricey, 19 quid for one wrap :eek: but anything to make him more comfortable!

pines of rome

Visit site
I have had wraps on my boy, they are brilliant for when you have had an abscess or for very footsore horses, they stimulate the hoof and you get amazing growth whilst they are on!
You can't ride out in them as they are slippery on tarmac, but you can boot over them or have the pro wraps which have a sole!