Bute for shoeing?

saskiahorsey

Visit site
After following a thread on fb im a bit shocked ... someone posted that horse was lame everytime it had shoes put on ( yes obvious answers were keep barefoot but according to poster had typical tb feet so soles too thin etc ! ) anyhow i was blown away that 7 or more replies were from different posters saying oh its normal to be a bit sore or a bit footy after shoeing ... then at least 4 said oh dont worry mines like this i just give bute the day before and the day of shoeing !!!!

Please tell me im not the only person to be shocked by this or is this a popular thing these days ?

saskiahorsey

Visit site
Not something I would be happy with either no way should shoes make a horse footy or lame,
No me either .. my horse is barefoot now but even when shod( for at least 4 years with me) i would not have expected nor accepted her to be footy or lame after ... i understand sometimes a nail can be too tight or close etc but to have to bute everytime to shoe is just crazy to me !

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I have given bute to stiff horses before shoeing/trimming to help them to lift their legs but if my horse was sore after every shoeing, I would change my farrier.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
the only time bute is acceptable IMO is with a real oldie who struggles to keep leg lifted for farrier to trim(or shoe) my friend has an old horse and gives her bute the night before so she is more comfortable lifting her legs, makes it easier for the farrier as well. if i had a horse who was lame every time it was shod i would be getting a full work up from the vet and/or changing farrier!!!!!

skint1

Visit site
I've never had a horse sore after shoeing, but I had a Tb gelding that had danilon because of his hock arthritis, it made it easier for him and less stiffness afterward, but not for the actual feet themselves if that makes sense

saskiahorsey

Visit site
No this has nothing to do with medical reasons ie athritis ... age etc its just because they are footsore apparently after being shod ... i was just shocked as when i clicked on thread i expected people to say no not normal to be sore and certainly not normal to have to bute for shoeing ... but no its quite common ... this was a tb site so not sure if its common amongst tb owners as they just presume they have bad feet, as a few replies seemed to say he has typical tb feet so too thin soles so i use bute ! by the way im not anti tb iv owned 2 and last one had terrible feet but took shoes off and grew new hoof ... he ended up with better feet than my mare lol

saskiahorsey

Visit site
No this has nothing to do with medical reasons ie athritis ... age etc its just because they are footsore apparently after being shod ... i was just shocked as when i clicked on thread i expected people to say no not normal to be sore and certainly not normal to have to bute for shoeing ... but no its quite common ... this was a tb site so not sure if its common amongst tb owners as they just presume they have bad feet, as a few replies seemed to say he has typical tb feet so too thin soles so i use bute ! by the way im not anti tb iv owned 2 and last one had terrible feet but took shoes off and grew new hoof ... he ended up with better feet than my mare lol
Edited to add this is just for the day or two after shoeing after that they are fine ... most posters said it only lasts a couple of days so dont worry !

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Edited to add this is just for the day or two after shoeing after that they are fine ... most posters said it only lasts a couple of days so dont worry !

if they were my horses,i would worry. my loan horse is half tb and is never sore after shoeing, she is done every 6 weeks on the dot so if they are leaving their horses for a long time between shoeing that may be why they are sore...but its not normal even for tbs....

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I have known a few TBs like this, most would have benefitted for some time out of shoes but had owners/lifestyles not conducive to that. They weren't necessarily sore every time but you certainly wouldn't time any trip outs for the day or two after.
TBH I am not entirely surprised, mostly because I think the change can be more drastic post trim than an unshod horse but that it wouldn't help to not make those changes anyway. I don't like the feet on any of those I have known with this problem and suspect it may be a when not if they are tripped up by them but for the one I have known best for the last few years I suspect it will may well be post retirement.

saskiahorsey

Visit site
I have known a few TBs like this, most would have benefitted for some time out of shoes but had owners/lifestyles not conducive to that. They weren't necessarily sore every time but you certainly wouldn't time any trip outs for the day or two after.
TBH I am not entirely surprised, mostly because I think the change can be more drastic post trim than an unshod horse but that it wouldn't help to not make those changes anyway. I don't like the feet on any of those I have known with this problem and suspect it may be a when not if they are tripped up by them but for the one I have known best for the last few years I suspect it will may well be post retirement

Well it must be common because these tb ( not in racing now) all have owners who seem to see it as the norm to bute for few days to relieve footiniess ... i was just shocked ... never in 33 years have i needed to bute to shoe .. if horse was footy or lame after farrier id have his behind back out to see to horse or id have no shoes !

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I have given bute to stiff horses before shoeing/trimming to help them to lift their legs but if my horse was sore after every shoeing, I would change my farrier.

This.
I did change my farrier years ago for this reason. He did the whole yard of 13 horses so was there once a week. At least 1 horse would be lame every week after shoeing & he just said it was normal..so I changed farriers.
Used to give my old horse Bute before shoeing as he was a shiverer and struggled to lift/ hold up one hind leg. Bute made him more comfortable.

tonitot

Visit site
I have a TB with pretty typical TB feet. She is currently unshod as had been turned away for nearly a year but for 6 years before that she was shod all round and never was sore. If she was sore after being shod I'd assume the farrier had taken too much foot off, put shoes on that were too small or had put a nail in the wrong place.
There was one time she was lame a day or so after being shod and I told my farrier about it, it he was straight out to see if he had done anything wrong but it turned out to be her suspensories.
I'd not be happy with my horse being sore everytime she was shod and would be having a word with the farrier about it. I don't think it's normal at all.

mynutmeg

Visit site

My friend's tb was like this - really sore for a few days post shoeing - turns out the farrier was trimming him so short he essential gave the horse laminitis. Changed farrier and no more footsore

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I bute my retired horse. He just needs a little help holding his hinds up. He no longer wears hind shoes so its not as much of a problem but he's obviously not very comfy without it. Perfectly ok for short periods ie- I can pick his feet out easily but just needs a little something for longer.