Buteless, No Bute, Devils claw or something else?

IamMe

Visit site
I have a 27yo Irish gelding that is a little bit doddery on his legs and vets says it's mild arthritis, if we give him proper pain killers he hates round and does himself damage, so i'm after something herbal to help out a bit, what would you suggest? Buteless, No Bute, plain old Devils claw or something else? Thanks

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I used to swear by Boswellia with my old horse. It was probably cheaper than the above as you buy it in a pure form, no fillers added.
However I’ve looked recently and the used to be recomended by everyone supplier seems to have disappeared? Rahiqq (I think) maybe someone can suggest a good supplier?

Griffin

Visit site
I really like Feedmark joint supplements, they seem to work and they are really helpful if you talk to them (they don't always push the most expensive which I like). I have had good results with their ExtraFlex HA with a few horses.

I have found that boswellia and Devil's Claw (not together) work too.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I’ve been feeding Buteless to my 25yr old which appears to work but I’ve decided to buy Boswellia and make up my own mix. The first ingredient on Buteless superstrength is linseed which I feed anyway so figure I’ll save money by making up my own.

supertramp

Visit site
I've been using Harpagyl ,which is devils claw to my 19 year old with hock arthritis, its good value for money and certainly suits him,

Regandal

Visit site
I’ve just ordered! What rate do you feed at? Do you find it’s quite palatable for fuss pots?

I give roughly a level dessert spoonful a day. You need to start with just a pinch though, it’s a strong taste. I think the recommended dose is 30g a day for a horse. My horses have all eaten it quite readily.

Surbie

Visit site
I do boswellia for mine too and it's got him moving really well now.

Cobbus is a hefty approx 600kg & gets 30ml/day (2 x15ml scoops).

I started him on 1 scoop and built up from there. He's never had an issue eating it.

ETA: He's been on it for just over 2 months now.