Buttercup burn????

mangos88

New User
Visit site
So all four horses on my yard have come out with this rash on their noses. One of my mates has it the worst. She won’t even come near me now for me to put sudacream on. I am now starting to think there is more to it. Just looking for peoples opinions.
It’s really itchy too.

Visit site
One of ours has it too. Or that's what I assume it is. It doesn't seem to itch him though so not completely sure it is that but his skin has gone a bit peeling and flaky - he has a black nose so it's not sunburn!

lamlyn2012

Visit site
It could be a reaction to the lanolin in sudocreme. It's not unusal to be allergic to lanolin. I only use flamazine on my sensitive boy. Is there any Common Hogweed in the paddock, as that will cause nasty skin burns.

dorsetladette

Visit site
I know this may sound silly but hear me out. Try using germoline instead. It is a thinner water based (I think) cream which soaks in easier and doesn't pull the skin when you rub it in.

missmatch

Visit site
Filtabac is a Godsend for buttercup burn if that’s what it is. My boy has to wear it everyday as he’s very sensitive to buttercups and sunburn. I have tried most potions but nothing works as well as filtabac

PurBee

Visit site
Its certainly been a profuse year for buttercups. Every unsprayed meadow is loaded that ive seen and in pictures online. Some years are like that. It’ll be a thistle year, or a dock year….but this year, buttercups are having their turn. I even have them in a paddock they dont usually grow in.
I’ve done 2 lots of topping the grazing this year soley to head the buttercups and stop seed formation/spread. I expect another topping in july/august will be needed too.

It becomes difficult for horses to graze a buttercup loaded field without coming into contact with the flowers, and risking burn. The more mature the plant the more toxins in it too...so they’ll be doing all they can to avoid them but this year will make that v. Difficult. I personally believe a lot of summer lami cases are buttercup leaf toxicity, as they can outcompete grass growth in a well worn paddock, especially ‘bare/fatty paddocks’, take over the field, and hungry horses will eat the leaves, if no access to other forage.

L&M

Visit site
Butter cup burn is definitley 'a thing' - my coloured cob with a pink nose got it really badly on the land we previously rented, as was covered in the stuff every spring.

I used to question whether it was buttercup burn or sun burn but now we have our own land, we have topped the buttercups and he has had no scabs or rashes.

Sudocreme did work for him.