Buyer Beware - PREMIER EQUINE

Girlracer

Visit site
After loving and supporting Premier Equine for a number of years I am hugely disappointed at their very poor customer service. I had heard the stories, and always defended the company. Now here I am, on the receiving end!

Bought a rug no more than 6 months ago (maybe less, actually) and one of the buckles on the neck is very close to giving up. I wouldn't mind that, as stuff goes wrong.

However after contacting the company via email it has been totally dismissed as being damaged by my horse. Quite honestly unless he got his pocket knife out I don't quite see how! He lives in a field made of electric fence, but because I had a photo of him stood near a post and rail fence then apparently that's the reason. Quite honestly if standing near a post and rail for a few minutes causes this damage, then I want some recompense anyway!

Having shared on my own 'wall' it had come to light that I'm not the first to have this very issue, as well as many others having the same issue and same response from Premier Equine. I am known with all my friends as being the one that has everything premier equine, I've recommended them to more or less everyone at some point on forums and Facebook groups. So here I am, making up for all the times I have recommended them.

So if this is how they treat loyal customers... Well I think that means I would rather not be a customer anymore! i was offered a £20 gift voucher to spend with Premier Equine, but that's not going to get my rug fixed is it.

image.jpeg

Moomin1

Visit site
To be honest, I think a £20 gift voucher is reasonable in this instance. 6 mths is a relatively long time with regards rugs given you get some horses who are routine rug wreckers. Premier Equine can't be expected to recompense every person who emails in saying their horse's rug is falling apart, unless of course it's a known issue with one particular rug. In fairness, the tear on that strap does look as if it's been caught on something (I'm not saying it has, but without proof then I don't think PE can be expected to take your word for it unfortunately).

Orangehorse

Visit site
We don't know what our horses get up to when we aren't watching. I'm inclined to agree with Moomin1 about the damage, it does look as though it has been caught on something. The fastenings and materials on rugs are designed to give way at a certain pressure to save the horse from injury.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Well............ take them up on the voucher and take your rug to be repaired, the webbing has been abraded, it was not like that when you bought it, it is strong webbing and has been mis-used. You can take them to court, but you would not win, you have had six months use, even in perfect condition you would be lucky to get £30 for it.
They may not have a facility for fixing rugs, and it would be unreasonable to expect them to repair the rugs they sold to anyone.
Your rug, your horse, your responsibility.
I have only taken things back if they were not as they should be at the time of sale.
Seems to me there are grass stains on it........ has he been lying down in it?

Last edited:

Girlracer

Visit site
This is getting gradually worse over time, and as I said in my OP quite honestly it really isn't so much the damage, it's more the replies I've had from the customer service representative.

I am perfectly capable of having the rug repaired, my gripe is with the responseof the customer service (or lack of, rather)

Girlracer

Visit site
Well............ take them up on the voucher and take your rug to be repaired, the webbing has been abraded, it was not like that when you bought it, it is strong webbing and has been mis-used. You can take them to court, but you would not win, you have had six months use, even in perfect condition you would be lucky to get £30 for it.
They may not have a facility for fixing rugs, and it would be unreasonable to expect them to repair the rugs they sold to anyone.
Your rug, your horse, your responsibility.
I have only taken things back if they were not as they should be at the time of sale.

Get £30 for what, sorry?

Moomin1

Visit site
This is getting gradually worse over time, and as I said in my OP quite honestly it really isn't so much the damage, it's more the replies I've had from the customer service representative.

I am perfectly capable of having the rug repaired, my gripe is with the responseof the customer service (or lack of, rather)

I don't understand what they have done wrong? They have replied to your email by saying that in all likelihood your horse may have damaged the rug, which is true. They've then offered you a voucher. As far as I can see, they have been more than accommodating.

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
I have to agree with the other posters, unfortunately I dont think PE are to blame in this instance. I'd accept the gift voucher and move on.

Last week a relatively new rug, used for less than 4 months i'd say, was found on my horse with one leg strap and one surcingle ripped clean off. Very annoying for what is a relatively new rug and I could have got on to the manufacturer that the quality and strength wasnt good enough but I know that rugs sometimes just get damaged. So I've sat and sewn it all back together and if that doesnt hold in the long run I;ll buy him a new one.

Pocketr@cket

Visit site
If it's a detachable neck why don't they just send a new neck out. It looks like the metal has slid up an down and cut the webbing. Is the metal sharp on inside of the attachment ?

I agree that I would expect better customer service as they can't not prove the ops horse has damaged it anymore than the op can prove it hasn't. The joys of running a business is suck it up and keep paying customers happy or they tell others and go else where.

Doesn't the PE website mention their rugs go through certain testing and they are worth a years - or something worth of use ?

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site

Maybe they think that you are being less than reasonable, if you have spoken to them as you have posted here in a kind of "I am entitled to" attitude, they will look at their legal responsibility and ask their customer sercices to placate you. I do not think they are being unreasonable. If you had taken action to stop the damage it might not have progressed, you are saying that this has occurred over time? A stitch in time saves nine.

Girlracer

Visit site
The value of a six month old used second hand rug in perfect condition

If you can find a 6 month old Premier Equine med weight combo for £30, I'd be very surprised. It was £150.00 new.

I accept that the damage is fixable, although I would have hoped a £150.00 rug to last a little longer than 6 months, nevermind the fact it's only been used during the day and not every day. But regardless of that, perhaps I'm just grouchy (it's quite possible) but I found the tone and dismissal of it quite frustrating. I will share the email perhaps when I'm back on my computer tomorrow.

nato

Visit site
I'm with the other posters too. TBH I've never even thought to question a manufacturer when my horse rips rugs. The first week after I bought a new rug (not PE, and definitely not as good quality), my horse ripped the leg strap and front buckle clean off.

My Amigo rug that I have had for about 6months - she managed to rip one of the straps clean off the hood the other day.

I'll just be sending them both off to get repaired.

That's horses - in particular rug shredders - they damage rugs. From looking at that picture it just looks like consistent pressure has been put on it therefore it's frayed.

Girlracer

Visit site
Maybe they think that you are being less than reasonable, if you have spoken to them as you have posted here in a kind of "I am entitled to" attitude, they will look at their legal responsibility and ask their customer sercices to placate you. I do not think they are being unreasonable. If you had taken action to stop the damage it might not have progressed, you are saying that this has occurred over time? A stitch in time saves nine.

I took a photo of it and sent it to Premier Equine a week or two ago when I first noticed it. After some correspondence and requesting more photos I took more yesterday - it's now worse. It looks obviously to me like the buckle has worn the webbing from the inside out rather than the other way around. I was told it was horse related damage before I had even sent the photos.

It honestly is the attitude and response I've had, I have given them every opportunity I think, I haven't asked for money, I don't want a new rug - Honestly the £20 could probably get me a new fly mask which I could do with! It's the complete dismissal of the issue and tone of email that has led me to this post.

Abacus

Visit site
I find myself torn on this (like the rug :)).

I would expect a rug strap of good quality to last more than 6 months on most horses.

My horses have managed to trash 4 PE rugs - all the Trio outers. Each rug has lasted less than 6 months wear. The straps seem to give out, especially on the neck - more on the stitching than in this case, on the strap. One of my horses is a monster in that he will bite his own rug and those on other horses - I have assumed that it is just my naughty horse to blame. It's an expensive habit. But I will be buying something other than PE next time, to see if it is the horse or the rug.

Having had their rugs for years I do believe the quality is getting worse. Maybe if I show them my 4 neck covers without straps, they will give me £20 each...

Girlracer

Visit site
I find myself torn on this (like the rug :)).

I would expect a rug strap of good quality to last more than 6 months on most horses.

My horses have managed to trash 4 PE rugs - all the Trio outers. Each rug has lasted less than 6 months wear. The straps seem to give out, especially on the neck - more on the stitching than in this case, on the strap. One of my horses is a monster in that he will bite his own rug and those on other horses - I have assumed that it is just my naughty horse to blame. It's an expensive habit. But I will be buying something other than PE next time, to see if it is the horse or the rug.

Having had their rugs for years I do believe the quality is getting worse. Maybe if I show them my 4 neck covers without straps, they will give me £20 each...

I posted on my Facebook page and was inundated with friends who have had problems with the rugs not lasting. One friend has had two rugs do exactly as mine has recently. I might check when I bought it actually.

This horse is not a rug wrecker, he is far too delicate.

Girlracer

Visit site
I just looked and I ordered the rug 4 months ago. He was on limited turnout for a number of weeks.

This was my initial email to them, I don't think I was really asking for anything!

"Hi there. I bought a rug off of you about 4-5 months ago. It has been used regularly although not daily for my horse who comes in at night. And for some reason the buckle on the neck has worn down and is close to breaking as pictured. Little disappointed as an expensive rug that has been lightly used really! Wondering if this is normal?

Thanks"

I then sent further photos. It was replied with the offer of a £25 voucher as a good will gesture, after telli me it was caused by my horse rubbing on a fence.
After expressing my disappontment at the dismissal of the issue (and telling them that my horse is in an electric fences paddock) this is the response I received.

"Hi C----

In your original photo there was the wooden fencing and wooden gate post which would be ideal to rub on. Unfortunately horses will find something if they want to have a rub and from what can be seen in the photos, there is strong evidence of friction damage.
Please have a good look at it yourself and consider our offer of a credit but if you strongly feel the strap and binding haven't been rubbed and it is a fault, then the option to return the neck is available but this would mean you have no matching neck to the rug, as we have no new ones we are able to supply.

Kind Regards"

Maybe I'm grouchy, but I work in client services and I know o wouldn't get away with dismissing the problem as a fault of the customer. Maybe that's why I'm grumpy - because she's saying everything I want to be able to say to my grumpy customers?

Eta - if I return the neck they would have to look at it and decide if it was my horses fault or product fault - they aren't offering to replace it no question.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I don't think I ever replaced chest straps. Leg straps and surcingles, yes, they get ripped off, damaged by the horse getting up and down. I'd be a bit peed off with a £150 rug having this issue within 6 months, TBH. Unless the horse somehow gets up by pushing his chest into the ground, I wouldn't be thrilled.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
It looks as though the horse is
1] constantly rubbing on something, or
2] the buckle is sharp enough to abrade from the inside out, or
3] the horse started the rub and the rug is a bit tight, causing abrasion from the buckle outwards to the rug .
If the buckle is sharp or the strap misaligned then get a report from your rug repairer, and replace the buckle.
If a batch of buckles were sharp they would have had other returns.
I assume the horse does not have rub marks?
I would not really expect them to replace it without question.

Last edited:

Rosiejazzandpia

Visit site
Their response seems reasonable to me to be fair. They can't replace everyones rugs and there must be a lot of people who try it on with them, not saying you have OP, just that you know what some people are like. I'd accept the credit and move on, you can always buy a new rug from a different store or brand or have the current rug repaired at a low cost

Lyle

Visit site
I think their response is perfectly reasonable. Without proof of how the damage occurred, I think it's generous to offer a credit. 6 months after purchase is a long time, especially in regards to rugs! PE were brilliant when I emailed them regarding a broken boot. The boot had slipped XC, and in the process of being trodden on, the strike plate ruptured out the top of the boot. I was offered 50% off a new set of hind boots. However, my email never mentioned compensation, it was more to Let them know about a potential design fault with the boot, as I was lucky the ruptured strike plate didn't skin my horses leg. The leather covering wasn't strong enough when the sharp end wanted to break through. They were grateful for the photos.

burge

Visit site
Premier Equine seem to 'copy' a lot of other manufacturers products eg. Lemieux, Rambo. There's a reason why their products are a lot cheaper!

Mooseontheloose

Visit site
Our PE rugs have done three winters. Cleaned each spring and put away. It doesn't matter how expensive rugs are, they get broken, and six months is a long time in rug world, as far as I'm concerned. I'd never dream of going back to the manufacturers unless something ripped within a couple of weeks.

Flora

Visit site
I agree with other people that after 6 months, I think their reply was reasonable. However, I bought 3 full sets of stable wraps, and after one night, one of the straps came clean off. No pulling of the material, rips or anything. Sent pics to Premier Equine, whose reply was that it was my horse that caused the damage and I could buy another set at half price! I even asked them to supply a new strap that I could stitch on myself, but they wouldnt supply one. After spending a fortune on PE rugs in the past, I am hugely disappointed in their customer service and wont be buying anymore from them. Plus, does anyone else find that when wet the rugs are extremely heavier than they used to be?

Goldenstar

Visit site
I agree with other people that after 6 months, I think their reply was reasonable. However, I bought 3 full sets of stable wraps, and after one night, one of the straps came clean off. No pulling of the material, rips or anything. Sent pics to Premier Equine, whose reply was that it was my horse that caused the damage and I could buy another set at half price! I even asked them to supply a new strap that I could stitch on myself, but they wouldnt supply one. After spending a fortune on PE rugs in the past, I am hugely disappointed in their customer service and wont be buying anymore from them. Plus, does anyone else find that when wet the rugs are extremely heavier than they used to be?

No they always weighed a ton

Girlracer

Visit site
I understand not everyone will agree with me, but when I bought this rug (actually a little over 4 months ago) it was bought to last. If it had been ripped, or similar I wouldn't have contacted them. But to me it just seems obvious that it's rubbed inside out, rather than the other way around.

It wouldn't have even come to this, I wasn't aski for it to be replaced (although that would have been nice!) but I have found the customer service to be dreadful.

A company is often as much about its after sales as it is its product, and in this case neither have been very good.

Myloubylou

Visit site
As a comparison another well known rug manufacture sent out for free a chest strap & plastic fastener when I got in touch asking if I could purchase replacement after it got caught in the stable door and broke after rug was slung over the door. It probably cost them pennies to do this but have a happy customer who recommends them to people. The rug was good as new for a £5 it cost to have the buckle put back on.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I understand not everyone will agree with me, but when I bought this rug (actually a little over 4 months ago) it was bought to last. If it had been ripped, or similar I wouldn't have contacted them. But to me it just seems obvious that it's rubbed inside out, rather than the other way around.

It wouldn't have even come to this, I wasn't aski for it to be replaced (although that would have been nice!) but I have found the customer service to be dreadful.

A company is often as much about its after sales as it is its product, and in this case neither have been very good.

If it rubbed from the inside out why is the binding of the rug below the catch damaged ?

cattysmith

Visit site
I'd be delighted if any rug did 6 months on my mare!

That wold be so easy even to fix yourself. I truly don't believe there is a manufacturers fault here at all to be honest. Great gesture with £20 voucher!