Buyer hasn't paid, where do I stand?

Leo Walker

Visit site
Its easy enough to get an overdraft or an interest free credit card etc. If you cant afford to pay it back then you probably shouldnt have a horse as you can run up a lot more than that in emergency vets bills that arent covered by the insurance for some reason.

WelshD

Visit site
I'd love to know what world you live in that it's easy to get hold of £1000 in 24 hours with the prospect of being able to actually pay it back on the sort of incomes a lot of people have. You can be on a lowish income and still be classed as solvent without debts but not be able to take on that sort of debt

But they HAVE taken on that level of debt by agreeing to buy the horse - is that somehow not a 'real debt' ?

You'd have to be on a very low income not to be able to get hold of what is in credit terms not a lot of money. If they took on the reponsibility to pay a couple of grand for a horse in less than a year then they should be able to pay the repayments on a loan over a couple of years, its a case of priorities and urgency, while the money is owed to an individual there is no motivation to pay it back - they can either afford it or they cant, if they cant then they need to hand the horse back

Last edited:

GirlFriday

Visit site
I think a lot of ppl on this thread seem to be ignoring the fact that OP can't afford to repay the amount already paid or keep the horse herself. She doesn't want it back. She just wants the cash. Her best hope of that is a repayment plan with the buyer which is the best outcome she could possibly get from court anyway.

She, presumably, does accept credit cards for this kind of thing. And no court could force anyone to get one either.

So, slow and amicable is best bet.

shirl62

Visit site
I feel sorry for the poor innocent horse . If the horse is so loved by the person who has her then you would do anything to make sure she stays with you.....Maybe a lack of communication between the 2 is the problem.

Shirl

sky1000

Visit site
I think you do need to get accurate legal advice, which you can't on a forum, because a lot of people post without having the technical knowledge. That can be from CAB, or, I gather, BHS. Having done that, you need to sort out what you think of as the desirable outcome. It doesn't sound like you want the horse back.

Or, you can do as Be Positive and others have said, and try to sort out a payment plan. Which does sound like more like you want to do, as you don't want the horse back and like the home.

As you don't want the horse back, I think legal advice would be along the lines of sorting out a payment plan - so the same really.

popsdosh

Visit site
I think the OP has had their fun! Dont start squabbling you lot. Its always a sale gone wrong ,or strangles or a young inexperienced rider and the school holidays have started!!

mynutmeg

Visit site
Its easy enough to get an overdraft or an interest free credit card etc. If you cant afford to pay it back then you probably shouldnt have a horse as you can run up a lot more than that in emergency vets bills that arent covered by the insurance for some reason.

It's not always that easy to get an overdraft or credit card - if you have a bad credit history, say through illness or something else but now have a decent job you still can't get that sort of thing easily.

But they HAVE taken on that level of debt by agreeing to buy the horse - is that somehow not a 'real debt' ?

You'd have to be on a very low income not to be able to get hold of what is in credit terms not a lot of money. If they took on the reponsibility to pay a couple of grand for a horse in less than a year then they should be able to pay the repayments on a loan over a couple of years, its a case of priorities and urgency, while the money is owed to an individual there is no motivation to pay it back - they can either afford it or they cant, if they cant then they need to hand the horse back

It's not always about income - if you've had a really rough patch in the past through being ill, loosing a job or something like that then you simply can't get that sort of money without it being at several thousand percent etc.

I totally agree that if they couldn't or can't afford to pay for the horse then they shouldn't have agreed to take it on.

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
I think the OP has had their fun! Dont start squabbling you lot. Its always a sale gone wrong ,or strangles or a young inexperienced rider and the school holidays have started!!

To be fair, sometimes an article turns up a few weeks later, so it's not always down to kids.

popsdosh

Visit site
To be fair, sometimes an article turns up a few weeks later, so it's not always down to kids.

Invariably first time posters with such a story ,who bite back and disappear as quickly as they turn up are not up to any good.
I dont think this one is a kid but the style is familiar. Anyhow thats my opinion some may not agree however I wont give the OP the pleasure of arguing with you! :)

Last edited:

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
Invariably first time posters with such a story ,who bite back and disappear as quickly as they turn up are not up to any good.
I dont think this one is a kid but the style is familiar. Anyhow thats my opinion some may not agree however I wont give the OP the pleasure of arguing with you! :)

Eh? I was agreeing with you! I just pointed out that it could be a journalist rather than a kid. But whatever - bored now anyhow.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Id personally tell her you really need the money by a set date and if not, then you'll need to sell the horse to someone else. But yes she'll likely want what money she's given you back (and she should get it since she hasn't got the horse at the end of this even though she's messed you about). If you cant afford to give her her money back, then I guess you can have a few months to find it (since she strung you along for ages), meanwhile try to sell the horse and some of that money from its sale can pay her back?

Last edited: