Buying 7.5t horsebox - any advice/tips please?

Sam_J

Visit site
As title - will shortly be in the market for a 7.5t horsebox, as we now need something with living in it. Limited budget of around 8K (I know, not much!) so definitely at the cheaper end of the used market. Anyone any tips on pitfalls to look out for and the right questions to ask please?

oldie48

Visit site
Many older boxes are very heavy so make sure you know the payload. I don't know how many horses you are wanting to carry but beware that although some are stalled for three, they might not carry three legally. Think carefully about what you need to be warm and comfortable, are you going to want to sleep in it in winter etc. My first lorry was like a tin can and was unbearably cold or very hot depending on the weather as there was a lack of insulation. Also get up into the luton to see how you feel, some are very low and a bit claustrophobic, a little window in the side pref which opens can make sleeping up there much more comfortable. Good luck, I hope you find something suitable,

DappleDown

Visit site
Look underneath all of lorry very thoroughly.
Check battery box area for rusting / other.
Check floors, esp rear horse area.
Check payload.
Check for leaks / damp / condensation.
Ask for paperwork re previous owners.
Ask for paperwork re service history.
Ask for any test certificates re gas appliances.
Check appliances / water etc are all working.

Test drive it.

And make sure it is plated before you part with any money.

Good luck with your search.

cowgirl16

Visit site
Excellent responses already - but I would always recommend a pre-purchase inspection from a suitably qualified person first. May seem an expensive outlay - but by golly it could save you a lot of grief!

Sam_J

Visit site
Thank you for the responses so far - all good points to remember. I am planning on getting an inspection done before I part with any money, but not sure who to ask. I guess it depends on which part of the country I end up buying from - or does anyone have recommendations for a good mechanic who is willing to travel?

blackhor2e

Visit site
We had an inspection done and whilst he did inspect the engine and floor etc he didn't inspect the roof (which we found out after a while was leaking) so after a costly bit of repair work it's ok again. Just something to keep in mind.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
As title - will shortly be in the market for a 7.5t horsebox, as we now need something with living in it. Limited budget of around 8K (I know, not much!) so definitely at the cheaper end of the used market. Anyone any tips on pitfalls to look out for and the right questions to ask please?

I will pm you with info

Sam_J

Visit site
D66 - can you do this with 7.5t? I know you can do it with the smaller ones, but not managed to find it for the bigger wagons.