Buying a 17 year old pony? I need talking into, or out of it 🤣

exracehorse

Visit site
You say you would get into trouble at home , presume your other half, as you’ve not been well and should be taking it easy. Don’t rush into anything.

smiggy

Visit site
I paid a lot of money for a 17 year old pony last year for myself, even after he failed the vetting 🤣 I have had so much fun with him and doing things I never thought I’d be able to. I love the bones of him.
he actually went lame after I Had had him for about 6 months ( turned out to be a splint ) and although I was devastated, I never regretted buying him for a moment . Even just those 6 months would have been worth the money .luckily for me he is now sound as a pound and we are just having such fun competing and learning.
I also , years ago, bought my son a 20 year old pony for mounted games, two weeks later they were at pony club champs.he was the best pony for years and then went on loan to another child .
Do it xx

minesadouble

Visit site
This is our rising 17 year old pony, bought the summer before last, for my youngest daughter. She certainly wasn't a cheap pony and I baulked a little simply because of her age and the fact she'd had her hocks medicated.
She passed a 5 stage vetting and is worth her weight in gold, the fun my daughter has had with her over the last 18 month's is immeasurable.
Definitely buy the pony if it's the right one it's worth it, regardless of age.

1000011119.png1000011125.png1000011129.png1000011127.png

Bobthecob15

Visit site
This is our rising 17 year old pony, bought the summer before last, for my youngest daughter. She certainly wasn't a cheap pony and I baulked a little simply because of her age and the fact she'd had her hocks medicated.
She passed a 5 stage vetting and is worth her weight in gold, the fun my daughter has had with her over the last 18 month's is immeasurable.
Definitely buy the pony if it's the right one it's worth it, regardless of age.

View attachment 133725View attachment 133726View attachment 133727View attachment 133728
What a cracking horse 💕

catembi

Visit site
My pony was still hacking out & trying to get in a sneaky gallop at 34 or 35... I took her to a xc schooling day at 27 as whatever big horse I had at the time was off games & I'd already paid for it & wanted to go. She also similarly stood in & saved the day at a sj clinic at 29... She was PTS at 40 as she had accumulated too many health problems. My grandad bought her as a 3 yo from the farm next door to his, for £200 in 1975, so we got our moneys worth out of her!

Hobo2

Visit site
Buy it and do not ask for livery unless you have fully paid for it as someone may well give them the money and take straight away as good ponies are hard to find.

That_midgit_equestrian

Visit site
Thoughts?

It ticks all the boxes, every one. But I have two children and I’d like to think the younger one could go onto it after the older has outgrown.

Am I being silly to think that a 17 year old pony could do this? And still be jumping 70 at pony club at 22?
Or am I being silly to not buy the perfect pony because it’s 17?

It’s also not the ideal time because the kids are not riding much at the moment due to the weather and having no arena. But if I wait until spring then the world and his dog will be looking…

I will also get into trouble at home as I’ve not been well lately and I’m supposed to be taking less on. But it will really cheer me up! And the child does need a bigger pony this year, that can’t be escaped from.

All input appreciated please!
Get the pony
, the horse that gave me the most and taught me everything was 22 just a loan but I’m forever grateful for what that pony taught clueless 12 year old me bless his soul he’s no longer with us but was ace. get it vetted if you can just to check for any major issues but horses as long as there kept fit and healthy can do loads until later on if there properly looked after, I’ve recommend turmeric for the joints I think it is? But yes go for it as long and you look after and preserve the pony you should be fine and your kids will learn so much from itB8640DDC-C610-4A54-A16B-8E2FF22EC4D7.jpeg
My boy flying over jumps at 22