Buying a 3rd horse on a tight budget

Oscar

Visit site
It looks like my my youngster is going to be sidelined for a while & need time off to recove from whatever he did in the field and rather than sulk for 6 months, i have decided to borrow £5k and buy a second horse to go out and have fun on. Especially as I recently bought a lorry to get out & about on! I know my budget isn't huge (it is to me mind you!!). & I can probably stretch to £6k at a push, but where is best to look for this price bracket. Now I don't except a Grand Prix prospect, but it must be under saddle as I have I retired injured horse, my youngster and this will be my 3rd, and I just don't want to wait any longer for a baby to be old enough to get going.

I am willing to consider 3yos that are ready to back but I must factor the cost of backing into the price. Ideally thou I'd like to be able to ride him/her from the get go. Ideally to be 16.2+ and ideally 4 or older. Ive looked at Irish sites, but they just don't really do it for me, maybe I should go and see a few as you seem to get more for your money? I look daily at all the for sale sites, do wanted ads work? I'm dizzy now looking at all these horses and I haven't been to see one yet! Where do failed show jumpers get sold?

Any advice welcome.

Shay

Visit site
Might help to know what discipline you are looking for? Are you after something younger you can produce and sell on or something more "ready to go" currently competing? Or something a little older (although not to add to your retirement collection!) ready to step down? What are you planning to do with it in 6 months when your youngster comes back? Might leasing a competition horse be a better use? (I only know about BS/BE with that one - no idea if it is available for dressage or showing!) You wanted a failed SJ-er - but for what?

Oscar

Visit site
Oh sorry doh!! I do dressage, don't like jumping but like to be able to hack for fitness & variation.

Horse is to keep & not sell, ideally - hence a yard full of crocs!! So when youngster is back in work I will hopefully have 2 to compete. I don't work so time is not an issue.

Ideally it would be a 4yo + that I can go out on straight away to clinics lessons, then be competing within a few months if he/sh is young. I would consider older, but I'd expect it to be further on in training but then would be out of budget. I ideally don't want something too old that only has a few years left as I couldn't stretch to 4 horses in a year or so!!

Sorry re the failed SJ'er comment, I see on BD forum lots of people say get a failed SJ'er as they are usually tough and sane - but where, and they can often do a change with it being a big deal like dressage horses seem to make it lol.

Last edited:

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Why not look for something to loan??? Seems a bit hasty to go buy something when in six months you may no longer need it, not saying you wouldn't keep it of course but I wouldn't jump in and buy for the sake of six months :)

Good luck though if you do go buying, it's a minefield out there for those wanting a comp prospect

Arniebear

Visit site
Ive just done a very similar thing! Current boy injured and off for 6 months so i borrowed some money and brought a 4 yr old. Main difference with me is sadly my lad wont come back to event, so new pony will event and big lad will dressage instead! Depends on what breed ur after but i got mine from irish horse imports as i wanted an irish!

hollyandivy123

Visit site
you want to have fun so how about finding a older but more experienced horse on loan even in an age you would not consider buying, no upfront financial outlay, you carry on lessons etc competing?

Jango

Visit site
I've just managed to buy a super little 5yo KWPN for that money, his dad is at PSG and he has correct, loose paces and he's so well behaved and trainable (so far!) he is about ready for unaff prelim, hacks well and pops a fence, so they are out there!

I looked at absolutely loads of horses and loads sound fantastic but a lot had such flat paces and/or looked unhappy or naughty. Arbel Sporthorses in Cheshire had a couple of SJ bred backed youngsters for around 5k, not for me but decent horses! Also check horse quest every day they seem to have the best selection of quality youngsters, there's the odd one on preloved but you have to sort through so many terrible ads to find them! BD classifieds has some but they are very expensive! There are actually some good ones on the British dressage fb page and a Irish drafts and sports horses for sale and loan page. Hope that helps!

Oscar

Visit site
I like the idea of loaning a more established horse but the reality is they don't seem to be out there. Also I prefer to buy as I get attached and have had to sell so far.

I'm not concerned about having two to work in 6months as I'm fortunate in the fact I have all day to ride.

I need a good full up16.2+, I tried a 16.2 ISH today but he felt very small, I have 2 that are around 18hh & although I'd prefer a more normal size being a 6ft male I need something I feel fits.