Buying a first horse

HorseGirl01

New User
Visit site
Firstly, Hello! I am new to the forums, had an account a while ago, but stopped using it, so here I am, on a new one
smile.gif

Okay, so this could be a long one, appologies, I shall try to keep it as short as I can..
blush.gif

I have been riding for about 5 years now, only ever been to two riding schools, chopping and changing between the two over the years. Got a lot of experiences from both yards - good and bad.

I have now been riding a pony, owned by someone from one of those yards for about a year - well, just over a year. I am completely in love with him, he's so amazing, I won't bore you with the details, but whenever I think of myself riding, I picture myself on him, no other horse.

When I first started to ride him, I discovered that I was not quite the good rider I thought I was, and it took me a few months just to be able to ride the pony properly - but being the lovely pony he is, he put up with my bad riding and looked after me, bless him!
smile.gif

I have improved soo much over the past year or so and now feel I'm fully capable of doing more than what I'm doing on him - he is also capable of taking me to where I want to be, but as he is not mine, and I'm 'sharing' him with the owner, I feel I will never get there. It breaks my heart to think of not riding him any more, but I know one day things will change
frown.gif

I, like many other riders, suffer from nerves at shows, and I believe the only way I will ever get over these nerves is to ride more (am only riding 2/3 times a week) and do more shows (only do the occasional one - maybe every 3months) therefore the nerves are staying put.

One of my friends just recently got her own horse, and lets face it, yes I am extremely jealous - as most people would be
tongue.gif
but I am very pleased for her
smile.gif

I have now decided, I want my own horse to care for, to ride, to bond with; a horse that, together, we can get to where I want to be. I want this more than anything.

Mum and dad know this, and want me to have my own too, everything horseywise is on hold at the mo anyway due to my GCSEs, but after then I think it will be more likely than ever that I might get my own.

Problem at the minute is money.

Could probably get just about enough money together to buy a horse, but then things would be even tighter than they are now with money.
We live in (without sounding big-headed) a very nice house, one of the more expensive ones in the area, which if houses were selling, would sell for around £600,000.

Mum said we can sell the house, buy somewhere cheaper then get a horse - resulting in having no money problems at all and mum being able to give up work... as she hates her job, bless, but the harsh reality is most people do!
frown.gif

I worked out today that I have about £350 saved up which is about 3months livery at my local yard. After my GCSEs I have already got a summer job lined up, and I worked out if I work one day every week, that is enough to pay livery every month - so even if we had the spare money, I could still pay livery myself
smile.gif
which would actually feel great, in my opinion anyway!

So now, I'll stop the rambling - or try to!

Basically, what things do I need to consider when looking for a horse?

And caring for my first? As I'm worried I'm not experienced enough... But I'm not sure I could know any more than I do now, without ever owning my own?

Also, what other prices do I need to consider.
So far I have thought up:

-Livery
-Farrier
-Dentist
-Occasional vet visit (hopefully not often
tongue.gif
)
-Feed (if fed)
-Bedding (if stabled)

What else do I need to consider?

Lastly, do you think I'm making the right decision considering to get my own horse?
I would keep it at a livery yard that always has someone around in case I need help or advice, but I still can't help worry!

Thank you sooo much for reading this, I'm so sorry it's so long
crazy.gif

Any help would be so much appreciated.

Thanks
smile.gif
xx

tasteofchristmaschaos

Visit site
I would ask the person you share the pony with if she thinks your ready to get your own.
Also ask your instructors at the two riding schools.
Price wise you will also need to pay for...
-insurance
-saddle fitter
-back person
-hay (don't know if you included this in feeding)
-wormer
-vaccinations
-tack + rugs if they don't come with them (this is very expensive - always try and get them with the horse.)
I am sure there are others, but I can't think of any right now!
PM me if you want to discuss it any more - I'm only a couple of years older than you and I got my first horse last saturday so I might be able to answer any qu's you may have
smile.gif

Hovis_and_SidsMum

Visit site
Welcome to the forum!
Insurance
Back person
Hay (if not included in the livery)
Tack / rugs etc - if not included with the horse you buy
Supplements - if needed
Lessons
Entry fees to shows

Although a lot older than you i bought my first horse and was just as worried. I have learned a huge amount from other people and from trial and error!
The only thing i would say is i don't know what you're planning to do ref further education / uni or whatever but it might be worth thinking about what you'd do with your new boy / girl at that point.

Dobby

Visit site
Yep, I would deffo ask your instructor what she thinks too, although seeing as she was helping you find one i guess she thinks your ready! I've wanted a horse since I was about 11 and i'm 20 now, looking back if I had gotten one then there's no way I would've been ready - I don't know how old you are though and dont want to patronise you
smile.gif

Well i've just got a new pony on loan who's coming in a couple of weeks and he comes with tack and rugs but i've had to buy:

Grooming kit (more expensive than you'd think
frown.gif
)
Haynet
Feed bucket
Boots
Bandages/little first aid kit

I know i've forgotten loads but will just have to buy that as and when as I can't think of it!

Make sure you don't over horse yourself as well! I think too many people go for something just to impress other people!

Good luck if you go ahead
smile.gif

Gooby

Visit site
You may want to consider insurance as well? When you go to look at horse make sure you take someone experienced with you if you can as they have more of an idea of what to look for, also think about whether or not you want it vetted (small extra cost but can make a big difference in the future).

Money is one of the biggest things you need to think about, surviving from month to month is fine but what if you come up against something unexpected, would you have any savings to deal with it or would your parents be able to help you with it?

When I got my first horse just over a year ago I knew the basics but I found it to be a very steep learning curve (partly because my horse picked up an injury) but you find your way and if your on a good yard there should be lots of people around to help you out if you get stuck.

When your looking for a horse beware of dealers, some are good and some not quite so much and dont settle for one that may not be right just because you want a horse tomorrow! Take your time and find one thats right for you and your abilities!

Hope it works out for you
smile.gif

HorseGirl01

New User
Visit site
It's certainly not the riding aspect, as the pony I ride is not easy - far from it!
I'm worried I don't have loads of experience in looking after them, but thinking about it, I have spent lots of time with a friend and her poor horsey who appears to be constantly broken and is quite prone to colic, so I think I know more than I give myself credit for
crazy.gif

All I can say is I hope I will learn more when I have my own..
crazy.gif

Insurance, one I completely forgot about
blush.gif
crazy.gif

Hay - I did include with feed, as with wormer and vaccinations - under the 'vet' heading, as they're that kinda thing, if that makes sense
tongue.gif

Tack I would hope to get with the horse, but that isn't always offered! Same with rugs - but I live near a tack shop which has sales quite often meaning 50% of rugs
laugh.gif

Thank you very much for your responce, it really helped a lot
laugh.gif

HorseGirl01

New User
Visit site
Wow, thanks everyone for your replies
smile.gif

Dobby, I am 16 - so think I'm at a fairly good age as there are many older more experienced people that can help me, but I'm young enough still to learn for myself, whilst being old enough to behave responsibly
smile.gif

I also have things like full grooming kits etc due to particially loaning a horse for a year - all in great condition so would just have to clean it before using on a new horse
smile.gif

Also, I would get a horse that is right for me, as like I said I'm trying to overcome show nerves and don't want something that's just going to scare me
crazy.gif

Thank you for your reply
smile.gif

kwinstanley - Parents would always be able to help me out, if we did go ahead and sell house for something cheaper, I wouldn't need to pay for my own livery - I would do it out of choice
smile.gif
Mum has always said we could buy a house with land, and keep a horse at home, but I would feel much more comfortable at a livery yard, just so there are people around if I need them!!
Thank you for you responce
smile.gif

blackmagic

Visit site
I bought my horse when I was at a similar stage to you - few years at riding schools, then just over a year of loaning.
I was in my 20's but you seem mature and considerate of what it involves. Whilst you may theoretically be able to afford it, don't forget in the years soon to come you may want to learn to drive, leave home, go out more - all of which cost money!
If you are worried that you are lacking horse care knowledge why not try one of the equestrian courses like the horse owner's certificate? There is usually someone experienced around to help at livery yards, and of course HHO!

ribena73

Visit site
I agree with the others and you should ask your instructor. Also I would consider insurance too.

One thing I would like to also say though, having had ponies as a child, is that it is very hard work if you are still in school. I was lucky in that my dad was horsey and so did the "morning shift" in the winter for example, but then during my GCSE's we agreed that the horse had to go so I could crack on with my schoolwork (although this was 20 years ago when riding was mostly happy hacking and no shows etc!). After GCSE's came A levels then university, and I honestly don;t think I could have coped physically or mentally with horses then, although I know people do. My family certainly couldn't have coped financially. I think what I'm trying to say is looking after your own horse is hard work, and if you are just starting out and at the same time needing to step up a gear in school or whatever, it will be even harder. Not to mention the cost!