Buying a friesian

katydixon

Visit site
Hello I'm considering buying my next horse and a friesian has cropped up but it wasn't what I was originally after. What are peoples experience with the breed? I haven't owned one myself, I've always had PBA's.

Are there any classes at local shows that friesians can be entered into? Or are friesians mainly shown at specific shows for that breed, I only ask as I've never seen any around before and I do enjoy showing as a part of owning a horse. Any advice or peoples options on the breed welcomed :) thanks in advance :)

Equi

Visit site
Marmite horses. I jd one for two months and we did not get on at all. Awful animal. A girl at my yard has a horse that's cross but quite a lot of friesian and he is a lovely boy personality wise but can't ride worth a ****. Has potential but just doesn't "get" it no matter what rider he has he's too sensitive. Another friend had one and she was amazing - did xc and sj and showing in general hacking with her but I think she was quite hard to ride and she did use a lot of energy to get her doing things. Quite nervy I think. Then there are the carriage ones that go anywhere and everywhere and are something else. I do think they are better carriage horses than riding horses.

UnaB

Visit site
Agree with the above. They are a breed with a lot of variety in type and temperament so research into lines is a must.

I had a pure friesian mare for 6 years. Had her from a yearling, broke her myself and absolutely cannot fault her. Kind, gentle, calm. 100% bombproof in traffic, never argumentative or mareish and never once has a single issue with her ridden or on the ground. My only problem was she was too big for me (grew to about 16.3!!!) And I have to admit I never did get on with the big friesian trot. Lovely in walk but the trot is BIG!!! She went to a home with a novice owner a couple of years ago and is now competing very successfully in dressage (where she was most suoted) as well as a bit of xc and showjumping and her new owner adores her as much as I did.

The foal I kept is now four and broken and hacking. Has her mothers perfect temperament but without the big paces. Temperament definitely gets passed on!!

My recommendation would be to make sure to ride more than one. Ensure you are happy with the paces - some people love them!!! And give the horse a thorough trial. The lady who bought mine came three times and took the horse out on a hack on her own on roads, fields etc for about 45 mins each time, to ensure it was the right horse for it 😊

They are a wonderful breed if you get a good one. I have had horses nearly 30 years and never met a nicer natured horse than my friesian.

alainax

Visit site
They are just the best ( slightly biased). Calm, sweet, good natured yet powerful and flashy! There are of course some bad eggs like with any breed, and are all different, So make sure to choose one which suits your needs. You can compete in foreign breed classes.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
Agree with alainax..because I'm biased and am on my second mare. Both have been good natured, calm, willing and quick learners. My first mare did everything I asked her to --loved jumping rustic fences out hacking. New mare is a baby but is taking all new experiences in her stride so I think she will be the same. Obviously I like the action and high neck carriage and I think you have to ride a few before you will know if they are for you. There are showing classes but not that many. Go and meet a few and let us know how you get on.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I have a Friesian cross mare who has been the most wonderful, willing, hardworking partner one could wish for. Always tries her heart out and is calm and absolutely reliable in all situations (and in our business - film work and live demos - that can include ANYTHING). She is, however, not the brightest and it takes three times as long to train anything new. Once she's got it, it's there forever 'though. Sound as a pound after 19 years and still ready to work, she's the best.

Ferncanter_zpsebdd0f9d.jpg

tiggipop

Visit site
you have timed this very well.. between 25th and 28th aug the Friesian Horse society of Gt Britain and Ireland are holding their gradings at Myerscough.. you will not get a better chance to see the many diff types and also chat to owners.. the committee are very friendly and will give you lots of advice.

have a look at their facebook page for more info.

I can definitely agree with comments about them being marmite horses... I have a big lad - he is very affectionate .. very flashy (over 17hh and a stallion!) but an absolute pig to ride... until you get him interested then he is fabulous! the trot takes some getting used to as does the high head carriage

Casey76

Visit site
If you want one for riding, you need to look very carefully at conformation. Some of the carriage bred horses have their necks set on so high that you'll never get their ears out of your nose.

I have a friend who has a Friesian x TB, and she is the type of horse who gives Friesians, TBs and mares a bad name. With the high head carriage and knee action of the Friesian she finds it very difficult to soften to the bridle and lower her head, and a lot of her energy goes into snapping her legs up rather than out, she jumps very badly as she finds it hard to bascule properly, and she is the most mean spirited, grumpy mare I have ever known. Sadly she has really put me off this combination and Friesians in general.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
If you want one for riding, you need to look very carefully at conformation. Some of the carriage bred horses have their necks set on so high that you'll never get their ears out of your nose.

I have a friend who has a Friesian x TB, and she is the type of horse who gives Friesians, TBs and mares a bad name. With the high head carriage and knee action of the Friesian she finds it very difficult to soften to the bridle and lower her head, and a lot of her energy goes into snapping her legs up rather than out, she jumps very badly as she finds it hard to bascule properly, and she is the most mean spirited, grumpy mare I have ever known. Sadly she has really put me off this combination and Friesians in general.

Not surprised she is grumpy, what with being asked to do things for which she is not suited...........why do people keep trying to get horses with naturally high-set necks to work like WB's and TB's with low-set necks? Why do people ask horses with high action to move like WB's & TB's? Why do people ask horses which have no aptitude or desire to jump to do so? Dunno. Horses are not interchangeable automatons, but have aptitudes and talents just like people do. Finding one which is happy and capable of doing what you want to do is the key to a happy life, for both.

Last edited:

LHIS

Visit site
I love the idea of a Friesian, but I think that would all it would be for me. I'm not sure where you are based, but there is a yard up in Cumbria that has just Friesians, they offer riding experiences, the owner is a breed enthusiast and regularly has people who fancy themselves as a Friesian owner coming to visit to learn about the breed first hand.

This is the website if you want to check it out - http://www.blackhorses.co.uk/

katydixon

Visit site
Thank you so much everyone for your opinions and insights into the breed, it's great getting advice and I think I will pursue the breed further :)

fliffkins

Visit site
I have a Friesian x TB - Now 20yo, we've had a very long and highly succesful showing career, he loves jumping (prefering cross country) although he's not keen on anything over 3' (neither am I) unless he decides he wants to come in, then he can jump a 5 bar gate for fun - he is loving, extremly honest and will try his heart out, and very loyal (true friesian trait) but ..... can be stubborn - not naughty he will do as his told but when it comes to schooling - if he doesn't want to do it you can work him till he's on his knees but he just won't do it, then a week later do what you were asking for for fun! He has a cheeky character and can put little bucks in but I feel completley safe with him, he is my horse of a lifetime.
I have just bought a youngster who is a 1/4 Friesian - I wouldn't think twice about having a full bred - but I would be very selective about what a bought as some can be very nervy and flighty, they tend to bond with one person and are very loyal.
Showing wise - local level - you will be able to do foreign breeds, equitation and condition classes - that would be about it for a pure bred.