Buying a horse and experience

stormox

Visit site
I think you should be fairly competent BEFORE you buy a horse. Horses, no matter how experienced, quickly go backwards in the wrong hands.
Can you get experience helping out at your local riding school or dealers yard? - mucking out, leading kids, handling, etc?

ArklePig

Visit site
I don't know if my thoughts are any use to you, but I thought I'd chip in as I'm at a similar level to you, I think, and I'm also seriously considering a horse of my own.

I think the key things for me are, I have a brilliant instructor who would be willing to help me source the horse, and a very competent and friendly yard to keep the horse on.

I'm trying to be realistic about the horse I want, but ultimately I'm willing to be guided by my instructor as he knows best. I'm currently loaning a riding school horse for lockdown and I've had to think about things I didn't have to think about before - for example, I have had two injuries in the last three weeks (concussion and a bulging disc) so I've had to organise other people to ride etc. That's a mitigation I wouldn't have thought about before hand as when taking lessons it doesn't matter if I ride or not the horse is still getting ridden. The other side of that is there are things I would do with 'my' horse if he were mine, and the having little say over his management pushes me toward wanting my own.

The other thing that holds me back is that my partner is non horsey, I'd have to do everything myself and its all consuming in terms of time and money-so something to think about, how will it fit in your family or relationship dynamics? Do you have a horsey support network?

I think at your (our) level, if you have the money to fund it, have the time, and are willing to take advice on both the horse you should buy and that of anyone who knows better in terms of keeping it, then go for it. I know some yard managers and livery staff are mental, so I'm not saying take their word on everything. But I mean if you're willing to seek and take reasonable advice then that will go a long way. I don't think there's ever a right time really.

Sorry for the essay!

Visit site
I bought my first horse aged 12. I didn’t have horsey parents, I just fueled my own passion went for it- but I felt the same way as you. My riding wasn’t great, and I was worried people would judge me based on being ’straight out of the riding school’. But, I had plenty of stable management under my belt and managed just fine on my own. I’d say just do it! If you want to brush up on a few things read something like the pony club manual of horsemanship, it includes things people often forget when looking after horses.
It‘s a massive step but 100 million percent worth it. You’ll learn as you go along, and don’t worry about keeping them at your riding school, I was the same and ruled out that option, but actually in the end everyone was so supportive and helped me out!

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
I think finances, facilities and support are all more important that riding prowess.

Have you done any hacking at all, or just lessons in a school? The way most novice owners get into trouble is by expecting a horse to stay well behaved and relaxed with only 4 very low level schooling sessions a week, and probably limited turnout.

My idea of a good week for a leisure horse would probably be 2 nice long hacks, 2 shorter hacks and 2 schooling sessions. That's a huge amount of time! Of course there are horses that can be turned away for a month and dragged in, saddle slapped on, march out the gate no issues, but these are the exception not the rule- horses like routine.

Also, novice owners are at greater risk of being sold an unsuitable /unsound horse.

If you do buy a horse, I would make sure that you pick a yard carefully - plenty of turnout, a good arena that's not constantly over booked, and easy access to off road hacking (these yards are like gold dust!) And make sure you have the funds to pay a professional to ride the horse for you at least once a week, more often during the first month or so of settling in. On top of weekly lessons for yourself of course.

So it definitely can work, but you really need to take your time to find the right horse, the right yard, and the right support network.

(Fwiw I'm a very competent rider. I've owned a fairly tricky horse before, but I completely underestimated just how perfect the yard set-up was, and how much help I had. I recently bought a tiny little kids pony to keep at home by myself, and I got myself into a right old pickle!)

Winters100

Visit site
To me the most important thing is that you know that you don't know everything. It is usually those who think that they know it all who make the worst mistakes. Owning a horse gives you reminders all the time that there is always more to learn, and as long as you have a combination of the right horse, kept in the right place, and are willing to take advice, then there is nothing to suggest that you would not be a good owner and have a lot of fun. My main advice for a new horse owner would be:

Don't fall in love with a horse at viewing. You need to make the decision to buy with your head, not your heart.

Looks are not important. You need the horse to do a job, and anyway when you get one who does that job well every day you will no longer notice the big head, or the colour that you were not looking for, the horse will be beautiful to you.

Do not underestimate the time and money that you will need, and do not imagine that every day will be dry and sunny

Always have back up plans of what will happen if you are ill or injured? What if the horse is on box rest and needs to be walked in hand 3 times a day? If you have family can you keep them happy and properly manage the household with less time?

Do not buy a youngster. The idea of learning with the horse is a myth which only works out well in teen horse movies. An older horse who has seen it all is much more likely to be a good fit

Find someone who is truly knowledgeable and experienced, and who is independent, and take them to every viewing. I do not mean someone who has owned horses for a few years, but someone who has owned multiple horses for decades. Be wary of any other agenda they might have, I train with a pro who I like in some ways, but I know his limitations, and he has on several occasions urged me to buy horses who would have been perfect for him, but who I would not have enjoyed.

Whatever the seller tells you it is essential to have the horse vetted

The yard with gleaming stables and tack room, but no turnout is not the yard for you. Both you and your horse would be much better off in the one which looks a bit scruffy, but gives the horse plenty of time outside in a pack

If you or your OH value a clean car you will have to downgrade your expectations in this regard once you have a horse

---------------------------

I really think you will be fine. One of the riders who I admire most is a lady on our yard who bought a schoolmaster a year ago. When she first got him home she was very novice, not even really confident in canter. She has ridden him pretty much every day for a year and is now a totally different rider. Everyone starts somewhere, and there is no reason that you will not be successful in this.

Good luck!