Buying a horse - paying

hotdog

Visit site
I'm looking around for a horse to buy and was wondering how to go about paying for it?

Does it make a difference how much it costs? £1k, £5k, £10k?

Cash, cheque, bankers draft, another method, PayPal?

Just curious so I can be prepared when I find the right one!

Thanks

robthecob

Visit site
I paid cash, did a withdrawal from the bank :) I can't remember why I didn't pay cheque, maybe because it took to long to clear :-/

sj_xc_hannah_

Visit site
Have paid cash in the past but most recent horse was a bank transfer (couldn't really have been done any other way). I think that's the best way to do it unless under £1k.

Tuffles 23

Visit site
Hi
I have allways paid cash but have sold a pony by bank transfer which was very easy , i would ask the seller how thay would like to be paid .
Good luck with your horse shopping :)

Morganlafaye

Visit site
So with bank transfer would you arrange for morning the pick horse up after its gone through?

I would always pick up the same day if by bank transfer. Only done it once, and made sure that I was at the yard when I gave the go ahead by phone to transfer the money. It should be instantaneous with most banks.

charlimouse

Visit site
I have paid by bankers draft, bank transfere, and cash before, depending on what the vendor wants. I always ask the vendor how they want to be paid before I arrange collection of the horse.

Moomin1

Visit site
I paid £5250 for my girl, private owner, who didn't know me other than a fair few emails and telephone calls the week prior. She accepted a cheque on the day I collected my horse, and an entire wardrobe of tack and rugs too. Very trusting.

popsdosh

Visit site
Have the people taking cash any idea how much forged currency there is floating about. Bank transfer very quick nowadays and at least safely in your bank.
Also depends on value of horse you may soon come under money laundering rules if a cash transaction.

philamena

Visit site
You're wise to think about it in advance! If you're looking at a decent value horse, don't assume you could take that much cash out of the bank because they don't necessarily have those amounts available to withdraw at no notice. Don't assume you can do a normal transfer either, over a certain amount, it'd need to be a paid for transfer done within office hours and which can take several hours to clear. I'd check all this out with your bank beforehand as they dont publicise their 'limits' or time taken. Thankfully when I last bought the vendor was incredibly trusting and took my word for it that I'd made the transfer and let me pick the horse up with no actual money in her bank account!!!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I paid cash on collection for two and bank transfer for one. I preferred cash on collection, the BT was (for me) a lot of money and I did it the night before so was slightly worried lol.

MegaBeast

Visit site
Have done bank transfer, and half cash, half bank transfer.

Would be surprised if any vendor would take a cheque unless you're prepared to hand a cheque over and then wait for it to clear whilst paying livery for the horse.

suzi

Visit site
Paid cash for the last one even though it wss several thousand. Bank were being difficult about a transfer on a Saturday so I drew the cash out in four chunks over the week before I collected him.

Ilovefoals

Visit site
I've always paid by bank transfer tho with my old bank, it took 48hrs to go through. I transferred the money on the fri and went to collect the horse on the sat and the seller hadn't received the money into her account. It was a 4hr drive there so she did let me take him but only after I'd rung the phone banking service and let her talk to an advisor who told her the money had definitely left my account. Didn't make that mistake again!

Abbeygale

Visit site
I have always paid cash when buying, but received cash, cheques and bank transfers when selling. With bank transfers and cheques, I will only ever arrange delivery (always deliver) with the new owner once I've received confirmation that the money is in my account. Until I've seen the money in my account with my own eyes, I promise and guarantee nothing.

Tash88

Visit site
I paid £3750 for my horse in cash as it was what his owner at the time requested. I think that was how she has always bought and been paid for horses. I then got a £50 note back as good luck money!

trottingon

Visit site
I'm with HSBC and rang them as soon as I'd agreed to buy a particular horse to see what my options were.
When I went to collect the horse I rang them and they transferred the money from my account to the sellers instantaneously and she rang her bank to check it had been received, and hey presto the horse was mine!!!

EllieandGeorge

Visit site
When we sold ours this summer they came and viewed him and then came into the house and did bank transfer using our computer, then took him away. Wouldn't do bank transfer before you're there to see the horse and take it away the same day!

sillygillyhorse

Visit site
Usually pay cash for mine. Have had cash and bank transfers when selling. If bank transfer horse does not leave until money actually in my account and then all risk regarding the horse passes to the purchaser. Online banking seems very instantaneous unless at a weekend.

Jesstickle

Visit site
I bought my big man by bank transfer.

My little mare, I went to view, said I wanted her and then wrote a cheque. I couldn't collect for a week as was off on holiday so seller accepted the cheque and by the time I was back it was all cleared :)

Nicnac

Visit site
Depends on how the vendor wants to be paid - their choice. I've always paid cash but never bought one over 5 grand.

Enfys

Visit site
I always take the asking price in cash with me when I go to see a horse. If I have the trailer we do the deal, get a Bill of Sale and off we go.