Buying a horse that brushes.....advice please!

CATHY30

New User
Visit site
Hi there,

I went to see a really lovely hunter type horse today who I think brushes slightly behind.

He has been placed quite highly at a local County show in working hunter and local hunter and against horses that have qualified for HOYS.

The thing is I am being quite particular about what I am looking for this time! I had a mare that was sold to me as a schoolmistress from an Olympic Irish Event rider who turned out to be extremely nappy and a nasty rearer. Consequently I managed to sell her to a good hunting home who weren't that bothered as they got a very nice mare for a very nice price. So I am now looking for something to restore my confidence which has been knocked.

The chap I saw today seems to tick all the boxes has hunted, SJ, Dsg, shown etc. I really like showing and doing the hunter classes but don't want to get in the ring at Countyish level and get penalised for having him brush.

Any advice would be great before I decide to get my vet out!

Many thanks
Cathy

galaxy

Visit site
Wouldn't know the answer to your question.

But as it's not a specific veterinary problem, I'd move this in the New Lounge. You're more likely to get more responses and I don't think it would be out of place.

Good Luck!

evsj

Visit site
If you are still checking this post, my mare brushes quite badly behind, she is base narrow so to speak. She is so bad that the inside of her feet below her paster and above her heels are permanently bald! I have shown her at larger shows in ridden and working hunter and it has never been an issue - no judges have ever commented on it anyway.
I don't think hind brushing is such an issue as fore brushing or dishing which definately would detract. Hunter classes seem to be more about having a good stamp of a horse which moves with a nice big stride. If he ticks every other box and his brushing is only slight I would give him serious consideration.