Buying a horse with a large crack in hoof?

exracehorse

Visit site
I’m horse hunting after retiring my mare. Viewed one today that was perfect in every respect. BUT. had a wide crack running from coronet band to side of toe. The chap selling is a small time dealer and has only had her a few months. His farrier said it would grow out. As it’s right up to the coronet band, even after a few months, there should probably be some new growth to show. Was a job to tell how deep it went or how wide as it was full of Kevin Bacons hoof grease.

Last edited:

be positive

Visit site
Don't believe anything a dealer tells you if you cannot see it for yourself, he has probably owned it a few days not months unless you have seen proof, has he told you his farrier said it will grow out or have you spoken to the farrier? there is every chance it has not seen the farrier since the dealer bought it so take it with a large pinch of salt.
A crack growing down may grow out but if it is due to the coronary band being damaged rather than an abscess that tracked up then it may never grow out and could get worse in time, I always want to know why a seemingly "perfect" horse ends up with a dealer and this may be the reason.

exracehorse

Visit site
Don't believe anything a dealer tells you if you cannot see it for yourself, he has probably owned it a few days not months unless you have seen proof, has he told you his farrier said it will grow out or have you spoken to the farrier? there is every chance it has not seen the farrier since the dealer bought it so take it with a large pinch of salt.
A crack growing down may grow out but if it is due to the coronary band being damaged rather than an abscess that tracked up then it may never grow out and could get worse in time, I always want to know why a seemingly "perfect" horse ends up with a dealer and this may be the reason.
He said farrier said it would be ok in time. That it had arrived from Ireland with big splayed feet and this crack. It did cause concern to me and I did tell him that. Agree with all you’ve said. Thank you.

be positive

Visit site
If it is a green Irish horse then unless there is something exceptional about it and it is priced so you can overlook a few issues and afford to treat if required then I would walk away as there are plenty more coming over every day and there will be another that ticks the boxes.

2 people on here have bought horses unseen that arrived with poor feet, one took many months to successfully treat, plus a fair amount of money, the other has just started on the journey, I am not sure either would have bought if they had seen the feet.

catembi

Visit site
See my recent posts! Foot is being xrayed on Wednesday at a cost of £300 and I may do a cleantrax soak tonight if I can summon the enthusiasm.

be positive

Visit site
She’s 3k

The magic number, so many are £3k not cheap enough to take a punt in my view as treatment if required could prove expensive, no horse is perfect but if you can see a physical issue that may be a long term problem it is not a great place to start.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
If the crack goes up to the coronary band, there is likely damage to the coronary band and there is a very good chance that the horse will have the crack for the rest of its life.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I had a horse fail a vetting on a similar sounding crack (4yo Welsh D mare, crack up through coronary band). So it could fail a vetting and therefore be uninsurable for that. These things might come right (although unlikely) but in the meantime you've paid for a horse you can't ride and paying for its upkeep. Don't buy one with a known problem-the unknown problems are bad enough!

onemoretime

Visit site
. This ^ ^. ^

rachk89

Visit site
I wouldn't, not for a crack in the hoof that big and to the coronary band.

Not a great example but my horse had a crack in his hoof when I bought him. It grew out, but he did have worse issues that weren't related to the hoof. I'd go by if that's what is on show, what issues are you not able to see.

gunnergundog

Visit site
If you're happy to have a lawn mower for the next 12 months (minimum....AND maybe forever!) then go ahead.

If you want something to ride (hack, school, SJ & XC) this side of Christmas then run a mile.

Either way expect expensive farrier bills (legitimately so!) and possible vet intervention.

There are other horses out there....

exracehorse

Visit site
Thank you guys. Have decided to not go for a another view. It’s a lot of money for a potential problem. Shame as she was a nice mare. I am viewing another Wednesday for a second look.

pansymouse

Visit site
Mine has a permanent crack in a rear hoof; it was there when I bought her and has stayed for the over nine years I've had her. I bought her shod and then transitioned to barefoot and it's never been a problem.

To the OP - I would get your own farrier (or one whose judgement you totally trust) to look at it; they will have a better idea of the prognosis than a vet imo.

pennyturner

Visit site
My welsh D gelding came with a big crack on the outside quarter of both fronts. The best that I have managed is to trim carefully to minimise them, but they have never closed completely as they're growing out from the coronet.

Purely cosmetic for him. He hasn't been lame at all (barefoot).