Buying a horse with problems always view a horse!

Amber and Dottie

New User
Visit site
I am just looking for some advice speak to other horsey people and share experience so far we are currently looking to buy a horse for my teenage 5ft 6 daughter we have her first ridden pony who is outgrown 11h and in between been riding variety horses at local riding school that recently closed. We have been looking for coby types around 14 15 h Most so far that appear suitable are sold before we can view or owner changes mind about selling. Yesterday’s experience with our first viewing certainly re enforces the need to always see the horse. Has feather mites also had deep crack rings on all four feet plus horse was extremely nervy putting saddle on and even pressing weight against back Saddle did fit correctly but could not be mounted in field but we took her against gate and daughter got on and lead her round field pony was now relaxed and of obvious good temperament but lack of bridle we could do no more and perhalps contributed to the pony’s problem. Owner has only had it few weeks bought unseen but with excellent video and her children only sat on has not got fitted bridle yet but has decided to sell as they are too inexperienced for said problems and children are now scared of pony and pony is also scared saddling up and mounting and changing stirrups once mounted when moving she is relaxed and a good plod type. We left at 9.45am and got back at midnight if it wasn’t t such a distance to go back with a bridle to fit and spend time with her she would probably be ok as been shunted from dealers to homes cannot have helped plus couldn’t lift feet despite farrier recently done front feet perhaps more mite infested than can see making pony tender plus might need farrier vet on deep cracks in hooves maybe will just grow out after a previous laminitis issue? or could need more farrier expertise. I just think too many problems to take on appreciate any thoughts.
One thing I have discovered looking for horse is the shear amount shunted from one home to another and dealer to dealer eg one horse we recognise advertised from 3 homes in a couple of months. At this rate we may need to start with a foal!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Definitely one to swerve I think doesnt sound like a great experience! And bearing in mind you couldn't even do much more than amble round in walk I certainly wouldn't be going back, such a pain it was so far but I think you have to really ask so much and ask again to make sure it's not a waste of time, I know that's easier said than done but I am horrified that they expected people to try the horse without a bridle I would be quite cross about that especially after travelling so far.

I think your also looking for the type of horse that half the country are looking for and people selling seem to be getting so greedy with prices at the moment, I know some people that were looking for months so I don't envy you.

Perhaps if you mention where you are other posters may recommend some good dealers you could try sorry I couldn't be much more help.

millikins

Visit site
Poor horse, and what twits not to tell you to bring a bridle. Not much to add as at the other end of the country but have the closing RS sold all their animals? Would be a start as your daughter has ridden some of them.

meleeka

Visit site
No doubt the poor pony will be sold on unseen to some gullible person :(

I couldn’t buy unseen, but there are HHO’s who have and haven’t regretted it. I think to take the chance you’d have to be unsentimental and accept you’d have to make some uncomfortable choices if it wasn’t as described. I’m a soft touch and wouldn’t be able to.

Amber and Dottie

New User
Visit site
Thanks ,unfortunately most of the riding school ones were owned and allowed to to be used in riding school, they have moved out of their livery there I know of one that was at the school that we saw advertised by one of these showjumping horse dealers advertised as the usual safe sensible horse which it was not as my daughter had ridden it although it bucked a lot and threw her she took it as a compliment to her riding that she was given a go of this new horse with back up horse ready to go which they ended up doing Horse probably be alright eventually with Time and training but not in a week or two. We will just have to be patient and always view regardless of description and videos. By watching adverts over many months I am still shocked how many hands some horses pass though in a short period of time can t be good for the horse and health issues not addressed before sale. Thanks all it’s reassuring to talk to you

abbijay

Visit site
Too many years of reading this forum has left me cynical... why on earth would they have a correctly fitting saddle but (assuming it isn't a truly unusual size) fail to spend the last £50 to get a bit and bridle that are at least functional if not perfect, or even borrow something from a friend or yard mate for the sake of a viewing. This suggests to me there could be a problem when ridden off the lead rein or putting a bit in its mouth. Barge and pole spring to mind!

I'm Dun

Visit site
Too many years of reading this forum has left me cynical... why on earth would they have a correctly fitting saddle but (assuming it isn't a truly unusual size) fail to spend the last £50 to get a bit and bridle that are at least functional if not perfect, or even borrow something from a friend or yard mate for the sake of a viewing. This suggests to me there could be a problem when ridden off the lead rein or putting a bit in its mouth. Barge and pole spring to mind!

£50? You can get a cheap old bridle and bit for a fiver on FB marketplace, so there is definitely something not right there!

Equi

Visit site
I’d wager the pony has never been broken at all and that the kids had just been walked about on it a few times hence why they wouldn’t let you bridle it. I’m sure the saddle probably didn’t fit as well as you think it did.

horse searching is a soul killer im so glad I got lucky I’d have given up by now if I was still looking.

[153312]

Visit site
Poor bloody pony ☹️
What a trying experience for you op - hope you find a suitable horse soon, although in the current market it might be more optimistic to say I hope you see rocking horse sh|t.