Buying a horse with Sarcoids

Lurfy

Visit site
My horse has had 2 along his midline in 16 years, both easily treated. It is impossible to predict if a horse will have multiple problematic sarcoids or just the odd one or two. Even though my experience has been ok, I would hesitate to buy a known sarcoid case because I have seen some really bad outcomes. Good luck what ever you decide.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
My most trusted vet says one is not a huge issue in a good place, but once they have multiples you are into unknown territory. He also says that if they have multiples before 6 years old and they are all removed and don't regrow, then you would be very unlucky to get any more after 6 years old because the immune system has been so primed by them.

My current 6 year old sprung them after being moved at 2 and produced more every time he was stressed. They are all gone now, but I still check him every few days and especially after stressful events. Every fly bite reaction brings me out in a cold sweat.

OP the ones you have on this horse are a "good" type and a good place, but there's no doubting the risk and the treatment is both non-insurable in future and very often needs repeating.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
These are flat too.
My mare's first sarcoid was a largish flat one on her inner thigh. I first noticed it when she came back off loan as a 7yo. It has remained mostly dormant, but other flavours of sarcoid have since popped up elsewhere, inc on her belly close to the girth, her jowl and just behind her poll, plus the new ones on her inner thigh adjacent to the flat sarcoid . The ones that could be banded have been.

This year's flare up may have been triggered as her hind gut was causing her issues again late winter/early spring. Stress causes flare ups. I'm hoping, with all fingers firmly crossed, that settling her hind gut by following the recommended equibiome diet changes as I did from late May onwards will also settle her sarcoids.

ycbm

Visit site
Are you planning on vetting, OP, your vet should give you a good steer and maybe be able to help you get a bigger reduction? Though it could be a good idea to send them a photo before paying out for a vetting.

irishdraft

Visit site
I think the problem with sarcoids of whatever type is you just don't know what they may or may not do. Every horse is different, one of my horses has multiple nodular sarcoids on his sheath and prepuce . Over the years I've had them banded & bloodrooted they have gone only to come back but they have never caused a problem as such just a pita dealing with them every few years . So I think you have to decide whether to take the gamble or not x

Hepsibah

Visit site
I have had two who developed sarcoids, both of which were treated with Newmarket cream. Both sarcoids resolved and didn't return. I absolutely wouldn't have bought either of them if they had had the sarcoids when I viewed them though. There are lots of horses out there, why buy a known problem?

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
As I said on another similar thread recently, I would not buy a horse with sarcoids under any circumstances. And I have to say I think his price is utterly ridiculous, for an ex racer, with no particular competition record even in the current market, the owners are really being cheeky I think. Potential is worth nothing, my donkeys and my retired mare could be said to have potential.....but potential for what????

My mare can clear a gate if she takes a notion, the donks can fly around t he field like young racing arabs, but all 3 of them are totally worthless lol! Potential really is worthless and it irritates me when people quote 'potential' as adding value to the horse. Show me a good success record then we are talking value.

If you do go ahead and buy I really hope it works out for you as you obviously want the horse very much. But please, please try and negotiate a more realistic price, you might need that money to treat any future sarcoids and they surely won't be covered by your insurance unfortunately.

Mouse19

Visit site
I think you would have to make the decision could you write the horse off as a ridden horse and just keep as a companion or retire if there were more sarcoids?
Also, people have commented that with sarcoids you should negotiate prices down to rock bottom, with the current market that’s not happening.
I know an event horse that was ridden by a very prominent event rider - think world renowned, that was covered in sarcoids. Even under areas that tack went. They just put sheepskin on under the tack and carried on. The horse was very stoic and competed to 3*. The horse was sold on as it wouldn’t make top level. It sold for over 25k despite the sarcoids. The new owner stepped the horse down to novice as a schoolmaster and having a less busy life the sarcoids were significantly better.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
After almost a year of looking I have found a lovley 7yo gelding that ticks all my boxes. He passed a 5* vetting BUT has 2 sarcoids. Upper back legs no where near tack..

I’ve researched them loads but would you buy?….price £6700 - already negotiated down.

x race horse but retrained in SJ and XC

TIA
I have had two which grew sarcoids after purchase, all were dealt with by the vet. I would check with your vet about removal, and also ask for discount if they can be. if the horse
was perfect then after vets advice I would purchase.

Sassenach_1234

Visit site
Thanks for all the advice. Unfortunately they wouldn’t drop more than £500 and said I was unreasonable for asking for more off his price. I don’t think it’s unreasonable but the person selling got really nasty about it (called me a time waster and spoilt. Note I drove 400 miles twice to see the horse, built a stable and paid £350 for a vetting, so I hardly think that makes me a time waster) It’s a shame as he was a super horse and had he met me in the middle I would gone for him anyway. I’ll be steering clear from him from now on and my search continues.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Sorry the sale has gone pear shaped Sassenach-1234 but I am a great believer in whats meant for you won't go by you. The seller is unrealistic if they think £500 is an adequate price drop for a young ex race horse that already has sarcoids. I suspect they will meet with the same concerns from any further potential buyers.

H&H have a large number of members that are ace at finding decent horses for sale, why not start a new thread describing your wish list and see what the can come up with - good luck with the search. :)

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
OP, sorry that the vendor was so rude, but a £500 drop was way too little. The vendor is probably in denial.
I think you would have to make the decision could you write the horse off as a ridden horse and just keep as a companion or retire if there were more sarcoids?
It's not as simple as that. If the sarcoids become open and weeping then they become a fly magnet, and the flies can transmit the virus to other horses. In any case, you need to keep all rugs, grooming kit etc separate to reduce the risk of transmission if you have a horse with sarcoids.

Melody Grey

Visit site
Well avoided I think OP, they’re having a giraffe with a £500 reduction, that wouldnt even scratch the surface if full treatment was required and the likelihood of all skin conditions being excluded from your insurance for life.

I’d be more in the camp of a £500 contribution for the horse! The horse in my profile pic was purchased with a sarcoid from an offer of £500 (asking price was 3 x this). Vendor was incredibly offended by my offer......then phoned me back the next morning asking if I could collect by lunchtime!
It will no doubt be interesting to see if the price now drops dramatically to something more realistic- keep us posted and good luck with your continuing search x

Mouse19

Visit site
OP, sorry that the vendor was so rude, but a £500 drop was way too little. The vendor is probably in denial.It's not as simple as that. If the sarcoids become open and weeping then they become a fly magnet, and the flies can transmit the virus to other horses. In any case, you need to keep all rugs, grooming kit etc separate to reduce the risk of transmission if you have a horse with sarcoids.
But that’s not an impossible thing to do care wise really. Fairly standard in say race or competition yards or big commercial yards.

Mouse19

Visit site
Keeping tack and rugs separate is the easy bit.

The risk of transmission by flies is the big risk.
It would depend I guess on where the sarcoids are. Could be covered by a fly rug/ boett rug/ fly masks or fly cream. You’d hope they are managed so they don’t weep anyway.

ycbm

Visit site
Thanks for all the advice. Unfortunately they wouldn’t drop more than £500 and said I was unreasonable for asking for more off his price. I don’t think it’s unreasonable but the person selling got really nasty about it (called me a time waster and spoilt. Note I drove 400 miles twice to see the horse, built a stable and paid £350 for a vetting, so I hardly think that makes me a time waster) It’s a shame as he was a super horse and had he met me in the middle I would gone for him anyway. I’ll be steering clear from him from now on and my search continues.

What a shame they were rude but you may have had a lucky escape. It's perhaps a pity that your vet couldn't have helped your case more by making worried comments about them at the vetting, but as someone else has said, things that are meant to be are meant to be, and your dream horse is still out there somewhere.

ycbm

Visit site
It would depend I guess on where the sarcoids are. Could be covered by a fly rug/ boett rug/ fly masks or fly cream. You’d hope they are managed so they don’t weep anyway.

You don't always have a choice about them weeping, it's a stage the bad ones reach no matter how they are managed.

In the two horses I've had with multiple sarcoids, I've developed the impression that their system is riddled with the virus. If that's true, then any fly that bites them anywhere can take it to the next horse they land on.

Sassenach_1234

Visit site
Sorry the sale has gone pear shaped Sassenach-1234 but I am a great believer in whats meant for you won't go by you. The seller is unrealistic if they think £500 is an adequate price drop for a young ex race horse that already has sarcoids. I suspect they will meet with the same concerns from any further potential buyers.

H&H have a large number of members that are ace at finding decent horses for sale, why not start a new thread describing your wish list and see what the can come up with - good luck with the search. :)
That’s a great idea thank you.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Depends where and how many but I wouldnt be put off generally. Ive had 2 with sarcoids. One had one on her face before I got her, the vet advised her owner to PTS as it was close to her eye, she got a second opinion and that vet treated with Liverpool cream which sorted it. She was left with a black scar but you cant see it beneath a bridle and its never caused issues. She had another small one between her front legs, I smeared sudocrem and turmeric on it for 2 weeks and it shriveled up and went away, that was 4 years ago and still cant even feel or see it. My other horse is my veteran now 23, I bought him at 5 with one on the underneath of his tail and one which came on his flank where the hair goes different directions - both got angry one summer, again I treated both with sudocrem and turmeric - the one on his side went away and has remained a tiny bump ever since, the other is still the same size under his tail. So personally Ive not had any issues to worry me.

asmp

Visit site
Just been looking at the Billy Stud auction. The highest priced horse while I was looking was going for over £50000 but the vets report says it has a sarcoid. Thought that was interesting.