Buying a horse with 'treated' sarcoids.

fuzzles

New User
Visit site
I am buying a horse with a sarcoid that has been banded and now dropped off and one that has been treated with cream and dissapeared.
I couldn't see any signs of others and these old ones were no where near where tack would go etc.
The price reflects the sarcoids. My farrier tried to put me off the horse by telling me it would get lots more and be in an awful lot of pain.
Other people have had succesful treated sarcoids that have never returned.

I would be interested to hear your stories :)

YasandCrystal

Visit site
I have been lucky enough to have been virtually given a lovely young mare with a sarcoid which I will have treated. Yes there is a risk she will get more, but then there are risks with every horse. Every friend I have told has said that sarcoids would never put them off a horse and that comment came from a friend whose old horse had prolific sarcoids between his hind legs of all places. She had them treated several times and she rode him up until was pts at 31 yrs old.

I have read many stories where treated sarcoids have never returned nor new ones reappeared.

Polos Mum

Visit site
If the horse is:
- perfect in every other way
- virtually free to reflect the issue
- you have money set aside from day 1 to treat them if they come back, and
- you're happy to give up riding for a while if one does come up on a tack area

then go for it. You could buy a horse free of them then find one 2 weeks later equally you are taking on a big known issue.

flyingfeet

Visit site
On of our homebreds had a massive scarcoid come up the size of a golf ball on her belly, this got banded and dropped off

Nothing had recurred since - I think she had this aged 10 and she is now 18! Not sure what caused it or why nothing else appeared

fuzzles

New User
Visit site
On of our homebreds had a massive scarcoid come up the size of a golf ball on her belly, this got banded and dropped off

Nothing had recurred since - I think she had this aged 10 and she is now 18! Not sure what caused it or why nothing else appeared

Thanks guys :) Good to see some more positive comments.

Spring Feather

Visit site
I have a pony who had a sarcoid when she was 4 years old, which I treated. She has never had any further sarcoids during the past 16 years. She is now 20 years old.

micki

Visit site
One of my horses had 3 sarcoids turn up when he was 2 years old. They all got treated with bloodroot cream, except one that was left because of where it was, and they have all cleared up and so far not come back, that was 4 years ago. My vet doesn't seem to thin they will be a propblem now as no more have turned up.
So if the horse is what you want then i would buy it and just hope no more come and if they do get them treat.

mandwhy

Visit site
Yes if the horse was what I wanted and significantly reduced in price.

I think it can be a good way of getting a horse far beyond your expectations within budget, the same with cribbing, which wouldn't bother me in itself.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have bought several horses with sarcoids in each case the price reflected the price of treatment .
None of these horses have gone on to develop awful problematic sarcoids all required more than one treatment before they where laid to rest.
I have one of them now sarcoid free a year and half now I check minutely at least twice a week as soon as anything appears I am onto it he's had three treatments so far.
The last tiny possible sarcoid I spotted I smothered with high flouride profession tooth paste it disappeared , of course it may not have been one it was so small it was hard to tell but that's considerably cheaper than the lasering he's had on the others ( which where bigger and definatly vet jobs ).
The problem with banding is that it does not kill any tissue behind the sarcoid so there's less chance of getting rid of the virus that causes them.
That's the advantage of lasering they burn back well behind the sarcoid.
If you like the horse and you can afford the treatment I would discuss the potential costs with your vet so you understand what you are taking on I would say I would go for it.
I would not take a horse on if they had been in problematic places,ie the girth area or the face.
For reference I think it will have cost around £1500 for fatties treatments so far.

fuzzles

New User
Visit site
I have bought several horses with sarcoids in each case the price reflected the price of treatment .
None of these horses have gone on to develop awful problematic sarcoids all required more than one treatment before they where laid to rest.
I have one of them now sarcoid free a year and half now I check minutely at least twice a week as soon as anything appears I am onto it he's had three treatments so far.
The last tiny possible sarcoid I spotted I smothered with high flouride profession tooth paste it disappeared , of course it may not have been one it was so small it was hard to tell but that's considerably cheaper than the lasering he's had on the others ( which where bigger and definatly vet jobs ).
The problem with banding is that it does not kill any tissue behind the sarcoid so there's less chance of getting rid of the virus that causes them.
That's the advantage of lasering they burn back well behind the sarcoid.
If you like the horse and you can afford the treatment I would discuss the potential costs with your vet so you understand what you are taking on I would say I would go for it.
I would not take a horse on if they had been in problematic places,ie the girth area or the face.
For reference I think it will have cost around £1500 for fatties treatments so far.

Thank you. I believe she is cheap enough to justify any future treatment etc.

HelenS

Visit site
My mare developed them at around 5. I had them treated, they went, and never came back. I lost her when she was 18.

Her son, who is rising 4 has now developed them. We are treating them by homeopathy first, and there has been some changes, with some bits falling off. A couple run along the edge of his sheath... not a nice place to have them so we are using the gentle methods first :eek:

A horse on our yard has has very bad sarcoids, he is 31 and bright and happy.

As someone said earlier, you could buy a horse without sarcoids but that doesn't mean they won't develop later.

They are a pain but if the horse 'ticked all the boxes' in everything else, I'd take a chance on it with the knowledge that I may have to have them treated in the future.