buying a horse

ceva

Visit site
Hi, some thoughts please, I am age 63, have been riding for a very long time and hunt most seasons, unfortunately I lost my 20 yr old mare that I had from a foal, last christmas. I decided I was too old to own another horse so I help out at a Hunt yard some of the time and get to hunt the horses regularly, as i had no horse now for the summer, I decided to have two of the hunt horses over so i had something to ride out. They are at livery near my home. You have guessed it i have got quite attatched to one of them, the other is too expensive and a big beast of a horse but very kind.
The other is blind in one eye which doesn't generally affect him, he had the whip on him the last day of the season, you just have to be careful when you approach the blind side.
Right my dilema is this, do I buy the one eyed horse as he very cheap and only eight (it was a accident not hereditory). He hacks out alone or in company, very good to handle, clip shoe etc, I have known him for 3 years, he hunts very well and I can hack to many hunts in my area on occasions.
OR do I just carry on helping out at the hunt yard when they return there after the summer. Am I now too old to be contemplating taking on another horse. Decisions, decisions.

MontyandZoom

Visit site
My mum has just got her first horse at the age of 64 after helping with mine for many years and she is nowhere near as experienced as you. I also am the proud owner of a one eyed mare who hacks, hunts, and jumps with no problems at all (and cost me nothing!!)

I think you are in a great position knowing the horse for such a long time before purchase. I think it sounds ideal :)

I say go for it!!

debsflo

Visit site
definatley not too old, i would maybe talk and think about what plans you could have though if you became ill or something happened to you just for peace of mind.. enjoy ....

ceva

Visit site
Thanks Montyandzoom, it good to know that having one eye won't hinder the horse, we just find when he jumps he usually puts a big one in to compensate for not being able to judge his ground line, but he always feels very safe. I think your right, i don't think i want to be without a horse of my own it helps me get up in a morning and keeps me fit.

ceva

Visit site
That is what did worry me as all my family have flown the nest, and have different lives, so if anything happens to me I would have to talk with the hunt yard and see if they would give him a home again if I become unable to have him, but i know if he became unable to hunt they would not be able to keep him as a pet.

I guess in my mind if he good for another 5/10 years then i could just keep him as a pet if I or he became unable to ride.
(my sister had a massive stroke a year ago and she was only 65, so it does worry me a bit)

L&M

Visit site
Go for it!

We have plenty of 'more mature' people who hunt with us and some own more than one horse. In my time with my pack I have also seen 2 one eyed horses - 1 in the field and the other as a hunts horse and both have coped just fine.

The best thing for you is that you know the horse well and that it is an experienced hunter, an enviable position when making the decision.

None of us know what is around the corner, but life is for living and you may not get this opportunity again.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

PorkChop

Visit site
You are never too old! You are in the very fortunate position of being very experienced and have first hand knowledge of this hunter. the eye would not put me off if I knew it didn't affect performance - go for it.

Sorry you lost your mare x

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Go for it! No one knows what the future holds, and it is good practice for all of us to have a plan for our horses if something happens to us.

I know a lot of mature riders. It keeps you young!

Summer pudding

Visit site
I am 64 and contemplating buying a pony (after a long break) for all the good reasons everyone else has come up with, and I'm not as brave and experienced as you - go for it, it sounds like a really super horse!

oldie48

Visit site
I've just bought a new horse at the age of 65, I didn't start riding until I was 50 and this is the GTversion of my old horse! Go for it, you only live once (and you only die once too!!)

soulfull

Visit site
like everyone else says, your not too old. my friend is 72 this year and she still does Sj. funrides and arena eventing

bluehorse

Visit site
Buy him, he sounds perfect! A horse on my yard has very recently had his eye taken out. He does carry his head differently so that he can see better, and we're always careful to speak to him whilst approaching on his blind side. Other than that, he's better than ever.

The other thing is that this horse is obviously an established hunt horse. I'm sure that if you did need to move him on on later down the line, with your network you would have no trouble in finding him another top home :)

Nessa4

Visit site
I'm 63 too and I've got a soon to be backed cob cros who was supposed to stop growing at 15.2 but hasn't!!! Your idea sounds much more sensible!! Go for it - the horse sounds ideal - one eye will not affect him, I used to ride a RS pony with one eye and you'd never have known except that she held her head at a peculiar angle when bogging off with you up the bridle path!

merlin12

Visit site
Buy this horse. If you are concerned about what may happen to the horse ,when you shuffle off this mortal coil, you could talk to WHW and make provision in your will.

This horse sounds perfect for you, and what you want to do. This is a great opportunity to get a horse that you know well.

I have a friend of 84 who rides daily and still goes to dressage competitions. You are a spring chicken by comparison.

Have fun and enjoy life horses keep you fit and help you to make friends. x

LillyBeth

Visit site
yes absolutely, my stepdad is 67 and runs half marathons - fitter than me! :p absolutely why not, you know what you're doing and you know the horse. the responsible thing to do is know someone is there to care for the horse should anything happen, but i think all of us want to have that security whether you're 25 or 75.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
No one can see what will happen in the future, I am 47 and having to think about a new horse, as mine has issues. I must admit I did take a few moments to think about my age but soon moved on!:) . It is important to think about what will happen to our animals if we pass away. I was sideswiped off the moterway by a lorry driver last year so it doesnot have to be age related. The thing is most of us do not have crystal balls (some might you never know) so it is best just to get on and do our best. Get the horse have fun but just be sure arrangements have been made for him. Mine are written in my Will, just in case.
There is a horse at my sisters yard who had had one eye removed. That horse does BE 100. Theonly diffrence is they have put foam up on one side of his stable door so he does not knock his head.

Merrymoles

Visit site
I think we are all of the same mind! Make provision for him if something happens to you (WHW is a good idea) and then do it!

Go for it girl!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I agree, buy him.
When I was 58, I bought a 2 yr old cob to make 16hh, one year later, she is almost that now and probably has quite a bit of growing still to do!
I intend to be riding her until she is too old. I would say "She will be my last horse" but having said that a previous horse who had to be pts at a young age, I avoid that now.
This horse sounds perfect for you, you know him well. Yes, you need to make provision for him now in the event that you can't later but we all should do that.

Ceriann

Visit site
Go for it - you sound like the decision is more or less made and likely you'd be gutted when he went back. If he works for you and it sounds like he does then age shouldn't stop you - any one of us could be gone tomorrow so do what you can today to make you happy. Best of luck with him he sounds lovely.

JJS

Visit site
Go for it! You don't know what will happen in the future. As someone who has just lost their horse of a lifetime, I understand how life can twist and turn when you least expect it to. None of us ever know how long we, or our horses, will be around. Any one of us could die tomorrow, whether we're nineteen or ninety-nine, so just enjoy the time you have here. It sounds like you'll give him a wonderful life, and you seem to make each other happy - that sounds like a perfect pairing to me. Really, it would be more unfair of you not to ;)